Femeroacetabular Impingement

Comments

• Hey

Hope you are all well. I had op on Monday morning, they gave me hip block but think it went wrong as had to give me loads of morphine and tramadol in recovery and ended up with dead leg from knee down. So I couldnt get out of bed until Tuesday. Saw Mr Conoly who was pleased they shave a bit of bone and re-attached some torn cartilage.

Now just mustering the crutches, stairs are the worst and currently pain in groin when walking, and where the brusing is, but otherwise ok. Hope to be able to drive in two weeks, as least Mr Conoy suggested I might be able to. Hope to hear soon about physio.

Everyone else getting on ok? 

Loverunning, bet it was great to be part of the London atmosphere and an acheivement in yourself to get around London all day, well done. 

Hoping to boredom doesn't get too much, bit tired today but not as bad as I thought I might be. Chin up all image

• Hello all good to read all your updates Moozer you seem to be going in the right direction good on ya!

As for me, now 4 and-a-half months post op , well I don't want to sound too pessimistic but I have the feeling of my recovery just stagnating.

Have a slight limp that comes and goes, I think the limp is generally a little bit better. My physio talks about 'muscle memory' and the muscles just being so used to performing in a certain way.

I have ongoing low level pain, especially down inside of my thigh which I guess is referred hip pain. Sometimes round the front of my thigh.

My rehab exercises seem to irritate and aggravate the discomfort. Ive knocked exercise bike on the head seemed to be tightening the muscle at the top of the thigh making the limp worse. Went for a 10 min cycle and 10 min back to my local parkrun yesterday just to spectate. This wee cycle seemed to irritate the hip and seeing how the parkrun has completely thrived in my now near 2 year absence got me down and was fed up all day till I saw the nieces in the evening. Now I remember why Ive avoided parkrun like the plague...

Starting taking ibuprofen again to try and calm the flare ups.

I can function decently well just can't do anything energetic really - have now started to learn to swim properly which is good, time will tell if this annoys the hip or not.

I remember the surgeon saying 85% chance of being better off, 10% chance of being the same and 5% chance of worse off. Hopefully Im wrong but cant help wondering if Ill be stuck in the 15%.

Anyways, good luck to all!

• MoozerMoozer ✭✭✭

Hi Parklife when i had my follow up 3 weeks ago the surgeon told me its normal to feel a bit of discomfort for up 6 - 9months afterwards as its all part of the healing process.

Have you used a foam roller for your abductors, glutes hip flexor quads. ?

• PipesPipes ✭✭✭

Hello everyone.  Sorry I've neglected posting on here for a while.  I was following your posts and thinking of those who were having operations.  There was nothing really new that I could post - not much running, hips niggly, busy at work etc. Had the injection in my left side a couple of months ago and it didn't really make any difference.  Saw the surgeon for my 6 month post-op on my right side and he wants to do another MRI with dye and block injections, due to the ongoing pain in certain positions. So it's a bit more waiting for me.  

Having said that, I've had a couple of weeks of being able to run surprisingly pretty pain-free - I even managed a parkrun at the weekend.  Think part of it might be that I've had more time to do core work, especially for the glutes, and I've been treating myself to sports massages and an osteopath treatment.  I'm still stiff afterwards, but don't have the same sharpness and limpiness post-run that I had in January.

Sorry to hear that your update isn't more positive, parklife.  I have a similar thing on the inside of my left thigh, which is agony when massaged.  Strangely, I don't have it on my right side, although that is painful when massaged on the outer side.  I know what you mean about watching parkrun, which is why Saturday's run meant so much to me.  I really hope things start to ease for you in the next couple of months - it's still relatively early days in your recovery, as Moozer said.

When I bought my 'Grid' foam roller a year ago, I thought it would be one of those things that gets used for a week, then stuck in the back of the cupboard. I actually use it every day.

How's everyone else's recovery? Rebecca? Moozer?   Hope you've recovered from your trek to the marathon, loverunning.

• hi pipes, doing well I think, 1.5 weeks post opand been able to get around at home without crutches, always take them with me if going outs can't walk properly yet.

not in hardly any pain if I'm careful, can't lift left properly and burning has come out a treat.hada few twinges yesterday whitch worried me slightly, same as before op, is is normal?

hope to get to do short drives next week! Glad sun out as otherwise think I'd go stir crazy. Hope everyone doing well!

