ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• Malcs......I think my thread will soon disappear off the first page for good! I'd love to keep it going if people kept posting, but I think  people have already moved back to the main sub 3:30, sun 3:15 threads.......and my life certainly isn't interesting enough to keep it going with my posts alone!

It's actually been nicer having more free time to browse some of the other threads now and then instead of being focused only on my own thread. I'll probably get more advice that way as well. 

Minni.......I've just seen your London time. My word that is phenomenal. Many congratulations. A sub 3:15 is now my new dream, but this is a long term dream. Looking at the Paris video, there's still some work to do on the weight loss front!

DS2.........I did exactly the same as you a few weeks ago. I doubted my training and went out and did my 15 mile LSR at MP. It didn't go down too well. No damage done, and it did give me the confidence of knowing I could keep MP. It was great meeting up with you and Malcs at Spitfire. First time I've ever gone to a race and known people. Definitely made it more sociable. You must be well and truly in to your taper now?

Jen........Good luck with the running club tonight. I should really follow your lead and do the same!

Reg.......I think your definitely capable of 3:45. I think that will be a lot easier to do than catch up on 2633 messages! How did you find Brighton? I've thought about doing this if I obviously fail with London application. I think I'm going to stay clear of an autumn marathon and focus on speed and strength, which should hopefully put me in a better position for a Spring Marathon next year!

Sarah.......do you have a new target in mind now you have a shiny new PB? Have you done like I normally do and enter another race in the week after the marathon to help ease the marathon blues!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Ady - it's taken me two years since I broke 3:30. I ran 3:28 in 2011, 3:20 in 2012 and 3:15 in 2013. Before that I'd done about 7 marathons all between 3:31 - 3:43. Once you've broken 3:30 the times just seem to fall. Smart training and loads of long runs (I did 9x 20m or more long runs). It's there for the taking.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    DS2 - keep going with the breathing exercises and take those sedatives I recommendedimage

I know exactly how you're feeling, in fact most of us do as we've only just been through it. I was a complete car crash last week and as I said earlier, the day before race day I was in a right state. I'm definitely going to remember that for next time because you are 100% right - the training is all there. Don't freakin' panic! image

I'm all for us settling in here. Great to see Ady back. Hopefully that other nutcase in the pink socks will be back more often too.

Reg - agree with Ady. Looks like a great target to me. What are your most recent 10K and HM times?

Do you fancy an Autumn marathon? I know yo can't do York but there are others around.

I'll be entering the London ballot again as I'd love to be there for DS2's birthday run. I don't know what anyone else is planning beyond the autumn.

Jen - that's great news. Can't wait to hear how you've got on.

Overseas autumn marathon is very tempting image
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the reassurance Minni, Ady & Malcs.

Minni - I'm looking at you as inspiration. I think our times for shorter races this year have been fairly comparable so I have to take your mentaility into the race, especially those closing miles.

I may have found someone to run with as well. Their is a lady running who was targetting sub 3:15 at VLM but was ill and had to drop out. She got in touch via the Halstead thread which I sometimes frequent. That would be really helpful! Even if it's just for some of the race.

I feel like I'm the only one running now!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Well, I was definately welcomed with open arms at the running club! Its no where near you though Reg, I'm in S Wales! I really enjoyed the evening and found myself invited to all sorts, including something called 'castle relay'. Having just googled it I'm amazed they've asked me. They must be desperate for another team member!!! (I'm sort of tempted though)  Ady,Go on, go for it, join one!

DS2, 'trust your training' is a good mantra, keep saying it! and keep breathing!

Malcs, I'm putting my name in London ballot for next year. I'm also seriously thinking of the Born to run ultra. If others are up for it I can recommend accomodation!! image 

Sarah, good luck with summer 5ks. I'm really struggling to achieve the target I set, I'll keep slogging, but I am feeling a bit disheartened.

Hello Minni image  I am in awe of you!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Great to hear it went well Jen. 

I will see how I get on at TR24 and have a think about the ultra - it is tempting. I'm just a bit concerned it'll be too close to spring marathon time to allow for recovery.

