Blister under big toe nail, what to do?

After running the VLM Sunday I have a blister under my big toe. having never had one before under my big toe what do I do? Will my toe nail fall off, do I pop it, what?

Thanks peeps.

Comments

• Personally I would pop it carefully with a very thin sterile needle, put it through the nail or under at the edge so it pierces the blister, and releases the fluid, the pain relief is instant. Having said that I get it virtually every long run so it's nornal for me now.

If in doubt or squeamish go to your local docs and the nurse will pop it and dress it, no big deal happens all the time and likely the nail will fall off in time.

• If the nail raises itself off the bed, yes you can. Make sure you sterilise the needle. You might have to do this several times over the course of a few days.

You may lose the nail, I've had an occasion where I did and one where I didn't. It's better if you do IMO, far less painful.

• Does the nail grow back? If so how long does it take, how does it affect running with no toe nail on big toe. Got to start training again next week for great north.

• Yes it does. It takes about 9 months. During that time you can run on it but you might need to put a plaster over it just to keep it comfortable.

• StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

Wait at least 48 hrs and pop it with sterile needle. leave well alone and it may not come off if just a water blister. if it's a blood blister it usually comes off of its own volition in about 4-6 weeks, blister size dependent. If it comes off naturally you can run straight away in my experience.

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I've had this loads and I usually pop the blister straight away (I can't wait, and I love things like this!) and then pull the nail off.  If you do this, have some clippers handy as sometimes the whole nail comes off and sometimes it doesnt.  You dont have to pull of nail without the blister underneath.

I usually get this after races, but  not after training runs.  I guess I am going harder when racing but it's still a bit random.

If the entire nail comes off, it takes ages to grow back and will probably grow back a little different.  Mine are thicker and more brittle.

Nice!!