Tri Newbie

Comments

• Well, did my first Duathlon yesterday at Braintree, absolutely loved it and just trying to work out the results image...

But was better at the running stages which was surprising considering I havent done much training as been concentrating on the bike and swim technique. Very satisfying getting the guys who'd overtaken me on the bike. I know, small things amuse little minds etc etc...

So pretty pleased with myself... Now just need to get faster on the bike, it'll help to have road tyres on next time.

• well done matey image

I had my first cut knee today after falling off with clipless pedals!!!

• Oh no!! haha ... I'm building my courage up to getting grown-up pedals... just feels as if i'll be learning to ride again!!

• my week gets better!! coming down Norwich Rd this morning 25mph, a Ford Focus pulled out of a sideroad, wham!!!!! hit it straight into the passenger door

luckly just bruised and very sore, A&E say it will get alot more painfull in next few days!!

If it wasn't for my helmet(which got proper smashed)not so sure id be writing this!!

• Blimey Jamie... At that speed you can't do anything about it... How are you feeling, bit shaken no?

Thank god for helmets... When are you out on the bike again, hoping it's ok to ride?!

Hope you're ok

• Heal well JB. Did you get reg, insurance details?

• bruised & stiff at the moment, slowly getting better, just awaiting for new helmet then i'll be back on the bike image

her insurance company have been great(motability car) they are sending out a cheque for damage to bike parts......had i been abit naughty then i could have said i had expensive wheels, and they would have paid out!!

they have also offered me a sum to settle quickly for injuries which i think i'll accept ......... 2 weeks to go for Wattisham image

• that's good they're offering to settle - less hassle image

one more weekend before wattisham lol

what time did you predict you'd do the swim in? think i was a bit conservative - oh well!

• i put 6.00 but starting to think i need to start slower, i havent sorted out what im wearing yet and havent done any training for a week image

• think it's going to be a huge learning curve (for me anyway) re how the whole swim bit will be like. i'm wearing swimming costume then putting on shorts etc when i get to the bike... just imagining how im going to get my socks on with wet feet?!

you've done a lot of training up until your accident though havent you? not much you can do but consider it a resting period image

I must be a sucker for punishmnet (or i just like to plan ahead) but signed up for a tri in September and going for an olympic distance... that'll be interesting... image

• PapermanPaperman ✭✭✭

As another sock-wearing tri person (my efforts to lose the socks haven't been successful so far!) I find the trick when setting up transition is to actually put the socks on, then roll then down and off leaving just the toe sticking out of the roll, and prop them in your shoes the correct way up. Then all you have to do when you come out of the swim is put the toe in to the sock roll the same way up, and just roll them up your foot and ankle.

• Hi everyone - I also have my first triathlon in 9 days!

500m swim, 26k bike ride and 5k run. I haven't been following a plan as such and slightly terrified by the programme that Crawling has been following. Did a recce of the course last saturday which was the farthest I have cycled thus far. All bike work has been done on spin bike - collecting first road bike on Friday so will have a few days to get used to it!!!!

Bit concerned that I have been optimistic with my swim time but hopefully this will mean I'm not having to overtake anyone. Hopefully I won't get swum over - pool swim but even so if it's going to happen it will be to me!

• Sorry to hear about your accident Jamie - sounds like it could have been horrific!

• Crawling wrote (see)

think it's going to be a huge learning curve (for me anyway) re how the whole swim bit will be like. i'm wearing swimming costume then putting on shorts etc when i get to the bike... just imagining how im going to get my socks on with wet feet?!

you've done a lot of training up until your accident though havent you? not much you can do but consider it a resting period image

I must be a sucker for punishmnet (or i just like to plan ahead) but signed up for a tri in September and going for an olympic distance... that'll be interesting... image

jamie bennett 3 wrote (see)

bruised & stiff at the moment, slowly getting better, just awaiting for new helmet then i'll be back on the bike image

her insurance company have been great(motability car) they are sending out a cheque for damage to bike parts......had i been abit naughty then i could have said i had expensive wheels, and they would have paid out!!

they have also offered me a sum to settle quickly for injuries which i think i'll accept ......... 2 weeks to go for Wattisham image

Well done on a speedy resolution. I'd wait regarding the injury settlement. You need to consider what happens if something flares up in a week/month/year. If you settle now then that's it. Ensure there is something there 'for the future'.

• Paperman wrote (see)

As another sock-wearing tri person (my efforts to lose the socks haven't been successful so far!) I find the trick when setting up transition is to actually put the socks on, then roll then down and off leaving just the toe sticking out of the roll, and prop them in your shoes the correct way up. Then all you have to do when you come out of the swim is put the toe in to the sock roll the same way up, and just roll them up your foot and ankle.

