2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

mace thx...flights are about GBP 140 return, hotel about GBP 100 per night...big choice on offerimage.  Marriott is right by the start.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

...although thinking about it, if you're looking for a family trip, Frankfurt is not exactly high on a list of "places I must visit"...image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Race list on Skydrive is here...

https://skydrive.live.com/#!/edit.aspx?cid=FD94FCEE2B43A00F&resid=FD94FCEE2B43A00F%21154&app=Excel

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Evening allimage 4m recovery plod for me- got easier as it went onimage

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Stewart,

Thanks.

Tek,

16 June Purbrook Ladies 5.---------Well done on everyone's training.  I've been out for 3 miles after work (ave pace 11:23)

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭
    Tek, nice 3 miler nice and easy enjoy the 10 tomorrow

Mace, can't get below 70% 76% avg for me tonight but it did feel easy

Jason, good to see the run has helped loosen up the legs

NP, enjoy the sun and recover well image

HM4, nice 3 miler

Went out for a recovery run tonight around the canal 6 miles in 1:05 @10:48mm avgHR 148(76%) lowest hr this week
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

A lot of recovery running going on! I have not been out yet but did watch the elites at VLM last night.image

Teknik, earlier you said Frankfurt was cold....how cold? Would it be much the same as Amsterdam?

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Jason good to get on your feet again - nice recovery

HM well done on the run after work. Purbrook added.image

Stewart nice 6 miler.  It will take weeks for the HR to "normalise", but you're heading in the right direction!

Fiona I don't think there's much difference in weather between Amsterdam and Frankfurt.  Having travelled a lot in both countries my impression is that winter in Germany is earlier and colder, but the average stats for the two cities are very similar - average min 6C, max 13C for late October.  Last year Amsterdam was ok (see the pictures - supporters in jackets, runners in vests) whereas Frankfurt, a week later, had snow the night before (it didn't settle) and was -2C rising to 2C on the day.  Everyone except me was in snoods and leggings.  For me that was perfect mara running conditions....

---

Talking of the weather, it cost be a few bpm on my MP run this morning.  1m w/up then 10m at "MP". Sunny and humid 14C.  Struggled to keep it under 83%max and only managed 8:00mm.  Hoping the weather turns cooler again...

• Good running teknik..... if your not sub3:30 you will be ver very close image

10m for me too today. 3 with lulu followed by a 7 on my own. finished before 8:15 am image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Fiona C wrote (see)

Teknik, earlier you said Frankfurt was cold....how cold? Would it be much the same as Amsterdam?

Fiona - this year will be my 5th in a row in Amsterdam. Weather is always near perfect for running. The race is extremely well organised but as Teknik says, it's absolutely a destination city too. A fantastic weekend away.

2013 will be my first in Frankfurt and I'm going there purely to run as apparently there's not much else going for the place

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Tek,

Thanks.  I'll be better trained for that one than this image!

Stewart,

Thanks.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Tek- nice running! I prefer the cooler weather too- could have done with it last Sunday!image

AGF- nice 10image

Stewart- sounds like recovery is well in progressimage

HM4- If we include everyone's races under half, the list will become unmanageable! Just thinking of poor old Tek's workload! lol! Well done on the 3image

Seems that I am no 1 on Run Britain Rankings for the marathon for Welsh M45s so far this year imageimage

Club photo shoot tonight for VLM medals, followed by my shortest run for years! - 2.43m in 19.18 imageimage It felt MUCH longer.....

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Well done jason, great placing on Run GB! image

AGF nice run, Lulu must be happy when it's cooler but you get out early so no time to warm up by then.

I feel the cold so the thought of a marathon in 2 degrees is not great! Amsterdam a week before Frankfurt this year so slight chance of being milder....maybe. I did Amsterdam in 2011 Johnas and it was good, just got their newsletter so tempted. image

I hope NN's ankle still on the mend and that NP and Anita having a great holiday image

Looking forward to the weekend run although it'll be Baltic compared to last week.

F

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Fiona- you been out yet? A few very slow miles will do you the world of good now image

• macemace ✭✭✭
    Nice running folks and top stuff jason, very impressed.

I have a po10 account now and ranked 385 for mara @ V45 image a bit of work to catch Jason upimage

Not much to report here, yesterday off and maybe today as well but walking to and from work which clocks up 3M a day.

Inaugural local parkrun tomorrow so I think I might have a jog around that.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Tek, thanks for the info. Sounds lime frankfurt may have to wait a couple of Years. I've also been looking at Amsterdam, Dublin, Chester etc etc image
  • Morning..

