The London Marathon should have special places available for Londoners

2»

Comments

• No-one wants to see 10,000 skinny bald middle-aged blokes running at a middling pace. No-one.

• But give em a bloke in a mankini and 20 muppets chained together and it's a laugh riot that packs em to the rafters!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Johnny Blaze wrote (see)

No-one wants to see 10,000 skinny bald middle-aged blokes running at a middling pace. No-one.

Except my dad.  Not that he's got a thing for skinny bald middle-aged blokes.  That would be a bit weird.

• JindaleeJindalee ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)
    Jindalee wrote (see)

I think we need 2 london marathons

one with the current setup- a parade and charity event

and another one for the "runners" which have done at least another Marathon already.

but then you will get the old arguemnet back of what constitutes doing a marathon..........sub 3 hr or sub 8..........and who wants to watch a pile of club runners and wanna bes running around london.........would get no sponsorship and no crowds

I would just say everyone who completed a marathon can enter the ballot. That would filter out the ppl who just sign up for it for being on Telly and don't even know what distance a Marathon is.

Obviously the sponsorship and the crowds is a different matter but seeing how quickly the ballot closed today I would think that the demand is there.

• Do you really believe that in days of the internet, CGI Films, live premiership football, 100 TV channels that the only thing people go to watch at the VLM is a bloke in a giraffe suit? People go to see their love ones. the fact that their loves ones have earned the right to be there would make it special rather than they got lucky in a ballot.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Well, they go to see their loved ones AND a bloke in a giraffe suit. My family were a bit disappointed we had to go for lunch before all the best costumes came past. I saw their photos afterwards. There was a picture of me, and a picture of a bloke dressed as a pirate. (Suspect they were more excited by the pirate. They know what I look like already)

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭
    Update: several years later.
    Still utterly shit at running so no GFA for me. And GFA with my old crumbling body seems a cruel irony anyway.
    But, after years and years and years and years, THE ONLY MARATHON EVER has finally listened to my suggestion. And given this Londoner* a place! 

*This now means a part time Londoner who runs mega fast (aka hobbles) long the south bank and then catches the bus back home whilst eating crisps, and then spends weekends in the countryside counting sheep. 

Knees up mother brown! 
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Yay!  I hope you have spent the last 6 years learning the words of KUMB! : :p
  • I think Londoners should be put at the bottom of the list honestly

• Maybe Londoners should train harder to get GFA or raise money for charity, just like everyone else?

Or if that seems too much like hard work, enter the "Big Half" which is biased towards people who live in London?