Auviour Paris: So long and thanks for the cobbles

Comments

• Guys - thank you for all your positivity about the HR training - I am so looking forward to using it and actually keeping a log! I love the idea of explaining that I am an endurance athlete (think they might fall on the floor laughing when the middle aged mum of two with chubby thighs tells them that!). ANyway - I shall get back on my spin bike with HR below 70% (is that right sleepy?). Will need to do the calcs to work that out again!

60% = 129

70% = 141.5

80% = 154

90% = 166.5

Sleepy what should I be training at for what activity? Amazing distance and terrain covered - you are amazing.

Thanks to all your posts feel geed up and positive - THANK YOU. I believe you not the fools in the gym!image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Anybody borderline GFA for London?  They have changed the GFA times, so check now to see whether you need the ballot.

New GFA times are here. My target is five minutes easier - I only need 3:20 image. 60-64 men's age group is now 3:45 (I think it was 3:30 previously?).

• Em - depends what you're training for...

Aim to do most of your training below 70% with one/two effort sessions a week - intervals should be 90% + depending on how long they are (see back a few pages to the ranges for 5k to mara pace %s) and a tempo sesh 80-90%.  If you type in HR training plans to google you should get a variety depending on what distance you're training for but let me know if you struggle.  If you do a search on here too you might be able to find what you're after.

Am I the only person not entering London?  My GFA would be sub 3:50. 

• Sleepy, great run/walk yesterday and a great report, thanks. These days are great prep for The Wall.  The terrain for The Wall is very much different as its mostly tarmac and well made paths which will make a huge difference, the climbs will be much easier and we will have tapered so will be fresher at the start. Plus, we have another 8 weeks of training still to go to boost the endurance further. So, chin up and march on.

not entering London ballot either, too short for me !!!

• Finished my cut back week yesterday with a 2hr10min hill run giving a b2b total of 4.5 hrs for the weekend and 44 miles for the week. Feeling refreshed and ready to go for the next heavy week.  2 weeks to Cape Wrath Challenge week and 8 weeks to The Wall. Up and at 'em!!! 

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Reikki - I think the changes might affect you? 

It's good that they have added the 50-59 age band, as the previous 20 year band was tough on us oldies. As with any change, there are winners and losers. Makes no difference to me at the moment as I'm still officially BFA.

• It'll be fine for me oscarr - you're doing the piggy backing remember image

Seriously though - I guess we'll just have to play it by ear - the ascent doesn't look as bad on The Wall.  We'll see when we they announce the final route...  Still determined to give it my best bash though - may have to crawl over the finish line if we set off too fast but I'm not a bad crawler if memory serves... image

Ten - that does seem a bit more logical I have to agree.  BFA - LOL - no you're not - you're UFA (Unique...) image

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

SB - I'd best not ask what FA stands for in your version image

The VLM ballot has closed already!

• Tenjiso wrote (see)

SB - I'd best not ask what FA stands for in your version image

The VLM ballot has closed already!

That's bonkers it only opened this morning! Wozers!

• Thank you so much SB! That kind of fits with what I thought - inadvertently I had been doing that but feeling guilty that they were 'junk' miles. Now I realise that having a nice easy run is actually fine so long as I am also putting in my effort miles too.image

Planning on training really easy this week as I have a 10 mile cross country on Sunday (not worth SB and OSCARR getting out of bed forimage as its such a tiddler). Last year I got round in about 1hr 45 (will look at the results) so hope to be somewhat better this year assuming the weather is ok.

11 days until my triathlon! Arghhhhhh!image

• Hi guys.

SB, I ran the red bull steeplechase challenge in that area last year and it is way harder than the profile of the wall, that day was 23M and 5,600 of climb. Don't fret especially as you seem to have survived unscathed.

Emma, tell the gym to sod off they know shite...learning your effort level accurately can only be done with a HRM.  Once they are ingrained you need it far less.  Good luck with the tri...I may dabble this summer, so let us know how it goes from a runners perspective.

