P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

good to see everyone recovering image. My plan was to run this morning if I woke up before alarm. I didn't. Still very very tired image ... maybe a first gentle jog tomorrow. Feet are starting to get itchy image

• 15W - on the running club issue, I definately think it would be good. And you are clearly good enough to pick the club you want to go to. I am in the awkward position of currently moving from local club (first club I joined) to go to a bigger club. I have loved running for the local club as its so friendly and everyone is so nice. But I have done all the training by myself outside of the club, mainly because I wanted to do more than was prescribed at the club and also find it hard running at set times with work and kids. I'm hoping that a move to the new club will kick start some serious training with people who are far better runners than me to hopefully improve my own running. The new club also has more runners of a higher standard so I'll be able to enter more team events which will appease my (far too) competetive nature. So I would choose carefully which club you join and make sure it meets your own needs. Don't be afraid to go and try before you buy!

As for the DOMS - I reckon its because your T shirt was too heavy!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Manchester people - still not sure where I'll go to support - looking at map might get tram to Brooklands and watch you poor mugs twice at 9mi and 16.5mi....or I might stick with mile 21. Or I might just stay in bed!

Don't go crazy with the carbs, despite me telling everyone not to go overboard with carb loading, I did carb up quite a bit friday and saturday before VLM and I felt really quite sh!t on saturday afternoon. This may not have been due to the carbs of course, but I have a feeling it was.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Stu, I want to do parkrun on Saturday too! But I think I will be sensible and leave it another week.

AG, I also skipped the Friday run but did the Saturday one.

My running club is not really that 'serious' at all and we just go for runs of various distances but don't have specific targeted training sessions. I'm happy with it for now but am not sure whether it might be good for me to join a bigger club in the future with track facilities etc. I don't drive though so it would be a bit awkward getting to one.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Are all the Manchester people carbloading now?

• 15W +1 with Chris, DOMs can be seriously worsened by inappropriate running attireimage

I found my carb loading worked better in the last couple of miles this time

• Lit, i think i've been carb loading since December :-

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Aaaw 15, you can't stay in bed on Sunday - just think of the fun you'll have watching some of us sufferingimage

I'm just pondering the carb-loading. My diet is mostly carbs anyway, so I guess I don't need to change much...just maybe eat a bit more? I can't really remember what I did last year on the loading front but whatever it was it worked as I had no 'wall' issues...mind you, I was munching on gels every 4 miles or so.

It's my leaving do from work tomorrow evening and I can't load with the alcoholic version of carbs image

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Mansion - nope, but a nice long shared drive with 6 others.

Chick - No medical tent but I did spend some time under the care of others - I passed out (or man feinted if you must) in Chandos, as described by someone on another thread 'Hi - I'm Mennania....Thud!' As it turns out I fell onto a nurse who saw me right and all a bit embarrassing but ok.

Shazmo - bad timing on the leaving do - I took on Fig rolls and Malt loaf as snacks between high carb main meals and got to about 8g per kg body weight and stopped after a mid afternoon lunch on the Sat.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I totally believe in carb loading now because I didn't enjoy it and felt quite heavy on the Friday and Sat and could only just do my jacket up, but on the Monday all my clothes felt normal and there was an extra inch of space in there. And mile 24 was one of my fastest.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Shazmo - Can't you defer the leaving do? You could increase the carbs a bit on Friday afternoon and saturday morning, but as you have a high carb diet anyway the affect of this diet with reduced training might well be enough.

• I'm running at parkrun on Saturday - well sort of.  I volunteered as the tail runner so will be walk/jogging in around 45 mins I think.

AG - I also didn't run on Friday, but did a couple of gentle miles on Saturday as I find it means the legs are a bit looser the next day.

Carb loading is tough, but just try to make sure you eat plenty carbs spaced throughout the day.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Fiona - what about Sunderland on sunday?

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

15W, I can't defer the leaving do as it's for the whole Company (redundancy). I will survive on zero or minimal alcohol image

Menn, thanks for the 8g per kg of bodyweight tip...should I start today and see it through to Saturday, you reckon? Any more advice on carbo loading would be greatly appreciated.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Men - I'm lost for words! I do not have the strength of mind to run at those heart rates! image  Brilliant stuff.

AgentGinger wrote (see)

Lit, i think i've been carb loading since December :-

That's certainly how I felt by the third day!  I missed out my Saturday run because I walked too much going to the expo and stuff on the Friday.  I'm certain I did the right thing (on Saturday I mean - not Friday).

Gorgeous day today. Pining for a long run as I drove past the increasingly spring-like countryside.  Rest day though, so I can't even do a short run. Must keep patient.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Tenjiso wrote (see)

Gorgeous day today. Pining for a long run as I drove past the increasingly spring-like countryside.  Rest day though, so I can't even do a short run. Must keep patient.