• MoozerMoozer ✭✭✭

Rebecca I hope your recovery is going well, twinges  aches/pain are very normal at this stage.

I am still doing okay have not done any physio or swimming for the past week due to the pain on the other side, I am starting to think that it may be a piriformis muscle issue rather than a tear/impingement as it only hurts when I sit down for a length of time and then eases when I stretch the piriformis muscle and I think this may be caused by the glute on the side I had operated on  not working causing the other side to hurt ?? The reason I think that it is not FAI/Labral tear is that I have no pain in my groin at all ??  Any feedback is welcome.. My operated side is fine hardly any discomfort apart from an ache at the end of the day if I have been on my feet quite a lot.. Anyway I am off for a week in the sun tomorrow which hopefully will help a bit as well. 

• Hi all Moozer I have a foam roller and will incorporate a little bit of that into my rehab exercises cheers.

Well I calmed down a bit, mentally and physically since my last post. Had 2 days last week where virtually no pain and virtually no limp. But I'm getting wise to not to get too elated and a bit of discomfort came back nothing major and overall I think I'm a little bit further on than a fortnight ago.

That said Ive avoided any cycling and swimming.

Read a couple of online blogs who were back doing a bit of running by about week 14!! Im at approx. week 18 and wouldn't even think of trying a run at mo.

Its not so much the hip area more referred pain/discomfort down the thigh.

I continue my rehab exercises

Good to hear from you Pipes!! Well done on the parkrun. Funny how you are running even though you have a bit of pain - is this wise? I would think I wont be trying any light running until totally pain free but am open to persuasion!

It was the Belfast marathon today, I cheered on the top runners as they ran down the end of my road, and I didn't feel bitter. A little poignant, not bitter. Makes we want more than ever to have one last crack at a marathon though not sure this is wise and I really should be happy with parkrun!

Nice to have the better weather in. Good evening all.

• PipesPipes ✭✭✭

Rebecca - I think those twinges are normal as things take a while to settle - I still get them from time to time, although I always worry that the labrum has torn again.  Hope you've managed to get out and about, and possibly even a bit of driving.

Moozer - hope you're enjoying your week in the sun.  Have you had the other side checked for FAI/ tear yet? It's probably just muscle compensation/ weakness, as you say...but it's not impossible that you have similar issues on the other side.  A number of us on here have had both hips done.  Hope the symptoms disappear with ongoing stretching/ massage.

Parklife - not sure if it's wise or not but hip feels better than it has done recently with the increased exercise/ running.  It's not sore at all when I run (except for nagging aches after about 5.5 miles, on the rare occasions I go out that far).  Plus, I'm really enjoying the feeling of getting out of breath again.  I ran for my club in the county relays on Sunday, which gave me the euphoric feeling that I've missed for the past 2.5 years.

Like you, I went to spectate at a marathon on Monday. Mine was in Milton Keynes. I didn't feel bitter; like you, I started thinking about the possibility (in a few years) of doing that race.  I really hope your couple of days without limp/ discomfort is a sign that things are slowly getting to a point where you can consider some sort of running again.

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

Hope you did well Pipes. I was there too but just chugging round. 

Interestingly this says that Mo Farah has a small labral tear. If that's true (it is a newspaper, so it might not be) then we are in very fast company!

• PipesPipes ✭✭✭

Hi Fido2Dogs - I saw you in the pictures from the relay - feet off the ground! Are you having any trouble with your hip these days? 

Interesting to read about Mo - thanks for posting it. Hope it doesn't start to affect him as much as it does the rest of us on here (although he doesn't seem to have the impingement bit as well).

• Just a wee bit of Advise if you would all be so kind....

still awaiting surgery date but should be in another 4/5 weeks so as advised, starting "Prehab".... Question is simple.... Cross trainer yay or nay? Thanks

• That's brilliant pipes I'm sure it must be amazing being back running for your club again - the return of the forgotten woman!!

Just one thing you say you might consider a marathon in a few years time- why this timescale and why not consider one for say next year, are you concentrating on shorter distance out of caution.

