P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I think 15W should stick to his original 5 different spectating venues plan, so that he can provide ALL the jelly babies you are likely to need.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Well - I'll try not to eat them all with my daughter.

• They are changing the gfa qualification times for London next year. This could be bad. 

• Oh and I guarantee, I will miss it by seconds Chris as I will have no idea what they will change it to.  If anything changes though, will be the older males, it is too strict.  They need the women in that sub 3:50 range otherwise it would just be a load of men. That is why it is softer.  When are they letting everyone know?

Shazmo - are you travelling alone to the race? 

15W - sounds like good plan for spectating - I am number 1353 - will give you definites re kit tomorrow but look out for green Helsby vest.  

I have only ran once this week, seems to be what I end up doing taper week, emotionally I find running a struggle pre big race.  Worked ok for Chester.  Shitting myself folks, feel nauseous with the worry about it all! 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

HeOw, the president of my running club is the same, he says he can't manage to run more than 20 minutes in the week before a marathon, but it doesn't seem to have done his times any harm. You will be brilliant. And if you're not I want my sponsorship money back.

• Literatin - thanks!  I hope I ain't shit mate.  I know my times are nothing in comparison to some on here but I work just as hard to get what I can get! Whatever happens, you can be assured, sweat and tears will be shed! 

Chick - hope the niggle turns out to be nothing, everyone seems to have suffered this week with legs, you all must have given it 1000%. 

• HeOw - I only ran once last week for 4 miles so I wouldn't worry trio much and you're faster than me.

I saw a thread yesterday about GFA and they were saying that the notification wouldn't be till after the ballot and if you were close to cut off to enter the ballot just in case.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

HeOw, yes travelling alone to race. 

I'm scared too. And you hit the nail on the head - there may me big difference between      some people's times on this forum, but we've all worked hard to get where we are. 

Got to dash as Im nno long in from my leaving do (only one very small gass of wine) and I have to be up early to get my ferry to the mainland. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all...just been out for a run around with the dog. Quite chilly out there, but you soon warm up. Maybe take a bin liner or something you can throw away to wear over you at the start...and possibly some gloves if you suffer from cold hands.

Rest up today Manchester people, maybe short jog this morning if you feel like it, rest of day put your feet up us much as poss.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Trust in the training guys, you will all be fine! Hope you have all got your feet up and chillaxing.image

• Shazmo - I had couple of bottles of Sol last night, sometimes a little drink to relax helps, one glass of wine won't harm. Won't be drinking tonight though!  I have tried to go tee total but no point for me, I enjoy a little glass of wine a couple of times a week or a couple of bottles of Tiger or Corona.

Just been time keeper at Delamere parkrun and although nice and sunny, was pretty cold, my hands were frozen as no gloves.  Think tomorrow will be long tights for me, with long sleeved top under my vest.  Running at 8:30m/m doesn't particularly warm me up! 

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Good luck Manchester peeps!  Hope you all have a great day and enjoy the experience.

You've trained for this. Don't be shit!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Okay, I've got stalky race number info for the girls but not the boys. Can we sort that out please?

• Sure I'm 3535, I hope I'm not shit.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Craig - You aint shit mate. You will have a shiny sub 3hr badge tomorrow to prove it too!

• Best of luck to everyone. 

Craig that's a lovely memorable number

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Sol is great for carb loading.....apparently...

Yes, good luck tomorrow Shazmo, HeOw, Craig and AG...anyone else on here racing Manchester tomorrow?

Manchester is flat so even pace it as much as poss. Shazmo and HeOw - look out for that 3.45 pacer and stick with them...AG stay disciplined and stick with that 9 min/mile pace, same with you Craig and your 6.40 pace..no faster you, we don't want you beating me do we??

I know you know all this, but remember 2nd half of race it will get hard, and that is when the mental battles will begin. Be prepared for pain and the desire to slow/stop.

• Thanks for the advice 15W, how did you keep your pace?? Just your Garmin? or did you have a pace band or were you with a similar paced group??

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Just used my garmin pace and time functions, and a lot of the mile/km markers in london had clocks - I wasn't keeping to an exact pace but just tried to make sure I was somewhere between 6.15 and 6.30...although I was closer to 6.40 for a few miles towards the end.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Here are my mile splits from London:

1. 6.38
    2. 6.58 (wee stop)
    3. 6.17
    4. 6.19
    5. 6.19
    6. 6.23
    7. 6.19
    8. 6.19
    9. 6.20
    10. 6.13
    11. 6.17
    12. 6.21
    13. 6.21
    14. 6.17
    15. 6.14
    16. 6.26
    17. 6.20
    18. 6.17
    19. 6.30
    20. 5.56 ??
    21. 6.32
    22. 6.31
    23. 6.37
    24. 6.11
    25. 6.33
    26. 6.38
  • Good luck P & D ers for Manchester, run well have faith in the training and just believe in yourself, you're all great runners. 

• Good luck Manchester runners. Early to bed. Early to rise. And smash that wall. Looking forward to the PBS tomorrow. And seeing if Craig takes the fastest mantle from the clubhouse leader 15w!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I'll be there to trip him up at mile 24 if I need to...

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

If Craig slips on some carelessly scattered jelly babies we'll know what's happened...

Agent Ginger: number, please!

• I don't think the jelly babies will make him slip but the stickiness may provide sufficient difficulty to slow Craig up. 

• Think your safe 15W, 2:55 is my target, looking at your splits, I have no plan of going sub 6:30 for any miles (he says..).

• Quick post just to say good luck Heow Craig and shazmo.

looking forward to hearing all about it tomorrow..image

• macemace ✭✭✭

Good luck boys n girls image

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Well I survived my boat journey and made it to marathon base camp, fit and raring to go. Well, that's a bit of a fib....feeling tired from an early start and have managed to gain 7lbs in 2 days. Extreme carbo loading! image

Thanks for all your words of support and I will do my best not to be SHIT!! Good luck to the other Manchester runners and Fiona, who will hopefully be setting a new WR! image   Here's a pic of what to look out for 15w, or anyone in start B. I'll be covered with a fleece for the first mile or so, but the shoes are easy to spot....oh and the newly acquired chubby legs!!    Pic on next post as I can't add to this...crap at technology.