Options

Breathing

Who can explain the proper technique for breathing while running at pace?

Comments

• Options
    1. in
    2. out
    3. go to step 1. 
    Just breathe naturally. There is no special technique.
  • Options

Take air in........ then let it out, more quickly than when you are at rest......image

I don't know any "proper technique" other than what works best for you. 

• Options
    Thanks for that, its just i dont feel i actually use the bottom part of my lung thats all
  • Options
    Breathe deeper then - the idea is to get as much O2 in as possible. Though maybe you are running too fast too soon?  sometimes at a pace you cannot maintain you tend to breathe shallower because your body is requesting more O2 so are panting -  you cannot get enough in. If you try to breathe deeper and slower though in this condition it doesn't work!
  • Options

Get a power breathe? They're supposed to encourage you to use your lungs better.

I'd get your peak flow tested too if you feel you can't get a full lungful in.

• Options
    DomFDomF ✭✭✭
    2 steps breathing in, 2 steps breathing out unless going flat out, then you breathe through your eyeballs as well.
  • Options
    tried breathing more from belly rather than chest, feels like it might work. thanks for all advice, need to improve it if i want to start running 10k in under 43min
  • Options
    Linked to this in another breathing thread just now...

I found an interesting but short article on how to breathe when running that seems to be working for me: http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/how-to-breathe-when-running/

Might be worth a look for others too.
  • Options
    I am quite new to running (currently using a run/walk programme and am now on week 5), and last week in particular I really was struggling on the runs to get in enough air.

I had a little read around the forums and the advice i got was to try to find a rhythm that suits you, allow you to take in as much O2 as possible, and helps you relax.

This week when running, I have been inhaling for 3 steps and exhaling for 4, and quickening this to 2:3 when needed. I have found that this has helped me so much- I haven't struggled for breath, and have actually run over my scheduled run time without realising image

You will find something that suit- just don't stress to much about it!
  • Options

Just relax and find what suits you.

Did martial arts for years where they teach in through nose and out through your mouth - no use at all to me when running so found mouth only breathing works for me. Long in breaths gave me a stich

• Options
    PowerBreathe is garbage.
  • Options

Deep is good.  Breathing deeper means less breaths as it takes a step or two longer to fill your lung fully but you gain more O2 and tire more slowly .  Steady breathing helps maintain steady relaxed running and therefore better pacing and finishing times.  Counting  steps helps.   Each runner has to find the rhythm that works best for t hem.  

• Options

im in need of help, for some reason before i run i get quiet nervous, when i run i find it really hard to get my breathing right and my  chest goes really tight and painful so i then find it hard to carry on as i dont feel i can breath! anything i can do to help me overcome the breathing problem! 

• Options

Ok, is there some sort of insiders' joke going on here that explains why to an outsider it appears that someone has posted on the forum for the first time and gets sexual harassment for their pains?

• Options
    CliveSCliveS ✭✭✭

Everybody is different - experiment and find what works for you. I take 3 steps to inhale and 3 to exhale. Getting it right reduced my HR by about 5bpm.

• Options

How hard is breathing? the more you run the easier it becomes, no one finds it easy when they go beyond their limits.

Charlotte when your chest goes tight try running as slowly as you can, it sounds daft but it's a technique I used when I first went on Long slow runs for Ultra training, for me it meant I could keep going when my body felt like stopping, after a while I'd recover and feel ok to run at pace again.

• Options
    SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

If your chest going tight when nervous it suggests you are 'hyperventilating' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperventilation . This can be quite distressing and cause various symptoms including light headedness, pins and needles etc. The solution (that sounds a bit silly) is to focus on breathing out not in.

Otherwise it is, as CliveS  says, breath for three steps out and three steps in

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Fill your lungs and breathe deeply and rhythmically, depending on how hard you're going.

So in my case - in for four (or even five) steps and out for four is steady aerobic plod ... in two three four ... out two three four ...

Cruising speed in a half marathon race is three in and three out, for a 10K three in and two out. Kicking at the end or labouring up a hill is two in and two out, by which time I'm in danger of not breathing but panting and it's time to ease off.

Do a bit of trial and error to find which rhythm suits you but the key thing is to fill yer lungs.