Yup thanks for the post about Mo, I was of the belief that a labral tear was more likely to occur with bone impingement wonder if we will be hearing of him going foran op at some point. Also all the groin pain etc is bound to slow him down to some degree.

Triple Ive never used a cross trainer, I stuck to exercise bike and as you probably know plenty of core pilates and glute strengthening

• MoozerMoozer ✭✭✭

Hi Triple 07 I got told that cross trainer and exercise bike where fine pre op, check this website its got all the pre op exercises on it. dynamicsportspt.com/files/2012/05/hip.pdf

Pipes that is brilliant that you are running again pain free.

I do have the impingement on the other side and it is a lot more prominent as they did the CT Scan on both hips. Anyway before my weeks holiday I emailed the surgeons secretary regarding the pain on the other side as he asked me to if it got worse. I have had a response offering me the surgery at the end of this month. GULP/ Pleased

As I have said before on here the pain is more in the buttock and around the hip rather than the ache in the groin that my first one was. I have read a lot about FAI and the symptoms can be in the buttock when sat and around the hip. I think you had similar symptoms Pipes ?  More importantly there is a big bump which has showed on the CT Scan so better to get that removed. As for my hip that I had done 10 weeks ago that is absolutely fine. So I feel that I am in very safe hands with my surgeon.

Parklife I hope you thigh pain is getting better, it sounds like more a muscle issue rather than hip joint.

• Mooozer you are going for the jugularwith a second op planned! Good luck, how long are you post op now?

Had a good physio session tonight, she's generally pleased, I was able to do 5 squats in a row without any pain which she thinks is a good test for recovery from labral.

She gave me a right going over and noticed a kind of 'thickening' or irration of a muscle at the top of the thigh next to the crotch, and spend a while massaging and ultrasounding it. Felt like she was hitting the epicentre of my lingering discomfort. Has reemphasized need for ongoing core and glute work especially clams to strengthen other muscles and take the strain off this one. Now 5 months post op.

Greetings to all

• Hello and how is everyone doing?

How are you Rebecca after your op? 

I'm 14 weeks post op on my left and feeling good. Swam with my local Triathlon club last night at one of their indoor training sessions and cycled my old 10K hilly run tonight. Wouldn't say my hips are back to normal or that I'm pain free but it's managable pain and I'm slowly getting back into some form of fitness. 

• Hi, Im aware that good forum manners recommends reading if your answers are within the forum and than asking questions, but this matter is so important that I feel lost in translation some times (Im Brazilian and couldn't found any substantial hel in portuguese). So:

Two years after I fell in love with running I got all the symptons of sports hernia or pubalgy. And, after going to the doctor I got treated for that.  65 sessions of physical therapy and it got a lot better, but, still unable to run.

So, a went to this doctor who supposed to be a great one for professional athletes and he recommended me the fai arthroscopy.

Now its 13 days after surgery it seems like a very well succeed procedure, I can go on a stationary bike without any pain and be without any real pain.

The problem I'm having is that the groinch pain (sorta iching/tingling) are really not going awar or diminishing. Is this Normal? For those who had this groin pain associated with fai inpingemente: Who long this sensation tends to stay? I mean, will I probably have to do another 65 sessions of physical therapy?

Thanks everyone, and sorry for any language issues.

Joao. 

• Joao, you sound like you are doing well at just 13 days post operation.

You will have to expect some sort of groin pain for up to 4 months i'm afraid, possibly longer. It will get better as you go along but also expect setbacks.

Seeing a good physiotherapist who knows about FAI and core stability and glute strength issues will be very important in your recovery.

Doing good rehabilitation exercises, but aslo not overdoing it is very important and your physiotherapist should guide you.

I am 5 months post op, still getting some groin pain, but I think it is slowly getting better, and I continue to do my exercises.

Good luck, and welcome to the club!!

• MoozerMoozer ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Parklife I am now 12 weeks post op, Just had the date through for my other hip, it is in 5 weeks time which I am pleased about as it gives me time to build up lots of strength. Then that's me hopefully back on the straight and narrow. Having loads of pain with the unoperated side so its a no brainer to get it looked at.and it has a bigger bump on it. As for my recently operated side its still going well. I swim a mile every day and walk 2 miles a day. My hip flexors are a little sore if I am sat for a long time.

