P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• feel a bit BLAH about the whole thing tonight, suppose to be expected when you feel you haven't ran as well as you know you could.  Never mind, plenty more marathons but it is now the recovery I need to do plus the training I put in and although I know a 2:30 PB is still not to be sniffed at, it doesn't feel quite sweet enough in retrospect. image

• Fiona, as soon as I had the salted water, my stomach hit skid row mile or so later.  It is still iffy now.  Cannot believe you smashed it today one week after London! 

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

HeOw - I don't let a "bad" result change my plans. Although I was disappointed with my marathon time last year, I still continued training for this year's target as if nothing had happened.  Likewise, I haven't changed my plan to train for 3:45 for next year.  Getting the race result I want is the icing on the cake, but I still like cake with or without the icing.

• Just thought id pop in to see how everyone got on today and it looks like it was a pretty good day for everyone!

Craig, well done that was a seriously fast marathon. I was expecting you to be comfortably under 3 hours.

Fiona, I dont know how you did another marathon today and to set a pb is unbelievable. Sunderland is not far from me and it felt like a hurricane today out there!

Shaz, well done brilliant time.

HeOw, i think the fact that you even ran a marathon today was an achievement after all your bad luck with injurys and to pb after youve had loads more bad luck today is brilliant.

I know how you feel because i was dissapointed last week but give it a couple of days and you'll realise how well youve done today. I've been thinking since last week that to run a really perfect marathon you need everything to go well in the build up, and on the day which involves a lot of luck as much as anything.

I wonder how many pb's have been broke on this thread since it started, im sure someone could find out if they trawled back through 269 pages image 

• I am dithering about doing Edinburgh!!  Ha ha!! 

• Snowdonia to think of Helen, get some races through the summer in, I think you'll excel in the hills. Just can't believe how you explained your race today what you went through, kept youreslf together and finished with a PB, big kudos from me. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Some of my club are doing Edinburgh, HeOw... I'm just a little bit jealous...

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

HeOw, such a shame what happened. As others have said, you should be mighty proud for digging in and still getting a PB even if it doesn't seem much consolation to you right now. Running is a funny old game and it takes just as much mental strength as it does physical strength sometimes. You had that in spades today and a lesser person would have thrown in the towel.

I took a cup of water off someone too but thankfully I threw it over my head. Why crazy shit, putting salt in it! 

I was looking for you near the 3.45 start, but couldn't see any Helsby runners. I'm pretty sure I spotted you a few miles in on one of the sections where we had to double back on ourselves....long pants, cap and blonde hair?  

• Yes that was me Shazmo, I stripped off a few miles in though, whilst running along!  I was so so hot, cap got thrown, vest off, long sleeved top off, flashed bra, vest on and threw long sleeved top away.  Was still too hot.  Funny, was so so cold at start. 

Craig, I am not sure I could cope with Snowdonia yet - not sure I am going to do it, think I am aiming for it too soon and may leave it a couple of years.  Will see. I would like to get a good crack at having a proper go at flat marathon, 2 of my 3 marathons have been disastrious and both been Manchester.  Won't be back there again I don't think.  Hope you are smugly sitting in yours with your feet up, you did amazingly well today. 

• What about Abington then? A week before Snowdonia, pan flat, a pb course? Cheers Helen for you comment, my feet have been up most of the day with my youngest, Anna clambering over them, Lisa said well done.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

HeOw was it a nice bra at least?

• Too soon to make plans I think, I need to let today to sink in, will feel totally different about it in few days. I can see why Fiona decided to have a crack at Sunderland today as she knew at London she had not ran her fastest.  No way would I attempt a marathon next weekend! **refrains from googling Milton Keynes** 

Literatin, t'was a Shock Absorber one.  So I suppose was half decent. 

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Fantastic running today, all getting PBs

Shazmo, great result

Fiona, brilliant running - I did the prescribed 5m recovery today, and cant imagine how you achieved 26.2 miles at PB pace.

Craig, unbelievable that your previous PB was 3:30+ - you must take the record for greatest improvement.

Heow - a PB after all that the obstacles put in your way is a massive achievement, and I still cant understand why anyone would hand out salt water!?

I think we all wanted to be with 15w handing out jellly babies today. Well done everyone

• Heow I would have killed to have been able to run London and get a 2.30 min pb !!seriously don't do another marathon within the next few weeks, Fiona didn't suffer like you did and obviously ran well within her capabilities at London. All that will happen is you will end up ill and disappointed, have a nice rest..and think about an autumn marathon...Abingdon is full but you could email and put your name on the reserve list like my son has.