Genius!! Thanks Paperman will follow that, although might not leave them in the shoe as I have visions of my sock getting jammed in the shoe and i'll never get it out... I've done a run in running shoes and no socks (purely because I forgot to pack the buggers), and I had two massive blisters which took about two weeks to clear. So lesson learnt there!

Paperman wrote (see)

EmmaC wrote (see)

Hi everyone - I also have my first triathlon in 9 days!

500m swim, 26k bike ride and 5k run. I haven't been following a plan as such and slightly terrified by the programme that Crawling has been following. Did a recce of the course last saturday which was the farthest I have cycled thus far. All bike work has been done on spin bike - collecting first road bike on Friday so will have a few days to get used to it!!!!

Bit concerned that I have been optimistic with my swim time but hopefully this will mean I'm not having to overtake anyone. Hopefully I won't get swum over - pool swim but even so if it's going to happen it will be to me!

Hi EmmaC, good luck with your tri! And for trying out your new bike so soon before the race... I'm a chicken, I'd be on my comfy MTB until I know for sure I wont fall off image, although bought some toe clips for my pedals and they're brilliant... Just havent got a road long enough with a long enough hedge to try cleats out...
     You're right about the swim time though (well in my opinion anyway), 'cos if you're not sure how you'll get on, you'll at least overtake people which will feel great image

• ok not sure why i quoted Paperman's comment twice. Good advice though so worth mentioning it twice?! image

• Thanks for the welcome Crawling! My swim time seems to put me in with lots of chaos who will no doubt leap out of the water in a fit and agile way, hop on to their bikes never to be seen again. I shall lumber towards transition and sit down to carefully out my socks and shoes on before waddling to the  bike start! Think I may have been optimistic as in put a swim time faster than I will manage - my friend has out 15munis ane is going off 1 1/2 hours before me! Eeek!

I used my hybrid on the one and only duathlon I have done back in march using cleats- as I got to the end of the cycle section and I was attempting to dismount my yelps of panic had 3 marshals gathered ready to catch me. Why I thought taking up tiathlon was a good idea at my age I don't know!

50 mins on spin bike at 65-70% HR followed by a 1 k run to practise the jelly legs running done this evening

• Gentle swim tomorrow, rest Saturday then 10 mile XC plod on Sunday. Oh and my first practise on my new bike on Monday!!!!!!! Watch out A&E!

• are you using cleats Emma on your new bike?

if so id pratice like I did on a nice soft field first....no leg or bike damage when you fall off image

• Yes - I've got mountain bike cleats which are a bit easier I think. I meant to say chaps not chaos - but actually chaos is probably about right!!!

• Well done on your training last night - jelly legs is such a weird feeling... Hilarous actually... Enjoy the ride with your new bike!! Soft fields sounds fun JB image

How did your swim go? Biked to my local station this morning, so that'll be three days of doing 13 miles each way this week... Not much swimming done but managed to go out for a small run yesterday with the dog. Consumed loads of protein (ie midges) en route. Nice.

Couple of hours in the pool on sunday with a friend who's helping me with technique etc and a couple of days cycling to station next week, then resting Thursday / Friday so hopefully will have 'fresh' legs for Saturday's race. Yikes!!

JB - have you got all your kit sorted for Wattisham?!

• Nice swim- didn't really feel like it initially but once first 200 m done started to feel better. I did a 200m warm up then planned to see if I could do 500m in the 10mins 15 sec that I have put for my swim time in the tri. Got to the 350m mark and got asked to stop so that they could raise the floor so I had to stop. Was a bit grumpy! So I started the TT again and even after having swum 900m before managed 10 mins exactly for 500m so all looks good for the triathlon in 1 week and 1 day ... Eek!

What training resting do you think I should do ahead of the tri next Sunday? I'm planning a bike ride on Monday on my shiny new bike, gentle run on Tuesday and swim Wednesday followed by gentle gym session Friday morning? 

• No kit sorted yet, im either gonna buy some tri shorts, or maybe swim in swimming shorts then put cycling shorts over top, not sure how this will feel !!!

• Jamie... just read about your crash. Hope you are all mended now! Crawling... I too wear socks (mainly because my bike shoes are too big without). Follow papermans advice AND sprinkle a good dose of talc in there! 

Good luck if you are racing this weekend!

• weather looks good for next sat imageimage

• I know!!! I'm really excited..... Ahhhhh we'll be looking back at these posts afterwards or in a few weeks time and go 'aw bless..... newbies....!'

• Thanks Ellie, I'm racing on Saturday, as is Jamie... Just a few days to go image

I'll try the talc and roll the socks up (just got this image of lumps of talc in my sock afterwards image)

• Shake them about a bit to avoid lumps! Gd luck!

• weather dont look good for tommorrow lol