the Marathon of the North

Comments

• Last year there was free parking at the Stadium of light. I parked there and it was fine. I think there is free parking at the stadium again this year.

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Thanks guys, that's reassuring - was not much looking forward to working out the marvels of the public transport system, effective as it looks!  Just one more thing to panic about that you can't control on race dayimage  

Excited now!

• good to hear from you all image Daisy, I am entered for York too! Couldn't resist a local marathon. Anyone know what the weather will be like on Sunday. I ran Manchester last year so anything better than solid rain will be an improvement, and I so want it to be nice for the spectators. Feeling so nervous and excited.........

• Excited and nervous here too!! 

• Tim, thats just wanted to hear mate, thanks a lot bud, I will set off at sub-3 pace and see how I'm feeling, first marathon, hopefully of many so I want to enjoy it first and foremost! I do love racing! Plenty of years to do London so if I don't make it next year then so be it! Best of luck on Sunday mate, hope it all goes to plan for you! 

Daisy rain thanks a lot! I would be stupid to be dissapointed if I get below 3.10, thats what I've worked for, so what if they do change the quali times it's still my original target!! image 

on a random note I was in a car accident today on the Humber Bridge! Couldn't eve write the last 24 hours of my life! It's been a rollercoaster! Fortunately I think I'm alright, just a lot of stress with police reports etc! Not what I need right now!!! Haha!

• Only one sleep to go! A busy day of DIY today, then the reward of a few hours running tomorrow. Rock on, and good luck everyone!

Oliver - hope you're OK there...

• so sorry to hear about your accident Oliver, take care and don't underestimate shock and recovery. I had an accident back in Nov so understand a little of how you are feeling. I wondered if I would ever feel normal again driving but I am fine now. Don't overdo the diy Bees! Daisy, you can run 26.2, you have done it before and have trained hard, lots of positive vibesimage Just watched the clip on the front of the website, hilarious with the whistling wind! Very very nervous and excited.........

• Checking in to wish everyone good luck with all your aims and times etc tomorrow. I'm out all day with the parents so won't be around to do so later.

Feel free to say 'Hi' if you recognise my number/kit before the run (Or indeed during!!). I'll see you all on Sunday night/Monday for the inevitable tales!!!

Best of Luck!

• Had to pull out of this race after picking up an injury when going for a sports massage last week, devastated.

• so sorry to hear that Paulimage

• Just got back from marshalling at Riverside parkrun (6 miles outside of Sunderland). It's blooming cold and windy out there! BBC weather shows northerly wind today but forecast for a warmer southerly wind on Sunday.

• Yeah I'm fine thanks guys! Had a steady run round parkrun this morning and felt fine, and good to go! Not nervous yet but I'm sure I will be!

So sorry to hear that Paul, what a huge shame!

Best of luck everyone!

• wishing everyone the best for tomorrow image have really appreciated all your advice and support in the run up to the M of the N..........

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

I've got butterflies, but nice, excited ones I think! Really hope it's not too windy tomorrow... Good luck all image  

Glad to hear you're ok Oliver, that sounds a bit scary - I lived in Hull until quite recently, so the Humber Bridge is a familiar spot - not somewhere I'd fancy flying off the road though image

• Wishing everyone all the best. Many thanks for the advice given and I finally found my number- 0965.

• Thanks Lily, was my first and trained hard since January for it.

Going to rest, enter a few races over the summer and look to start training again for either Nottingham or Kielder.

• Paul that must be so disappointing, I am sorry.  Quite right though to start focussing on the next one.  Onward and upward eh?

Hope you're OK Oliver.

Just think, this time tomorrow it will all be done and dusted (I hope I'm not still struggling round anyway!!).  Strange feeling when something's been in the diary so long.

Best of luck everybody, hope you really enjoy the race and all the plans come to fruition.

See you all on the "other side" (and Lily possibly on the York thread too!)

• My sister did the Junior miles of the North today in 7.35 so fairly confident I can beat that in my final mile! (Hope so anyway or I owe her £20!)

Got a bowl of pasta and back in hotel now to rest up!

best of luck everybody! 

