Walking a marathon is easier?

Comments

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

Well he brought some sparklers and walked me to the bus stop afterwards image 

Raunchy stuff!

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

James have you been Googling "hot older women" all morning? image

I had nothing better to do. Although they had to be fully clothed to avoid any trouble at work.

• Pudge wrote (see)
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

Well he brought some sparklers and walked me to the bus stop afterwards image 

Raunchy stuff!

• Sreamapillar - I am starting think you are probably grade A milf. Well at least better than Fearn Britton.

• Maxpower North West wrote (see)

Sreamapillar - I am starting think you are probably grade A milf. Well at least better than Fearn Britton.

God I hope so! image

• Dear Mrs. Hog-Mousey, please, please, please don't take offense to my "swimmer" analogy. I was just trying to make an argument which as DF3 points out, was rather weak anyway. In reality, a "swimmer" IMHO is anybody who enjoy splashing about in the water, even doggy paddle. And yes, I missed out sidestroke too, there are indeed more than four strokes, d'oh.

Screamapillar, re: the very things at the back of the back that would make a person give up, that's exactly right, you have to dig extra, extra deep at those low points.

But do carry on, I like how this thread is headed...

• Also, I have a training and running-related question I'd like to throw to the masses. Please be brutally honest.

Basically I'm going to do all that I can to be faster next year. My fastest half marathon was 2:39 a long while back. I was training hard and was lighter than I am now. Does that mean I'm likely doomed to get no more than a 5:40 marathon PB based on the double the half+20mins formula? I've never run more than 18 miles in training because it takes me over four hours and from what I understand, LRs over four hours can do more harm than good in training. I would like to do some 22 mile LRs for the psychological comfort. 

My plan so far is to start running again Monday and start official marathon training around October this year, substantially earlier than the January I would normally start.

Thoughts and constructive feedback welcome.  

Sorry this thread does not mention anything salacious or controversial.

• Yeah it's gone a bit off topic image

Mind you have you seen what's happened to KK's vegan thread? Disturbing!

• Screamapillar wrote (see)
    Maxpower North West wrote (see)

Sreamapillar - I am starting think you are probably grade A milf. Well at least better than Fearn Britton.

God I hope so! image

Post a picture of yourself and we will all give you a MILF grade. Sounds like a great way to pass the afternoon.

• Well I did ask a running specific question above so maybe we can bring it back. image

But in the interim, what's happening in the KK's vegan thread? Is there a link?

• Run Zaftig Run! wrote (see)

Well I did ask a running specific question above so maybe we can bring it back. image

Running schmunning...we want to see some milf pics!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Kim Thomson from Emmerdale. Had to look up her name cos I don't really watch it.  I used to fancy the pants off her in the '80s when she was in Brush Strokes (remember that?!), then she turned up in Emmerdale (which I don't really watch) donkeys' years later...

• PhilPub wrote (see)

Kim Thomson from Emmerdale.

What is she like at running marathons tho ?

• Phil - what a great call. Brush Strokes was the most bizarre concept for a program! If my wank bank is working she was the posh lady who Cain was rolling around in the hay with.....................happy days.

• Not sure if she runs but once saw the guy who plays Cain in Emmerdale out for a run down the Leeds-Liverpool canal.

• Maxpower North West wrote (see)

Not sure if she runs but once saw the guy who plays Cain in Emmerdale out for a run down the Leeds-Liverpool canal.

Running down the canal ?  Walking on water is clever, running on it is amazing

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭
    RZR - if scream lets me give you one of my gems. I ran three half marathons over 2 hours. Found the ultimate training schedules this site and knocked 26 mins off time. You may of course already have a schedule.

However, a schedule may suggest you do a half marathon so you would be able to assess progress.
  • Thanks James. Quick Q, why do you need permission from Scream to give things out? All my schedules are for 16 or 18 weeks and don't go past 18 milers so clearly I need to do something different. I do have three half marathons in mind between now and next April though so yes, it might be good for me to focus on those times for a while. Is that 26mins off Half Marathon or Marathon time btw?

• James B 73 wrote (see)
    RZR - if scream lets me give you one

Asking permission ?

Also, I have a training and running-related question I'd like to throw to the masses. Please be brutally honest...

I reckon you can improve - theres a long time between now and October - maybe spend the first few months trying to get off the extra weight and getting your 10k time down - then work on extending building the endurance.

Just my 2p though - other opinions are available.

• Thanks JMopper, getting the 10K time down will definitely help a lot I agree. It's funny re: extra weight. I actually don't care about it except for running times! I'd be quite a bit faster if I lost half my body weight for sure.image

Thanks James. Quick Q, why do you need permission from Scream to give things out? All my schedules are for 16 or 18 weeks and don't go past 18 milers so clearly I need to do something different. I do have three half marathons in mind between now and next April though so yes, it might be good for me to focus on those times for a while. Is that 26mins off Half Marathon or Marathon time btw?

Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    James B 73 wrote (see)
    RZR - if scream lets me give you one

Asking permission ?

Oh yes, I have him well trained image

• Blimey DF3 must be busy at work, he hasn't posted for well over 3 hoursimage

• James B73James B73 ✭✭✭

RZR - without boring anyone - for my first 3 half marathons I thought if I just covered distance it would get me through under 2 hours. It got me through but over 2 hours. Then realised that it's not all about long runs. Short fast runs are very important. Followed the ultimate sub 2 hour training schedule. After 8 weeks it suggests a half marathon in preparation. I did it in 1.55. Then for my target race I did 1.50.

My marathon schedule suggested a half marathon after 10 weeks or so. I did Liverpool in 1.43.

Unfortunately, I hurt my knee. Missed two 20 milers. Ran once in 5 weeks. Struggled the last 6 miles. Did 4.28.

So I'm sure with the right schedule, staying injury free, you could knock loads off your half marathon time and then get within your target marathon time.

Just hoping everyone stayed awake.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Run Zaftig Run! wrote (see)

Thanks JMopper, getting the 10K time down will definitely help a lot I agree. It's funny re: extra weight. I actually don't care about it except for running times! I'd be quite a bit faster if I lost half my body weight for sure.image

I'm not speedy by any means, but I knocked 13 mins off my half PB (to 1:42) which I think can more or less be totally put down to losing a stone in weight (from 14st to 13st - I'm 6ft 3).  I think I've definitely got a sub-1:40 in me this year and that's my next Half goal, after hopefully successfully stumbling around a marathon on 4th May.

I'll clarify the above slightly.  The weight loss has meant that I've been able to train better which itself has made me fitter/faster, but ultimately the weight loss is what has helped.  I'm sure I was still lugging around 14st I would have seen virtually no improvement.

• Ooops how did I get on the Brighton Marathon 2013 thread?
  • Absolutely agree with James - getting your legs to a point where you can run the distrance is the easy bit - especially if you've done the distance before. (maybe not so much if it was a long time ago)

What hurts more is time on your feet - so the more you improve your speed - the less time you have to spend on your feet and the easier the whole race becomes.

• Sream into the pillow - no photos then? Starting to think you might actually be Fearn Britton.