I had a dream last night where I forgot I'd already been for a run and accidentally went for a second run. I think I'm suffering from hardcore training withdrawal.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Shazmo - don't do anything too different or try things you haven't tried before. Just make sure you have a higher ratio carb/protein on your plate, more spuds, less meat.

Also - you can snack between meals...malt loaf, toast, cereal etc etc.

Don't eat silly amounts late saturday evening or you won't sleep properly.

You can also top up your carbs and electrolytes in the days leading up to the race with sports drinks.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I missed out on the saturday run too - was walking round expo and Greenwich quite a bit that day.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Shaz - plenty of solid loading advice on here - I personally start on the Thursday with Friday being the heaviest day and and stop fretting about it after 4 on the saturday - I have a small rice or pasta dish for dinner and some sports drinks or juice. Nice normal breakfast a good few hours before start on race day with maybe a banana and some sports drinks in the last couple of hours before race. Gel with 15mins to go before start (controvertial I know) and one every 5 miles thereafter with swigs of water and sports juice as necessary on the run but not too much.

Ten - was staggered at the HR when I looked at it on Tuesday night. If i had checked it real time on my watch I would have probably jibbed it in there and then on the day!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    Mennania wrote (see)

Ten - was staggered at the HR when I looked at it on Tuesday night. 

Is that when you regained consciousness? image

Lit - I had enough running dreams in the taper!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Keep changing my mind where I'm going to be supporting on sunday. Now have a plan where I can watch you 4 times...hope my daughter doesn't mind, I'm sure she won't as long as she can help herself to the jelly babies.

So - might get to stretford, watch at 5.5 miles, get on a tram to brooklands and watch at 9 and 16.5 miles, and then back on tram to stretford to watch you coming in at mile 24.5.

Alternatively I could swap brooklands for altrincham and watch at miles 12.5.

HeOw, Shazmo, Craig, AG - I need numbers and tshirt descriptions etc.

I've got pre marathon spectating nerves.

• Ten - gorgeous day.  Not here. Pouring rain all day. Absolutely miserable and very relieved that I don't have to run.  Might get the foam roller out tho'

15W - well I have to decide by tonight as entries close tomorrow at lunchtime.  Very tempted. The thing that is currently putting me off most is that I'll need to get the train at 7:10 to get there in time to pick up a number.  Decisions, decisions. image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Fiona you nutter - DO IT!

My OH has just told me my marathon spectating plan is a bit over the top.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Will do, 15 when I've decided once and for all what Im wearing....you know us womenimage

And thanks for the carb loading advice everyone.

Have those that aren't racing again soon suffering from the post-marathon blues/feel like there's something missing feeling? I know I did after last years.
  • Mennania wrote (see)

Chick - No medical tent but I did spend some time under the care of others - I passed out (or man feinted if you must) in Chandos, as described by someone on another thread 'Hi - I'm Mennania....Thud!' As it turns out I fell onto a nurse who saw me right

Great timing and placement Mennimage

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Have those that aren't racing again soon suffering from the post-marathon blues/feel like there's something missing feeling? I know I did after last years.

A little - which is why I keep toying with the idea of entering Chester marathon in the autumn. At moment though still sticking to shorter races, going to enter Warrington half in September, East Manchester 10k in June...maybe Buston half at end of May, Freckleton in August....and then there's Chester...hmmmmm....

• Carb loading is so much harder than you think.  For my weight I need about 800g carbs  for the 10g per kilo rate, when you consider an average portion of pasta you would be served would be about 75g for a main meal it makes you realise how much you need to eat.

I had a xmas pud which with a bit of custard slammed about 120g in a time.  By the 4th portion on Saturday lunchtime I was definitely going off Christmasimage

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Shazmo, I'm not suffering from post-marathon blues, just feeling really quite smug. But I am missing getting enough exercise, as it's clearly not a good idea to plunge straight back into running (risk of injury) but I have all my usual energy back.

On the subject of smug bastards, did anyone else join the lucozade elite thing just to get a free t-shirt?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I think carb loading has fallen out of fashion a bit. Seems to be carry on eating your normal runners diet which should be high carbs anyway, and reduce training. A lot of people think the weight gain and lethargy etc from all the extra carbs out weigh the benefits - especially with being able to fuel up during the race.

Saying that, for lunch on saturday I had a few pastries, a paella and a big bag of chips with a bread roll all from different places in Greenwich. Blurgh.

• SIS carb powder is your friend. Mixed with water it actually tastes ok and each bottle full gives over 50g of carbs. So 3 x carb bottles a day = 150 grammes of carbs a day. Not a bad way of topping up the carb stores in between meals without having to feel sick. I do warn you, it makes you fart like a trooper mind! My poor wife wished that she had booked a seperate room for VLM weekend.