I think the swimming has been a massive help for me. 

Has anybody used a wobble board for Glute strength I have just ordered one ?

Joao it is normal to have groin pain after the operation as parklife said.

• Eugh, heard about a "date" for my hip op- or rather heard about no date... Healthboard will not manage to do it within waiting list targets (dont know what I was expecting it is the NHS!) so have offered to put me down to another Hospital (about 200miles away) and pick a date in July or wait for my local hospital & surgeon i know but will certainly be 3month+

Having a bit of a dilema on what to do, Scared to wait incase i do further damage & dont think my stomach lining can take many more months on all these analgesics! but would like to have had op local as dont fancy the car journey home after or travel to all the follow ups....

• Well done all on progress! I am almost 5 weeks post op and doing really well. Back to gym able to do at least 25 mins on bike and walking normally, od twinge and aching but thats all, just trying to get stronger every day!

Triple 07, you can opt for local follow ups, that is what I did and seems standard to be offered.

hope all are well!

• PipesPipes ✭✭✭

Hello everyone.  Good to hear the recovery progress and positive stories. Hope you continue to feel so positive and make such good progress, Rebecca, parklife, Moozer and loverunning.  I'm especially excited for Moozer and the fact that you've got your second op so soon. I had 8 months between mine and while the first one struggled a bit to take all the strain, I would not have wanted to wait any longer.

João - I agree with what parklife said about it being so soon after your op. I still get some days where my hips are uncomfortable/ stiff/ tingling.  My first operation was 18 months ago!  Things get better, but slowly.

Triple07 - do you know much about the surgeon 200+ miles away? If he/she's got a good reputation and you can have local care afterwards, I'd agree with what Rebecca said.  I travelled for over 2 hours 2 days after my first op and had no problems (stopped to stretch my legs every 45 mins or so). I think parklife travelled by plane a day or two after his op, so I'm sure he could reassure you if travel were a worry.  I think (assuming it's a good surgeon) that sooner is better, especially when your local option could be much longer.

I'm still happy with my recovery at the minute. I've been doing 3-4 runs per week and gradually improving my parkrun time. Today was my fastest since October 2010, when my hip problems first became apparent. I'm due to have an MRI with dye injection on 12th June. It has taken so long for the date to come through - since my last hospital appointment in early April, when the right hip was painful. Now that the hip is working well, I'm debating whether or not I should still have the scan - I feel now like it won't show anything, but I don't want to regret it if the pain returns and have to wait again.

• MoozerMoozer ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Hope everyone is well.  Just a question for everyone who has had surgery. Which strengthening exercises did you or are you doing and how often do you do them. Has anybody found the Clam exercise causes irritation ?  Parkiife you mentioned on here previous that certain exercises cause discomfort and I was just wondering which ones.

• Hi Moozer

I have been given a fair few exercises. I find the bridge + dipping each hip is good. Standing against wall and sloping down (only if several weeks on), lying flat and pressing legs into floor, pulling in all muscles....hope that helps.

I got put onto leg press by physio, boring but prob worth it. Did first run in a year on firday, only 20mins on treadmill but loved it. Still a little stiff after day out/at work, but doing well.

How you feeling Moozer?

• MoozerMoozer ✭✭✭

Hi Rebecca,

Great to her your progress is going well. Well done.

I was doing well until last week 13 weeks post op and did something to irritate either the hip or hip muscles. I was just finishing a walk at lunch and it basically stopped me in my tracks causing me to limp the rest of the way back to the office, the previous day I was doing some new balance strengthening exercises so maybe its something to do with that. Been getting a few twinges since then although walking is a bit easier now. if I stand up straight and lean back I can feel a bit of discomfort as well in what I think might be a hip flexor. Anyway going to see a physio on Thursday for a 1 hour soft tissue massage.  

• I had that the other day, went to the supermarket and limped the whole way around, I think that is just part and parcel of it all....well I guess it is. My physio says because of the way they had to disclocate the hip it can cause nerve and muscle damage. I will  get twinges and stiff leg pretty much daily, but managable.

