Monday 29th April 2013

Morning.

Lyrics - What would you say if I said something strange

Glad you're happy with it Blisters - it's difficult when you're multisporting. Sounds as though we'll be on pretty much the same programme from here on in. Even if postie decides to use his Abo number there are always loads around if you let it be known you're looking. I have an entry that's only likely to be used if I get hauled out of the swim at Almere again - or don't even get that far.

Postie - seriously thinking of no autumn marathon?

Paddy - entered months ago. Plan was always to focus on VLM whilst keeping a base in swim and bike then play catch up.

What:            an hours easy run
Why:             I want to - and weather is more conducive to biking tomorrow
Last hard:      resting so much
Last rest:       even yesterday was nearly as good as a rest.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning!
    Blisters - I was half joking, give me the trail marathons these days over road. I'd heard about Luton being, ahem, less than inspirational. To be honest I thought Abingdon was quite dull though..I have however entered the VLM2014 ballot would be nice to run it 20 years after my marathon debut and would be the 4th time I'd have got in through the ballot (although did get in one year through the old 'five rejects and you're in' method).
    I digress,
    what - 6 or 7 easy
    why - all this marathon talk...
    last rest - saturday
    last hard - yesterdays lsr

Lyric - I think so

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Alehouse - currently in my any mile run is a good mile phase. I have an appointment on wednesday to have my SIJ mobilised yet again,, which hopefully will make things a little easier.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Indeed Tom, any kilometre is a good one, although it might not feel like it at the time.

What: rest

Why: work then QofP

Lyrics: familiar. So that's no.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Decided to rest this morning.

Might do something easy later. r&r week (with a bit!!!).

• Morning all

What: rest, might go for a walk actually, heard there's a route between front door and band rehearsal space that is 12 miles long, might go and recce it as it goes through some unfamiliar lands.

Why: resting because I'm shattered from yesterday, recceing for future training reasons.

Last rest: I had a couple of days rest before the 10k. Before that I don't remember.

Last hard: apat from yesterday did 11 miles through the Pennines from Greenfield to Hadfield.

Lyrics: not a clue.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Nice one, Blisters image

Hope you get re-mobilised soon, Tom

Dustin:
    nice marathon challenge - something different to all those big city marathons!

Half-heartedly checked the VLM overseas ballot but not really keen on dishing out 80 quid. I much rather do Boston next year image

what: maybe 2 or 3 miles tonight; maybe rest
    why: recovering
    last hard: 21/4
    last rest: 26/4
    lyrics: no

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

chicka - ahh, but is London cheaper to get to?

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

whooops - eerrr, in a way yes I s'pose image  BUT we were planning a big US trip anyway (involving Historic Route 66) so Boston could quite easily be included in the itinerary image

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

What: 3.5 miles up that hill (remember the hill I wanted to conquer just after moving here?  Well I did it image)
    Why: training plan said 30-40 mins inc hills.  Plus there were baby wildschwein at the top.  I didn't see them though, just the big ones

Last hard: getting to the top of that hill!

Lyrics: nope

Off to UK tomorrow so needed to get some training in as will be limited chances till next Monday.

Blisters, 7D great races

London marathon ballot already closed image

Have a good day all.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Entered the ballot  before bed half joked wondered  if  it would close quicker than last year it did quicker than I thought. Know I said I wouldn't do any spring marathons  due to my work but its local - we shall see

Whatimagelan 3 miles run walk
    Why: getting fit again
    Last Hard: yesterday
    Lyrics no

• Managed to sneak into the VLM ballot then, stroke of luck.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

Afternoon all

my bubble has burst, vlm changed the GFA today and so I do not have a gfa, plus because I thought I did and trained for that specifically, I didnt enter the ballot so I will not even be eligible for a club place. Cannot believe how disappointed I am, I keep telling myself I still have my pb...

nice one pammie

7D 11 miles through the pennines sounds amazing!

lmh, I also feel I want to run later

what: track later

why: I want to and maybe it might cheer me up

last hard: seeing that gfa news

last easy: all week

hey ho, worse things can happen wabo.

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

wabo: a few others have fallen foul of the new GFA regulations. Very very disappointing for some image

But no-one can take your PB away image

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

3 miles runned no walk just a few standstill pauses waiting to cross roads = slow  but non stop

Wabo - So sorry

• Sorry to hear that Wabo. At least they did announce the new GFA before the ballot - when I last looked at the website they were saying it would be some time in May - not that it helps you at all.

Well done Pammie. You're getting it back image

emzap - the hill is conquered!!! Twice the next target?

I had an enjoyable 7 mile run and managed to pick up the pace a little for the last mile. Peak flow is back up to 490 and HR/pace relationship is about where I'd expect - does the reduced peak flow increase my HR for pace? The obvious answer would be yes but I'm not sure if there's any evidence for it.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Emz- good hill work!
    Wabo - that sucks, I'm sure you could argue for you to be included in the club ballot, if you were under the impression of GFA? Our club asks to see the reject slip to go into our draw, but I think there is a case for those tripped up by the moving goalposts...

