Should results be limited to participants?

Until DF3 I would have said no. Now not so sure amazing how one smart arse can ruin something that is meant to be fun for a lot of people.

i thought running was meant to be fun... Now it's just a case of praying a stupid timing device I have no control over works perfectly.

Thanks for totally ruining a sport for me.

Edit: for typo.

Comments

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I said ruining it for me. Can't you read? 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Well... what wasn't clear in what I typed?

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭

How is it ruining the sport for you? 

Isnt it a bit like saying drug testing had ruined cycling?

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

No I have no control over a timing chip and if it goes wrong or not.

i have worked in IT for far to long, shit happens.  

That is nothing like drug cheating!! 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

See sarcastic rude comment is your first answer...

I don't drink coffee FUCKING WRONG AGAIN!!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Why should I care what someone else does, who the heck is she harming (except herself)  if something did take place in the way you claim? I mean is it going to cause WW3, no, you you are just a jumoed up bully that seem to take delight in showing off that you don't have anything better in life to do except pick on other people. 

You only attack people who are not around to defend themselves which is pathetic.  Call someone a cheat to their face... Oh no... You just like snide cute little comments. 

You are just pathetic. 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Again fucking wrong 1 bottle of 500ml black sheep Saturday night last alcohol I had.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I'll take your advice and not let a prick ruin running for me. I'll be sensible and ignore you. 

• Step away from the keyboard there !
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Blocked easy answer, but wimpy but hey..... 

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

booktrunk wrote (see)

Why should I care what someone else does, who the heck is she harming (except herself)  if something did take place in the way you claim? I mean is it going to cause WW3, no. 

I'm no fan of DF3 booktrunk, but to be fair, he did answer this question fully.

If someone cheats and achieves a GFA time - then they can take a place in a London marathon - thus cheating somebody else out of the chance of a lifetime.

• Cheaters should be banned from all events for at least a few years, I ran the royal parks half in 09 and i was sent the wrong chip and got a bad time in the results. Even after I found The photos to prove and emailed the organiser I was told it couldnt be rectified. I hate cheaters and people who support them.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

...... could take a GFA time... Yes could where is the evidence this has happened. It's just a load of assumptions

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

to answer the OP , no.
    I analyse loads of results from kids athletics up to Olympics.
    Manipulating of times isn't fair (if proven).
    Anyone with a fair set of results wouldn't fear having their results scrutinised.

Should my local paper not print all the local 10k results this year then?
    And if IT really does suck (on what seems an alarming regular basis) why do people put so much faith in electronic gadgetry?

• Don't worry, we'll all be abe to scrutinise David's results next Monday (unless he still hasn't finished)image

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

In response to the OP's question, I agree with Dustin.

Race results are used by people in different ways.
    Individuals use them. You can look at race results to guage how hard or easy a particular race is. I can look at the result of a particular runner to work out approx what time I will finish in.
    Clubs use them for a number of reasons, interclub leagues, help in training.
    Then there are leagues, GP races etc etc etc. All use the results of races.
    Friends and family like to look at results to see how someone did.

99% of the time it's all good natured. You may take exception to others knowing your performance, if so, run under an assumed name.

I'm going to use DF3, it'll be funny when he discovers that he's an old grey haired wrinkly. Still, he'll be impressed with the times.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I don't see why Booktrunk is so upset about this - enough to be quite agressive about it, too.

If someone cheats, should everyone turn a blind eye?  So it's not WW3, but why should it be condoned?

• Maybe, people who protest loudest have the most to hide... Allegedly

I'm sure I saw that written somewhere

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I do find the fact (which I only discovered quite recently) that race results go onto Power of Ten and Run Britain automatically - whether you want them to or not - a bit uncomfortable.

I think it would be better if you could choose to opt out.

However, if you aren't cheating the only thing you have to worry about is being a bit embarrassed if you're as slow as me!

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    Wilkie wrote (see)

I do find the fact (which I only discovered quite recently) that race results go onto Power of Ten and Run Britain automatically - whether you want them to or not - a bit uncomfortable.

I think it would be better if you could choose to opt out.

However, if you aren't cheating the only thing you have to worry about is being a bit embarrassed if you're as slow as me!

Yes.. I'm a bit uncomfortable with it being automatic.   Too big brotherish.

I don't have anything to hide, but why should people even be able to so easily find out where I was at any given time? 

• Not all results do though. I can't see a problem really.

"OMG - my name is in the results for a 10k. Shock horror !"
  • Easy to confuse the power of ten, My Oh has managed to get entries for

Sue

Susan

S

SJ

followed by her surname.... Even more amusing they list her with the same club each time

• There are lots of runners that I know and follow their progress whenever a local race takes place - I enjoy looking for them in results and seeing they have done well and always send them an email to congratulate them and I know that will give them a good feeling to know that someone has noticed the time they have worked so hard for so public results have at least some positives.