Here is an updated list of everyones colours and numbers!

hellsbells74 - Number: 0973- Purple Vest/??? - Time: 04:10 - 04:20

Adrian - Number: 0518- White Tee?/??? - Time: 03:55 - 04:10

Tim - Number: 1538 - Yellow Vest/Blue Shorts - Time: 02:50 - 02:58

Shielsy - Number:0760 - Yellow Vest/Black shorts - Time: 04:00

Oliver - Number: 1351 black tshirt/black shorts/yellow shoes - Time: 03:00

Capples - Number: 0965 Red/??? - Time: 03:29:59

Lily of the Valley - Number: 0764 - NSPCC green t-shirt - Time: 5:00

• Best of luck everyone running tomorrow, I'm hoping to see a lot of runners coming past the Stadium at 19 miles, then get to a point between 24 and 25 miles to cheer everyone on image

• Good luck to everyone tomorrow image

• Best of luck tomorrow everyone.  I am now sick with nerves and this day has just dragged but flew by all at the same time (weird).

Hope everyone has an enjoyable run tomorrow.  I've put Shielsy on the back of my running vest, so - assuming it's not freezing cold and I'm not wearing a jacket as well - give me a shout out as you go past me!

• Ps kit confirmed as BLACK Darlington 10k tee. Keeping it realimage

Sleep tight all - nearly here now!!!!

• Hey guys! Hope everyones race went as well as mine! Smashed my target, got 2.53.36! Over the moon for my first marathon! 

Hope everyone else managed what they were targeting!

• I am so proud of the City of Sunderland, so proud of the shouts of "come on strollers". Despite the wind I really enjoyed my half marathon today, that was a really good course, beats the Great North and I have done 17 of them.

Well done to Crammy and his team.

• Wow Oliver - that's a fantastic time!  image

I was kind of disappointed to be honest.  I prophesied weeks ago that it'd be windy, and I was right - in spades!

The cold and wind got to me in the end, as I knew it would.

The first half went like a breeze.  I probably started out too fast, but that was in part down to the weather ... I tried to compensate for the wind by running a bit faster to stay on pace, but ran a bit too fast.  But I felt fine, really strong, and reached halfway in about 1:58 - so I was where I wanted to be.

But the second half, once all the half marathoners had left us, just seemed to get a lot hillier and a lot windier and I struggled from about 16 miles onwards.  I hit The Wall ... and it was made of wind!

I wasn't prepared for it to be as undulating as it was - I was led to believe from a running friend who did it last year that it was "fairly flat" but I thought it was anything but.  And of course having the wind to contend with as well just made things hideous.

I seriously considered giving up at various points from about 17 miles onwards, and felt like crying often image.  A guy from my running club who was spectating cheered me on as I passed him at 19 miles "It's so windy!  And hilly!" was all I could gasp out so he ran down the road with me for about 100 metres giving me a motivational pep talk, bless him.

Then as I approached the second park the heavens opened and it started lashing it down and I could barely see where I was running.  By this stage you just start wondering why the weather gods have it in for us!

Finally - finally we were on the last couple of miles though, and heading back to the stadium so soon the hell would be over.  

Crossed the line and my Garmin said 4:02 - but I measured the route as short (as did others) so I don't feel I can class it as an 'official' marathon time (I didn't take any short cuts I swear!)

I'd like to think that on a nice day and a flatter course I'd be able to go under 4 hours (with the full distance) but it was just not to be today.

• Hi all, hope you all had a good one. Was just wondering if anyone else had a problem with the chip timing. I ran the half marathon but got a DNF on my official timing.

• I haven't had any news on my time despite registering for a text message service. Getting a DNF is a bit poor. I finished around 1h36 and my PB is 1:36:53 so wish they would hurry up and let me know. Enjoyed the day despite the wind, which was only bad in the 1st and last mile 

• A bloke I finished with was asking me what my number was as he wanted an official time and wasn't convinced his chip was beeping when passing the sensors on the roads.

Are the official results out now?

• Here is a live update of results, Shielsy thats so great you kept going, and pretty close to even splits, so nothing to feel down about! The last mile and a half was hard work, up to that point I was feeling pretty good! I got 10th place overall, another bonus!

Going through the halfway point at 1:26, (6 minutes quicker than my Half PB) I thought I was maybe in for a disaster, but kept it up, and managed to stay in a group of 5, we dropped 2 at the big hills near the 20 mile mark, after the U-turn near the beach, not trained for the hills at all, being from Norfolk! But thoroughly enjoyed my debut marathon! I hope it is an officially verified distance, my Dad said he heard Cram saying they had it verified twice by UKA measurers, so hopefully it's recorded as full distance, (therefore acceptable for GFA Qualification) if you say your Garmin measured low?

Here's that link!

http://racetimingsystems.net/Results/IndividualResults.aspx?Id=1442

• Just got back.....buzzing, slashed another 10 mins off my pb from last week, 3.46 - my garmin measured short as well, 25.80 odd, no shortcuts either!

Will post more tomorrow, but buzzing. Well done all !!!