P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Al - sorry to see that image. I see a number of people were misled by the VLM office and I bet quite a few won't realise until after the ballot has closed. I can only echo what Mark has said and hope you find a great alternative (or qualify in the nearish future).

• I am sure it is valid for 2 years Shazmo.  

Yep Lit, I have entered the bastard ballot. Again. Must. Work. Harder. At. Being. Faster. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Shazmo - I think your time is valid for two years, so you could use it in 2015. You might want to check from VLM people though.

• Congratulations to everyone with PB's.image I'm in awe of Fiona! HeOw - I feel so bad for you! I have followed all your training on here and I'm gutted for you that it didn't go to plan. To still get a PB under those circumstances takes some guts.

I've entered the stupid VLM ballot - again. No chance of me ever getting a GFA! image

Ran my first P&D training run this morning! Roll on October.......! image 

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

VLM Ballot is closed already! image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well, we all know that the VLM office are a load of lying bastards, but yes, it is usually two years so you should be safe, Shazmo. Though I guess you could always enter anyway in case you don't get Boston for 2014, then defer London if you do.

Ballot is already closed!

• I've entered the ballot too. I had half toyed with the idea of trying for a GFA place as I know someone who got in with a 3:52 but clearly that is a no no now.  If I hadn't stopped to walk as I wrestled with a gel yesterday I may have got a 3:50 or slightly less and would have been gutted. At least I'm no where near it now.

Goal for next year 3:45 image

HeOw - definitely don't do another marathon.  I was feeling good last weekend and paced conservatively to ensure I went sub 4 and felt fully recovered by Thursday.  Given that you weren't in best shape yesterday I think you would find it tough going.

You think you were bad flashing your bra, you should have seen the flashing going on yesterday in the Stadium of Light after I finished.  There were men and women stripping off left, right and centre.  You had to keep eyes downcast at all times. It was so wet in the last few miles that everyone was soaked through and freezing...and yes I was one of them.  You would have got an eye of 2 different sports bras and knickers if you really had wanted to seem them image

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Just wondering, anyone else not running London next year?

The Snowdonia Marathon appeals as a slightly different challenge, so this is a possible for 2014.

Anyone got any non-London marathons planned for next year, and have reasons why they are doing it?   Just curious as I'm wondering what other races are out there that may interest me.  

• Oh Fiona, I totally agree, you did a wonderful race yesterday after holding right back at London, I wouldn't even contemplate it, I would be wrecked.

I have pulled out of pacing Chester - after yesterday's runners tummy, in no way could I risk pacing a load of people, I am not willing to put myself through that to be honest, I think nerves also got to me yesterday and it would be more nerve wracking to me to pace people than be running my own race.  SOOOOO, I am going to enter Chester marathon and race that. I have good memories of last year's race, I smashed my PB by 12 mins on there, it is local to me and my friends are also running it. Will do 12 week P&D and hope that this time, I get the full benefits of it.  I love the distance, 2 a year is perfect for me and I will sell Snowdonia.  If anyone wants to buy my Snowdon place, let me know.  Will do it another year, I am not ready for it yet, want to master the flat first! 

Gutted for those of you who have missed the GFA now they have changed it. Fiona, like you, could have pipped under 3:50 had I not stopped but glad I didn't because I would be gutted today! 

ACP - see you at Chester matey!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Good decision HeOw. I am very tempted to enter Chester, and may well do so in the next day or so...Snowdonia sounds great but I'm thinking 2014 when dog a bit older so I can drag everyone down there. With Chester I can easily drive there the morning of the race on my own if I need to.
     If I enter Chester though, not sure what plan I'm going to follow....might be P&D but a bit less mileage during the week, so less MLR's...might have a look at other schedules like Daniels to see what they're like...

For next spring I am thinking getting a GFA for London again...but wouldn't mind Paris, Barcelona or Windermere...so, not sure yet. Also thinking in the dark recesses of my mind of NY in November - fits into the autumn half term quite nicely...

• HeOw - shame that you won't be acting as pacemaker at Chester as I probably would have been following you but I understand your reasons for not doing it. Far too much responsibility for my liking! image

We need to start another thread - P&D Training for an Autumn Marathon....!!

• I think I'm going to concentrate on 10k's and half marathons for the rest of this year, culminating in Cardiff Half which is the key race in October. I need to work on my top end speed (I haven't got any). So I'm hoping a few painful group track sessions will pay dividends over the coming months. The plan will then be to tick over slowly building miles up to Christmas post October before starting P and D again in the build up to London Marathon next year. I may try the 85 mile plan if I'm feeling brave!  That's the plan anyway. I know it can all go horribly wrong though, but you've got to have a plan right?!