DS2 - well I'm certainly not running yet but I hope to be back in the saddle next week. Hang in there. We're all rooting for you and if you feel a meltdown coming you know where to find us.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks malcs!

Jen - running clubs aren't all about elite performers. A good sports club welcomes with open arms anyone who wants to be part of it who's prepared to take part with the right spirit. Sounds like you have found a good 'un!image

• Evening guys, i decided to come on here instead of going to the gym to do my weights...but its getting late now and I so want to go home from work!! Its amazing how the time disappears when your on these threads!!

Glad that you enjoyed your RC trip Jen...im in two running clubs now and do enjoy having the choice to run with others and talk to like minded people. One of my clubs does some great trips abroad, its fantastic.

DS2...come on hold it together...you will do great. Hope your legs have recovered now from your tough and fast run earlier.

Had a good race yesterday....was supposed to be a 5 mile recovery run but I got carried away with myself and did 5 miles in 35:38 image

Ady my next PB aim is 3:14 to try to beat my dads PB....im already sweating...not sure how im going to pull it off!

Malcs whats yours going to be for York? Im starving now...would do anything for a bacon butty nowimage

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    I'll be online trying for a place at York first thing tomorrow. Mrs DS2's friend is planning on moving to Pocklington Sarah, so if I get into York she'll be looked after for the day!

How far is Pocklington from York?

Good race. In fact amazing just a few days after a marathon.
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Wow Sarah that is impressive! I'm only just walking properly. No chance of me attempting a run until Sunday at the earliest.

Not sure on my target for York yet. I probably won't decide until the summer. May do some speed stuff and possible a race or too first. Sub 3:30 for sure. 3:2x would be very nice!

I think you definitely have what it takes to make sub 3:15 and you have loads of time to train for it.

Best of luck to all of you going for York places tomorrow. It would be fantastic if you could all get in! You have to let us know as soon as you know one way or another. All fingers crossed here.
  • DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Malcs. Only one slight issue for me. I have a client meeting at 9 am - just as the website goes live for purchases.
  • Have been trying to get a place for York- seems they sold out in 1 minute- I went on at 9.00 with the link from the email, and when I clicked on 'BOOK TICKET' it took me to a page saying no items available. After multiple attempts to refresh and phonecalls to organisers was told it is because it is sold out. image

Hopefully someone else got lucky?

• Hey Clive me too! a little suss I recon! Not holding out much hope for Monday either!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

No luck this end either!!! Not happy - but I do have a place at Abingdon so will have to go there!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Gutted, gutted, gutted.

I really thought someone would get in. Selling out in such a small space of time is a bit suspect. Then again I remember trying to get olympic tickets and those were pretty much the same. 

• So gutted DS2, lindsay and Clive that you didnt get in. I was trying to get a place for a friend for 35 mins but it kept saying to refresh...im pretty annoyed if it had sold out in one minute...thats 34 mins of my life waisted!!

Pocklington is only a 20 min drive away from York. Its the first place I worked as a GP (although I was still in training then) and I loved it there. Its such a ice place. There is a race there next tue night which im wondering about doing. Its the first 10k in the north yorkshire road league. I cant decide whether to do it or not, but the decision may be out of my hands depending on when I finish work.

Hi Malcs...Minni said that I must have not run fast enough in VLM to have been able to have raced on wednesday...im taking that as a positive (that together with the 4 hours of walking the day before VLM, running 0.1 mile to far and the heat...surely that would knock at least 4 mins of my time for my next marathon image)

• /members/images/644249/Gallery/298010_10200907194343030_741566424_n_0.jpg

DS2; The image of this poster helped me to stay positive and get round the course

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

That's a bugger about York. image

Malcs - I wouldn't think about an ultra just now if I were you.  You've just run a great marathon time and you've definitely got the potential to go much faster so why risk it?  Focus on the marathon for a couple of years and once you've gone sub 3 start thinking about ultras. image

Jen - most clubs are great fun.  I think we all look at them from out outside and think they look scary!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Minni - that's very kind of you to say. Ha image sub 3 though? Hmm, dunno about that. I would love to run a marathon at a quicker pace though. I know what it's like running a half marathon at sub 7:20 pace so to run a marathon at anywhere close to that would be just awesome. I think you're right and this will be my focus now.