I ran the best run in ages yesterday.  I went out with no watch, no route, no time limit and just ran...up into the north downs for miles on a clear day with the wind in my face and a smile in my heart.  The countryside looked full of spring promise and people I passed were smiling and cheery.  Finished off on the road, the pace lifted and it felt magical to be moving through the air with so little effort...THIS IS WHY I RUN I must never forget and not let times or competition get in the way, I am once again in love.  image

• Choisty - that makes me feel heaps better - thanks - wasn't just in my imagination then!  Loving your spring-ervation (not sure that's a real word).

Ten - Fantastic Angel? Fabulous & Amazing? Was sticking with 'For Age' but now I may have to dream up some'at cheeky image

Em - what distance is the Tri? Are you following a particular training plan? Remember there's no pressure - it's your first one!  Your only obligation is to start and finish and you'll have an instant pb - YAYAYAYAYAYAY image

• Choisty wrote (see)

Emma, tell the gym to sod off they know shite...learning your effort level accurately can only be done with a HRM.  Once they are ingrained you need it far less.  Good luck with the tri...I may dabble this summer, so let us know how it goes from a runners perspective.

I ran the best run in ages yesterday.  I went out with no watch, no route, no time limit and just ran...up into the north downs for miles on a clear day with the wind in my face and a smile in my heart.  The countryside looked full of spring promise and people I passed were smiling and cheery.  Finished off on the road, the pace lifted and it felt magical to be moving through the air with so little effort...THIS IS WHY I RUN I must never forget and not let times or competition get in the way, I am once again in love.  image

Lee - one of the wonderful things from meeting up in Birmingham was getting share your boundless enthusiasm for running and your fantistic support of ploddy runner like myself! Your post has really made me smile. Running is great - and sometimes stepping away from all the pressure and focussing on the process rather than the end result is fantastic. On a sunny day it amazing how many people smile and say hello - probably because I grin like a loon if I'm enjoying running.

Feeling much more confident about my trip to the gym this afternoon! Best find my HR strap - not sure where I have put it!

• Sleepy - 500m swim (LONG transition in bare feet across tarmac and grass), 26 k HILLY ride (another long transiiton) and then a 5k run.

I am afraid a disappointing lack of organisation with training - definately have neglected the cycling part of the tri but as you say it is my first one. Half terrified and half excited. Not sure about adding another layer for the bike ride as it was soo cold this weekend in full cycling (well running) gear and I'll be in a wet tri suit! Sounds daft but I also need to consider what I do with my hair as how I usually fit it in a swim cap won't fit under a bike hat and vice versa! mmm ...

You will rock the Wall - you are very well prepared, talented and determined - pretty winning combo ( oh and a good dollop of positivity is in the mix too).

I'm not GFA I'm AAFA! (absolutely awful). image

• Em you'll be fine chick - I did 3 duathlons with my friend on a comeback from her first child.  We hardly did any bike training - just pottered around once a week for an hour. Just go out there and have fun!  You have my utmost admiration - the swim bit terrifies me.  You'll have a much better idea of what works for you after this one - esp hair wise! 

Hopefully the weather will be on your side - may be take loads of options with you and have a chat with someone at registration about layers?  That's what I do when I'm unsure - or find a friendly face in the car park..

• Sleepy - thank you lovely. Sure it will be fine in the end and the difficult bits - well, they shall just become learning experiences xxx

I'm just off to do some HR training on the spin bike - and tell the trainers that they know bugger all! I'll let you guys know if I am banned.

But sleepy - my chunky legs in a tri suit! OH NOOOO! (and that's just the crowd shouting in despair!

• Emma...I was thinking about taking a towel for the transition if I do a tri let alone worrying about hair options, also leave a pair fo flip flops by the waters edge for the long gravel transition

• Choisty - loved your post about falling in love again, absolutely brilliant, made us all smile

• Lee the exit from the pool isn't guarded by anyone so flop flops could get nicked or cleared away! image Think I will tough it out and perhaps run along the verge where possible (there was a smashed bottle on the recce which has made me nervous). I know the hair thing sounds daft but I have to wear hear in bun under swim hat - if its too low I can't lift my head to breath and if too high I won't get my bike helmet on arghhh- can feel a fun weekend practicing how to do plats! image

Ditto OSCARRS view - your post really made me smile especially as I could imagine you saying it! 

• Morning - Em the only thing the crowd will be thinking will be 'wow - she's pretty' - only you think you have chubby legs!!!!!!