Fiona Jason and NP hope you are  recovering well and getting back into it, my brother is still struggling with the stairs...bless him..lol..shouldn't laugh

Stewart and Mace I guess its still early days for you both too hope its all going well.

AGF great to see you building the miles back up.

Tek looking good you must be raring to go, sub 3.30 on the cards image

HM4 well done on entering a race, its great to have a target.

Still taking it easy at the moment , I have managed a few short runs without too much trouble , still icing and massaging and I can actually get out of bed and weight bare straight onto  my right foot without it hurting, the physio said when I can do that I can safely build the miles up again, it was always worse in the morning and after sitting down for a while but with all the recovering and slower taper running  going on here I don't feel too out of place image

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

jason I know I should have been out by now! image My toes are still very sore which sounds pathetic but blisters under the nails that I keep sticking pins into! image

Planning a hill run at the weekend, an easy run on the flat and will get back to the weights. Do you have thoughts on periodisation? As in strength/conditioning phase, cut back of miles and adding in say a turbo session or two? I prefer to run but not sure what is best? image

51st V40here on Po10 for 2013 marathon!

Nice to hear that the ankle is easing NN.

• macemace ✭✭✭

Blimey, i've moved up 2 places to 383 and i haven't run for 2 days image

Fiona - sounds nasty, have a paddle in the sea, that will sort them out image Small price to pay for 51st V40 though image

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Tek, it is certainly getting cooler this weekend, when is your race? 

AGF, good to see your getting the miles in again

Jason, congrats on ther run britain rankings, hope the legs are recovering

Fiona, Saturday looks like being the best day, I'll be playing cricket and running in the rain and wind on Sunday image

Mace, enjoy the jog round parkrun tomorrow

NN, good news about the ankle image

------------------------------

JS run last night took the 6 mile group, a little windy and a heavy shower for 20 minutes, which didn't spoil the run, the pace was a little quicker than I planned but it slowed up in the last couple of miles

Stats: 6:48m in 1:03:14 @9:45mm avgHR160(84%)

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Johnas are you doing Amsterdam AND Frankfurt???

HM I don't mind posting the races at all - gives us all something to look forward to. It'll be a long boring summer otherwise...image

Jason congrats on the Welsh M45 placing!

Fiona I think the extra week makes all the difference - it suddenly turned cold last year on the Frankfurt mara week-end.  Nice V40 placing!  Ouch at the blisters image

Mace enjoy the parkjog tomorrowimage

NN I can't wait!!  Wishing your foot well soon(er)

Stewart I'm up Monday 6th May, so another week yet. Well done on the JS run.

OH how's your training going?

===

Normal Friday - massage, hot yoga then a 3m recovery jog.  All ok.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Week-end racers...

28/04/13 Manchester                      Spark, Simon Fawke, HeOw
    28/04/13 Loop van Vlaanderen 25k  Emmy

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Teknik wrote (see)

Johnas are you doing Amsterdam AND Frankfurt???

I'm entered to do the Half in Amsterdam but will either jog it or pace some friends round. Last year paced a mate to 1.38 and a 5 minute PB.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Fiona- ouch! Hope the blisters better soon. Take it easy

stewart- nice running image

good luck to all the weekend racers!!!

no point in trying to second guess them, but apparently the GFA times for VLM are being reviewed- times published on website end of May....

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo !

• Tek - Good training today

Stewart - Nice run last night image

Mace/Jason/Fiona - Well done on the impressive rankingsimage

--------------

Light weights at the gym last night. I'm going to get serious over the summer, I am going to make it to the gym twice a week and get some strength back!

1.25km swim today, gym and some cardio (spinning or swimming)tomorrow.

Ankle still isn't sorted. If it's not good to go in a couple of weeks I might be looking at next April (Paris is the current favourite) as my next marathon instead of Loch Ness in September. It's still a while away, but I do have a lot on between now and September which will stop training for a while...

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Fiona,

Ouch.

Tek,

Ok.  I don't do too many races and this year I'm going to be one short as I've got a wedding to go to up in York and the race is in London.

--------

Well done on everyone's training.

• Good training Tek and SM6 

Longest run tomorow for me after Rotterdam but looks like its going to be a bit chilly again.

• Last long run before Cape Wrath planned for Monday.
    Hopefully restful w/e on call before then (today is the first day with no exercise since last Friday)

StewartC - I love your Avatar - the position of your hands and the overlaid © make it look like you're skipping along image

FionaC Only time I got blood blisters under my toenails was the first of 3 races (HM/HM/12mil) over 3 weekends last year! Right or wrong I decided just to drain them and carry on with plan. They survived image

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for hotels in Amsterdam? Stayed at the Hilton last time which was good but if any recommendations for something closer that would be handy! Just booked flights. image

F