Have you run yet or are you still resting?

Sarah - yes, clearly you are a slacker and need to pull your socks up! Next time put some effort in instead of merely swaning round london in 3:23 image If I were your dad I would be extremely worried!

Still holding off running here - must resist. I will allow myself a little jogette on Sunday. May take the kids with me to stop me going too fast (btw. I know there will come a day when I won't be able to say that image)

Clive & Tigger - what are your plans for the Autumn now? 

• Did you manage a run today Malcs? How did you feel? I just did a slow 5.5 miles @ 9:30 min/mls. Was nice to have a plod and try to loosen my right hamstring which is getting better day by day.

My dads keeps waving his red rag...I will beat his time even if it kills me!!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ha ha - yes, you simply have to. I have a similar target. The father of my son's friend at school did the London marathon 20 odd years ago and has been challenging me to beat his time of 3:33 for several years now. He never thought I'd get close but was very gracious when he found out I'd run 3:32. He says I still need to do it in London though image. I should say that he was 32 and 9 stone when he did it! 

I did run today thanks. It felt great to get out there. I'm so glad I rested because in previous years I think I've gone out too soon. I ended up going much faster than planned - around 7:50 pace but it felt right so I just went with it. It was more effort than on Sunday but I was happy with 5 miles of it.

9:30 must really feel slow for you? Well done on being so disciplined. I can't remember what you have up next. Any races before the 3 peaks?

I was thinking of an easy week next week. We're into May then but I realised that only a month later it all starts again for York. I had it in mind that it would be July but that would only leave 14 weeks and I want to do at least 16 this time. Scary stuff! Would be good to have a base building month this timeand consolidate the endurance that's been acquired over the last training period.

How's everyone else? DS2 - men in white coats been for you yey?image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Well done you two!

not so good here! Woke up yesterday with a very sore neck and it was no better today. Caused a nasty headache so binned all thoughts of running. Feeling a lot better now so will probably do a decent length run tomorrow afternoon and see how things go.

surprisingly feeling relaxed! 

• Morning all, Busy weekend with Weddings and all.

Managed to get in the Ballot this morning for VLM, anyone else?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Reg, I completely forgot - been busy all morning. Bit disappointed but then again having run quieter races I think I prefer them. That said there is nothing like London.

Amazing how quickly ballot places go now. In 2009 I entered a good two months after it opened. Two years ago it was full in 3 days, last year was 1 day and now a few hours. Who are all these nutcases? image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I'm in - but it seems I have an extra 5 minutes for GFA qualification so hopefully that will be all I need!!!

Just trying to get someone at VLM to confirm it is based on age on race day. Apparently it always has been - lets hope I get lucky!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

That's great news DS2 - sub 3:20 in two weeks should be very achievable for you. 

First ballot I've missed in 5 years. Doesn't look like I will get to celebrate your birthday run with you now image

• I entered myself and Mrs Reg at 12:30am as have missed out in the past. It is a great race and Mrs Reg would like to do a marathon, this comes after watching some of the units at the back of the Brighton Marathon, and thinking well if they can??!?!?

I don't hold much hope of getting in but you never know. either that or some serious training to get to 3:05, now where are those pies?

• Great stuff DS2.

You were well on the ball Reg with your entry......I entered the ballot just after getting in to work this morning. I think if I'd left it any later I'd have been unlucky. I can't believe how quickly it has filled up!

Disappointed to hear you weren't able to get in to the ballet Malcs. Is running for a charity out of the equation? Nothing against charity, but the times I've ran London for charity I've spent more time trying to raise the money than actual training for the race.

• Ady - Set the alarm for 12:05am is that sad?

I thought that exactly, I ran for Scope two years ago and was more stressed about raising funds than the training.  If I don't get into London I definately want to do another marathon next Spring so will be on the lookout for options. Paris?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Good stuff Reg.

Malcs - I was thinking the same about charity. But, also, know what Ady is saying!