Brighton Marathon 2014

Thought I would enter next year's marathon...soon changed my mind at the checkout when the entry fee was shown as £60 + a £5.50 admin charge...what a rip off. I cannot understand why runners will pay such an exorbitant entry fee when London and numerous others are under £30.

Comments

• Expensive yes, but worth every penny!! Preferred this over London....

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If enough people don't sign up they will have to drop the price. But if as usual it sells out then they will continue to raise the price.

I think I'll stick with London. I can also afford a couple of warm up races as well and still be below 60 quid.
  • if you'd entered as soon as it opened, then you would have only had to pay £50 (first 2000 at that price). 

and the difference with London - it's a guaranteed entry, not a ballot ticket that you're buying.

• London is ridiculously under priced. It should be a lot more expensive to enter - but their sponsorship is so good they can subsidise their fees.
  • Brighton is pretty over subscribed by now; they can charge what they want as long as it sells out, which it will at that price! Agree London is a relative bargain; they could charge £100 and it would still be full every year.

• Portsmouth costal ??23! Bargin
  • You would think they could post race numbers out for that price.
  • I signed up at the expo for ??40. But my friend is having 2nd thoughts about it as ??65 is quite a lot and apparently will rise to ??70 !!!!
  • unless you do a lot of marathons - even ??70 isn't too bad.

Include all of your long training runs as part of it and as ?? per hour it's cheaper than the cinema. And you get free refreshments.
  • DF3 - stop talking through your inexperienced arse.   you've yet to do one so how the fuck do you know what attractions one marathon has over another???

I've done London and Brighton 3x each and Brighton beats London any day in my book.  but others who have experienced both may think differently

so - unless you're qualified to comment on the relative merits of one marathon course over another, can I suggest you shut it for a change???  

and if you want a coastal marathon that beats all others - again in my books - you can't touch the Beachy Head one.  oh - guess what - I've done that 3x as well.....image

• Maccatheknacca wrote (see)
    You would think they could post race numbers out for that price.

I agree entirely - but it then increases the prices they can 'sell' floor space at the Expo, which brings in bigger sponsors, which raises the whole profile of the race, which increases its appeal (for some anyway, and I include myslef in that) - so we benefit in the long run - sort of image

I did Brightin the first two years it was run and have entered next year, so it will be interesting to see how it has grown in that time.

• the number collection system that Brighton have adopted is stopping a lot of people entering I reckon as it means an extra night in the town for those not local, and extra costs for those like me who have to go over an collect on either Friday or Saturday.  so that adds up to a fair bit more money.

but then, that's no different to the London arrangements is it?

Raf - I did it Brighton 2 weeks ago after missing last year as well (not doing next year) and it hasn't changed a lot bar a few minor points like start arrangements, minor course changes, more runners etc. and it's essentially the same as the 1st 2 years.  but it did seem much better supported - crowds seemed deeper at key points - but maybe that's because of more runners bringing support along.   no real congestion on the route with more runners bar the usual bits closer to the start - by the time you get to the Old Steine, it's started to spread out nicely.

• FB - I know the course has changed a little, like the removal of the 'hill', but I meant more in terms of the supporters, and also the attitude/welcome around town the day before. I certainly noticed a difference between 2010 and 2011 on the 'Road to Hell' around the power station, which I'm sure you remember was almost deserted the first year, apart form the lone DJ in the power station car park, but was reasonably well supported in 2011!

• Will they have a timing mat on the end of the dog leg - surely that's the question we need ask !
  • I have done both London twice and Brighton twice and loved both.Despite living in Hertfordshire, there are aspects of brighton that make it easier to do than London, and is a lot more spectator friendly and easier to meet friends/family at the end. It does seem expensive compared to last year but could still be tempted to do it a 3rd time.

I

• Raf - can't really comment on the welcome of Brighton on the day before the event - I just shot in and shot out to get my number.

they've changed the route a little bit at the Power Station far end - it's still pretty bleak and soulless on the Road to Hell but support was good at the far end again .  in some ways I like that bit as it's a real test of mental and physical stamina as you're between 20 and 23 miles - get past that safely and you're more or less home.

support on the home stretch along the seafront was huge this year.

getting out of the finisher's area is still a frigging pain though - but there's not a lot that can be done about that as you're effectively in a dead end.

• I did Brighton last year and although I discovered I didn't like big city marathons it was certainly well organised and well supported. I much prefer Beachy Head though for a sussex marathon - more 'interesting' running and I think the participants are more friendly. More chatting and laughing, fewer headphones and nerves.

Sussex Stride organised by the LDWA is only £16 and that gets you 50 miles and 8 stocked aid stations - looking forward to that one.

• Did the Cornish Marathon last year, £20 and you got a hoodie, banada, bottle of drink plus a free cornish pastie and a cup of tea. Bargin

• I agree that the entry is expensive and I for one wouldn't pay it ordinarily but having failed to get into London the past few years I decided to bite the bullet and know that I have a guaranteed entry for a spring marathon - they have us over a barrel on that one I think.

What do other runners think about having to collect their racepack and number in person on the Friday or Saturday before the run?  The main reason I chose Brighton instead of other more appealing runs was the easy travel distance from home - I never for one minute thought that I would have to make a prior round trip to Brighton.  Their reasoning is that runners will have the peace of mind of having their number by race day and that it will save the carbon footprint - thinking more about my wallet here - either double fares to Brighton or a hotel bill!