15W - join me on a thread for a crack at 2.45 training at the end of this year for London next year? It's optimistic in my Case, but certainly realistic in yours. And if you don’t try you won’t get, so that’s the plan. There I’ve said it, so now I’m going to have to do it!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

2.45?! Well, we'll see. Sounds like you are prepared to put in more hard graft than me Chris, track sessions, 85 miles etc...I think 70mi/wk is definitely max for me, infact I'm looking at doing less miles which is why I'm thinking something different to P&D. I love running, but it's hard to fit 70 mi/wk with family, work, and other things. Anyway, eventually I will make a decision what the hell I'm doing. Might enter Chester but not work as hard and concentrate purely on the marathon as I did with London, may just make it part of continuosly plodding out the miles with at least one tempo/intervals session a week, and the odd parkrun/10k/half.

ACP - you could start that thread, if I did enter Chester I'd probably be on the chester thread quite a bit....

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Manchester marathon pics on marathon-photos.com, let the stalking begin....

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Hurrah! Race photo stalking is one of the best bits.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭
    acp wrote (see)

We need to start another thread - P&D Training for an Autumn Marathon....!!

Or maybe a general P&D training thread?

I'm going to be following their 10k training plan in the Summer, then back on the marathon training from December. 

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Chris, I'll see you (or more likely your back disappearing in the distance!) at Cardiff in October.  Looking forward to it as it was my first sub-1:30 HM, until they discovered the course was short image.  Then had a nightmare last year (combination of virus & tight hamstring) that means I feel I have unfinished business with it.

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

15w, have a look at the plan it creates for you and see if it suits.  I did create one using this when I first started running and I don't think it helped me improve very much as most of the running seemed to be easy runs.  I improved significantly more when I followed one of the "no nonsense" plans for the next event.

This may have just been me, and being in the early stages of my running - but I've just set it up again  using my HM time and targetting 10k. It gave just one speed session a week.  Even the speeds aren't that aggressive (despite picking Hard from the training level option).

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Despite the author's silly beard this seems to be a pretty good summary of some of the schedules available:

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/A_Comparison_of_Marathon_Training_Plans

• Stu. Look forward to seeing you there. Cardiff half 2011 was my first real race I guess. Got around in 1.32 and was dying at the end. Didn't really have much of a clue what training I was doing. Did it again in 2012 and got down to 1.22. Would love to dip under 1.20 this year, but got a feeling that's going to be hard. Think I may have peeked last year! ha. Great route last year mind - much better than the year before.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Chris J77 wrote (see)

I think I'm going to concentrate on 10k's and half marathons for the rest of this year, culminating in Cardiff Half which is the key race in October. I need to work on my top end speed (I haven't got any).

x2 Chris ... although I'd happily take your non-existent top end speedimage Your marathon pace was still quicker than anything I've ever run in a race image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Chris that's really annoying. My first race was in 2011 too and I wasn't much slower than you for a half and NOW LOOK AT YOU. Grr.

15W you do realise if you don't do P&D you won't be allowed on our new P&D thread, right?

• Fiona, well done on the PB, good work. I think i'll be some way short of that time next week, but hopefully not too far off.

Shazmo, 3:39 is great, it that a PB for you?

HeOw, you're obviously made of tough stuff. Nice PB in a less than ideal situation.

Craig, talk about smashing your PB to pieces, that gives me hope that with the right training I can take more than a few seconds off each time. Great work.

I've entered the VLM 2014 ballot, although not expecting to get in, as usual. I think sub 3:05 is some years off for me. First things first, is to break 4 hours in Milton Keynes. Trying to keep ticking over with the additional week of unplanned waiting.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Surely wherever I go you will all follow..?

Maybe I should come up with a schedule and sell it....

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Milton Keynes is this sunday, right?

• Holy Fuck, my photos are pretty horrendous.  I look like I have just seen a ghost and shows me how bloody rough I was.  I wish there was a way of making shite race photos be deleted... image

• And me some of mine are awful, I'm showing some bad form, must of been tiredness. 

• 15West wrote (see)

Milton Keynes is this sunday, right?

It's on the Bank Hol Monday. Which means no drinking for me over the bank hol :- Let's hope we don't get our only sunny weekend of the year this weekend.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

HeOw - I think you look hot. Craig, less so.

Craig, I did feel same about my form in the VLM pics - need someone to film us at end of long runs to check on form, or maybe just run infront of a massive mirror or something...