Going to do a body pump class this evening, cant wait to get back to classes...hope I dont pay for it in the next few days.

Keep going, you will get there, i just look at it as every day being different, some are better than others! Hope the massage is good, let me know as I wandered about getting one done!

• Hi all,

Taking much comfort in reading your "success stories" image

Had my pre-op today still no date though! Or even a hospital but now they have breached the waiting list times, I don't think the care if its by 3 weeks or 3months image

After hearing of some of you guys travelling many miles after their op, I told them Id go to any hospital so hopefully that might speed it up.

Pre-op did seem a bit of a waste of time though, don't know how old they thought I was - I was booked for an ECG to see if I could withstand a general anaesthetic- to be fair the 75+ year olds I was surrounded by looked more able bodied! The nurse did MRSA screenings & took my blood,  After waiting 2hours the consultant was too busy to come through so in 2minutes a junior dr. who's answer to my "what exactly does the procedure involve?" was "they will fix your hip" listened to my chest & concluded I was fit & healthy & could go home.

Didn't see OT or physio, is that normal?

Now back to waiting for the postie/phone to ring!

• Update time,

Had review appt with the NHS specialist in sports medicine. He seemed a little deflated by my progress at 6 months post-op, said I was doing 'ok'.

The main problem seems to be shaking off this bloody limp!!AAArggg!!!

Am beginning to wonder if it will ever go. Recently physio has ben doing some pretty tough massge on the hip flexor psoas but still it won't completely shift.

Specialist said that by now I should be doing some impact (ie running on treadmill) but I find even cycling inflames the flexor! Thank Gord for learning to swim some or I would be going stark raving bonkers!

So, the specialist is sending me for a cortisone jag to try and release the psoas, 2 month wait time. I cannot believe this. Every time I think the end is in sight another bloody big hurdle gets put up - this has happened time and time again over the past 2 years - I will be 2 years injured on the 3 July.

Has anybody else had a cortisone jag post op to try and release muscles?

Otherwise I think the hip is pretty good, touch wood, if only I could get these seeming knock on effects sorted. Seems worse after driving or sitting at a table which seems to scrunch up that particular muscle.

Moozer, clams did irritate for a while, make sure you do them real nice and slow as this is what works the glute med not a fast up and down which is carried by momentum. And you don't have to fully extend them if irritating, just go halfway or so.

• Hello fellow FAI people

just thought I would touch base and give an update and see how everyone is? 

Im now 10 months post op right hip and 4 months post op left hip. I'd be lying if I said that I'm back to normal but I'm 75% there. 

Still have daily pain especially at night and its worse in my right hip but only very occasionally take naproxen and don't have full ROM but other than that life is good post op. 

have a mega busy job which involves long commutes to London and a lot of walking which I'm finding I can do, have had nights out where I've danced for hours in heels and I've joined my local triathlon club, did my 1st OWS a few weeks ago and loved It! Just doing the swimming training with them currently and will look to do the bike in time - I might have OA but its not stopping my from doing anything (only running)

• MoozerMoozer ✭✭✭

Hello,

Love running its great to hear that you are getting back to normal life again.

Triple 07 I hope that your wait is not to long to get a date for the surgery.

Parklife it sounds like I have a similar problem to you with Hip flexor issues. I am now nearly 4 months post op and was doing fine until I overdid either the cycling or my 2 mile walks at lunchtime which do involve a few hills 3 weeks ago. I have now a constant ache especially when sat at my desk or have been driving. I had a soft tissue massage 2 weeks ago and it helped a bit but the discomfort is still there. I am just stretching the hip flexors at the moment nothing else. It has caused me to have bit of a limp as well. Bloody flare ups.  I am back in surgery on Monday to have the other side looked at and after this hip flexor issue I am not looking forward to it at all.

• Good Luck for tomorrow Moozer!

Yes the crouched position for cycling seems to scrunch up my hip flexors. I noticed this when I felt I was doing well at 2 months post op and put the resistance up on an exercise bike. Also hurts more after driving or sitting at a desk - all scrunched up positions. Its a pisser as otherwise I think I'm doing well. Am due to se physio tomorrow so will go through all the do's and don't with her as I REALLY want to see an end to all this now!