• What: 17.6 D+D. Windy bright sunny with heavy wintry showers. Included 7 miles up the coastal path with some wild seas, along daffodil lined lanes and by a couple of lochs.
    Sounds idyllic? imageimage
    Actually the last 4 miles back down the straight A road were quite toughimage

Why: last chance for a long run before Cape Wrath week
    Last Rest: yesterday
    Last Hard: 9 days ago
    Lyrics: no

Gutted for you Wabo ( but there's life outside London ...)
    LM.H should think so (as HR rises as asthma exacerbation gets worse)
    emzap great it will seem much easier next time
    (and hopefully not a boar! groan image)

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

dustin yes I guess so, but I am more thinking what OH says tbh...

OH enjoy cape wrath! told you my club is going en masse, not me though no hols left..

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Wabo sorry to hear that
    OH I'm going to pretend you didn't make that joke...it was too bad!!!

• Afternoon

What work
    Why I've had enough time off now
    Lyrics No

Blisters wrote (see)

postie postie wrote (see)

Pop over my way and get a number swap for Abo.

Seriously?

I didn't mean my number, but people do drop like flies in July and August through injury or double booking events. Theres normaly a swap list on Fetch or you could hang out on the Abo thread over here.

Wabo sorry to here you've missed out, could you not wangle a way into your club ballot through an appeal on the grounds of changing criteria?
    I can't remember the standards for female entries but for the men the only criteria that has got harder are the 18-40 group which used to be harder still a couple of years ago. the new age ranges of 41-49 and 50-59 do however seem fairer and more in line with Boston Qualifier times.
    However, I think the worse change in modern times is moving the ballot from good old pen and paper to the evils of electronic communication, if I had to rely on the ballot I would never get in these days. Bring back the postal ballot as it pays my wages!!

• Evening

Slept in today !

It's been all downhill ever since then...

Catch up with the recent goings on.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

I wouldn't be happy if I were you, Wabo: I would be writing to the organisers to say how hard you had trained etc to break your GFA target and set a PB, only to find that the goalposts have now been changed. Looking at the new times I can imagine only a small number of people will have been affected.

QofP was pleased with my legs in that whilst they were a little tender it was fairly equal in each leg, suggesting post-training fatigue rather than anything more sinister. Lots more stretching and flexibility work still needed!

Looks like a very long sleep-in, Birks!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Sounds like good news Alehouse.

That does sound like a long lay in birks image

• LMH: No I never stayed in bed till  18:41 image

• Tom: My learned prognosis from distance is that your stringy bits are as tight as violin stings. You can stretch if you like, but it’s a bit late. Sorry mate, it’s the knackers yard. Just one more thing. Where’s the winky icon? Seriously though I am a firm believer in fizzy o, cold baths, hot baths, and those cheap things that pretend to be vibro-massagers. Wives are good too, but mistresses better.

Dustin: Personally, I think that Abingdon is a great place. But now that you mention it, I can start to see why some people might think that there are particular aspects less than inspirational. On reflection, I believe that the root is deeper. I have owned an Abingdon MG for 30 years. Have you ever driven a Vauxhall?

VLM Closed already? What! FFS, I’m just home. Good job I don’t want to enter a branded Iron Man.

Lyrics? Seem familiar, but not an instant recognition.

Training? Well, last night I went to the swimming session. Shock and surprise I got a fantastic cricket ball cramp in one calf, then more in the bottom of my feet. I canned the session after 40 minutes. Today I’m on a really, really nice gin and tonic.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Please sign this! I have, and I know Wabo has! It might not make any difference to some of us, particularly we non-narathon runners, but as I said above it seems most unfair to change the goalposts after the event.

This is asking the London Marathon organisers to stick to the old GFA standards for the next year.

www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Give_the_London_marathon_good_for_age_times_one_year_grace/?LncFeb&pv=4

• Have just checked VLM and GFA

FACK

It looks like I need to cane out a 3:20.

Maybe two week's training would do it?

• Alehouse: self interest and all that.....but those blokes who are nearer 59 than 39 will find a 3:20 slightly less challenging than a 3:15.

• Wabo, you may not love me for this, but I have this feeling that the whole GFA picture has been made a bit more sensible and smoother across the age gradings. I've not done the reverse engineering, but the brackets are much better. In fact, I'd say that the female age gradings still appear to be soft. However, that analysis is based purely on elite runner percentage gradings. What I have omitted is the "real life" factor. The female 50% of the population has certain mitigating factors that mean that there is a difference between the elites and the (ahem) Mums.

Still, it's a tough call if they have not provided adequate communication prior to changing grades to become harder.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Blisters: I have no problem at all with the changes to the standards, they can be whatever they deicde! And yes, they are now marginally fairer to the 59 year old bloke! BUT the issue is that they needed to have advertised the changes at least six months ago!