• Hope the Manchester lot are feeling smug, satisfied and proud today. You all should be. Now go get a fry up the lot of you! 

The new GFA times have been announced. I think everyone is ok. Only real difference is the senior men's has been reduced to 3.10. Good job I didn't carry out my plan B at London and just run for a soft 3.10 to have a proper go next time. I think I would of cried. 

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Apart from me image, is there anybody in this thread who is not GFA at least? If so, then don't forget it's VLM ballot day today.

• Dammit GFA goalposts have been moved after I was assured by the marathon office last week it would stay the same. My 3.09 is now no good, male 18 - 40 now sub 3.05

• Shit al. That really sucks. Sorry I forgot what your time was. I have a mate in the same boat who is equally gutted as am I for you. I understand thy they have done it, but really think it should of been announced prior to the marathon to at least give marginal people a chance of going for the new times. It's hardly fair announcing after the chance to do anything about it has gone. 

• Tenjiso wrote (see)

Apart from me image, is there anybody in this thread who is not GFA at least? If so, then don't forget it's VLM ballot day today.

Ballot  for me Ten, though I hit 60 next January so GFA for me will be 3.30.  Can I get my time down to that?  Need to lose 4 minutes somewhere.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Al - that's bad luck...you're going to have to have another go somewhere to go sub 3.05?

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

New GFA times are here for anybody is close. Check quickly and enter the ballot if necessary.  My target is five minutes easier - I only need 3:20 image

JF50 - you will be pleased I think.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

(((HeOw))) -- rotten timing about TOTM ...  I know exactly what you mean. For heaven's sake, why would anybody dish out salt water?? It's a vomit inducer image. I had to give it to my dogs a few times when they'd eaten something they shouldn't have ...

Guess my mum was right: never take stuff off strangers image

Still, a 2:30 PB is a PB is a PB. That must have been really really tough.

Rubbish news about GFA for some image. I half-heartedly checked the overseas ballot but at 80 quid I can't be arsed. It's Boston for me or bust image. Never really felt the love for VLM anyway. I did it in 2010 and actually ran the most even paced race ever but I found the course so so boring. Apart from Tower Bridge and the Mall that is image

• Tenjiso wrote (see)

New GFA times are here for anybody is close. Check quickly and enter the ballot if necessary.  My target is five minutes easier - I only need 3:20 image

JF50 - you will be pleased I think.

Shit I have applied in the ballot already, never thought they would change the times for guys downwards.  Will have to contact them I guess, I have a reference now from my ballot entryimage

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Yes, contact them JF50 - think you can easily cancel your ballot entry...

• NN - In NO way will I be running another marathon for MONTHS!  Couldn't mentally do it, yesterday was too hard to want to repeat anything like it, I am chuffed today with my PB and the determination it took to keep on at it.  How is ankle?

Yep, GFA changed, so had I managed to keep on without being sick etc, I probably would have dipped under 3:50 and would have been ecstatic thinking I would have had a GFA place.  Until today and I would have been really disappointed.  

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Al, that's rubbish. I'm not convinced the people on the info line actually know much (based on my experience of trying three times to apply for champs place; seems to be basically just two pleasant young non-running women in a room together). Will you have time to do another marathon before the deadline? You've got the 3:05 ability...

HeOw did you enter the ballot?

• Looks like I've just scraped into a GFA place by 30 seconds, so glad I kept pushing as hard as I could last week even when I knew sub 3 had gone.

Sorry to hear you've just missed out Al, it looks like there are a lot of unhappy people on some other threads. I can see why people are disappointed but there are some other great spring marathons. I did Barcelona a few years ago and thought it was brilliant. 

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

I agree that it's a bit harsh to move the London GFA times a week after London race has been run. Heartily sorry for those affected by this now. 

How long does the London GFA times stand? I'm 44 and did 3.39 yesterday....I'm well within the London GFA time but it is also a Boston time. Boston registration not open till later in year and there is not guarantee even with a GFA but I may as well try and enter if my London GFA will still be valid 2015......am I making sense? 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I think that GFA change has affected my neighbour too....her aim was sub 3.50 which she achieved with a 3.48, but now she needs sub 3.45. Seems a bit shitty to announce the new GFA times after a lot of spring marathons have been completed.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

When is the GFA deadline normally?