Legs are still a bit sore today so I'm sneaking another rest day and will drop my bike ride this week to accommodate what would have been today's run me thinks - opinions?

• Sleepy - think you should listen to your body and since it is shouting a bit then take an easier week - we have planty of time to fit in some more high endurance weeks and as you keep saying, you need time for the body to adapt to the training - are you near a pool? i find that a gentle few lengths (and a sauna if they have one) really eases stiffness

9:30am spinning class for me followed by some gym exercises then sauna then a second breakfast - loving this retirement thingy!!

• Sleepy - thank you for the positive stroke. image I think maybe I should get some waterproof mascara - tee hee! I think OSCARR is right you should listen to your body. Rest is the most neglected part of the training triangle - even the Kenyans take a full day off every week and do NOTHING! Sauna and a massage I would think.

Oscarr - you deserve to look after yourself - loving the second breakfast idea in particular. I have been eating like crazy recently - hope its because of the exercise and not just gluttony.image

• OK guys - rest it is - time to make a banana cake instead!  It's only stairs that are the issue - on flat ground they feel normal! Will take the dogs for an extra walk to ease them a bit more...

No pool that I know of - but probably haven't discovered it yet!  Sounds like a good idea - will get all my jobs done and then do some research!  Or wallow in the bath and pretend - oooh now there's an idea...

Oscarr - you deserve to look after yourself - loving the second breakfast idea in particular.

hear hear that lady!

• Seem to have been booted out of RW not sure why, something to do with my subs!! Oh well good to see you guys are all hard at it. Not run in anger for a week but riding to work once a week now and at 18 very hilly miles each way and standing up all day working its a good workout.  Missed joining the London Marathon lottery as I waited until lunchtime yesterday, too late, wow......craazy the amount of interest in running at the moment.

Take it easy you ultra runners, dont kill yourselves training.

• BoDukeBoDuke ✭✭✭

Choisy: Will third or what ever that post. It's the whole point of the exercise at the end of the day. Movement under own steam, freedom, outside, time and alone. Luvely.

Not getting e-mails or being able to access the forum on my phone is now getting silly. Missing half a conversation... Grrrrr

EmmaC wrote (see)
    Lee - one of the wonderful things from meeting up in Birmingham was getting share your boundless enthusiasm for running and your fantistic support of ploddy runner like myself!
    I second that that.
    Oh, be careful out there people, your enthusisaum might make loads of other people attempt to enter London too...
  • Choisty I loved your capture of the essence there as well, feeling quite lyrical now despite being on a bus heading for a risk assessment nightmare.

Ten the cheek if VMLM!  I have to stay sub 4 got 5 extra years!!!

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Reikki - ah that's okay really, I thought you now needed sub 3:50 and that you might have missed it (and the ballot). The good news is - I'm five minutes closer to being GFA without even trying image. I assume that means you're running VLM next year? I have to apply in June for my deferral place.

Today I ran a bit harder than I meant to due to trying out a new route. It turned out a lot hillier than I had expected, so it was impossible to keep the heart rate low enough. Okay, maybe not impossible, but it wouldn't have been so much fun image. Can't wait until my mileage increases more and I can explore some new routes. I'll have to be extra good tomorrow. Maybe.

• A 6miler yesterday morning in the frosty sunshine and then 7 miles tonight, so slowly easing back into it all.

Running at an easy pace and veering off standard routes to run on grass and woodland path where I can.....all to reduce the impact.

Interestingly, if I switch off and just run I find my pace creeping back up to around marathon pace. It's as if this is a natural cadence/effort that my body has adapted to and I'm wondering if this is a good sign or if it means I should have run harder during the race!

Don't think I'll fall for that one just yet!

• Heavy week this week as i build up to Cape Wrath (13 to 18th May) and then The Wall (22/23 June).  Pushing up to about 70 miles.  Same pattern during the week but the big difference is the big B2B volume at the end of the week (Sunday/Monday this time) with 4hrs followed by 3.5 hrs which is going to be a real tester.  Plenty of walk breaks and i need to plan two different routes to keep me motivated.  

I certainly needed last weeks easier week (still did 42 miles !!) and still needing more sleep than normal to keep fresh.  No injury worries so i must be doing something right.