Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Hi All,

B2B - I'm a big fan of Montane gear (and RAB) and do most of my walking in the Terra pants.

That 50 is getting ever closer - I thought I would have seen mention of some longer runs, or are you easing back now.

Welcome Froglet - I did a similar plan to start me off, but you need to make sure you resist the urge to run too fast early on in your comeback- that's the way to an early injury. Hold back and it will all come good in the end.

As you say we all think we can just come straight back and run like we used to. Sounds like the Marathon might be something to keep on the back burner and just enjoy the shorter distances. Its a distance I would like to do at some point, just don't fancy having to do all those long runs.

Gamineez - Good luck with the training for the half. I built my long run up by a mile a week from 6 to 13 and it seems to have worked well for me. It was just the snow and ice that made it hard. Glad I wasn't training for a full marathon. It was snowing again at the weekend.

Off to the dentist this morning to get my 4 implants fitted, at last. 4 months of wearing a denture has been too long. Just not looking forward to the mega invoice. 

• HRHB - I only managed to get up to a 20 then backed off a bit due to my hamstring. My last 20 was 18th April I think its just a case of damage limitation at the moment.

I know I can do a marathon already on very unstructured training so that's half done eh?! ha ha ha!

My training "plan" says I should be tapering now but im going to go one more week as im a little off the target then I shall back it off and get some deep tissue done over the last 2 weeks.

Its too late now to push any further as far as the miles are concerned so I shall do one more long one and a bunch of small stuff to just tick over

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

They used to televise the Balmoral races - mainly when Paul was doing it to be fair!!!

Well done everyone - espeically HRHB - sub 2 hours in training - wait for the adrenaline to kick in - sub 1:50 at least!!! running up hill little steps and running down hill lean forward and go if you back you tend to brake.

Welcome froglet we are all in various stages of starting again from the beginning - the key is to accept you are a beginner - on the few times I started again in the past I was trying to run at a similar pace to what I did years ago - then I accepted it and started again - still no where near the old days but happy to be out and moving along spitting and coughing just like the old days!!!

Well I ran 8.75 or something Saturday morning - should have been 8 but I stopped for a comfort break and forgot to restart my garmin for a while so I retraced my steps and worked out how much extra I had run - the 0.75 may be more or less than that.  Yesterday I went out to do a 4 but felt good and ended up doing another mile  -

Did something stupid in the night though set my watch for 1:15 got up and applied for the London - I know the chances of getting in first time is unlikely but stranger things have happened - did exagerate my time a bit so expect to see me on the start line with Mo Farah!!!!

I sort of think I have never done a marathon for the sake of it - in the past it was always chasing a time and I hated the pressure that put me under o just to go and do sight seeing tour of London and getting a t shirt at the end of it sort of appeals.

Rest day today so I did a mile for no other reason than I wanted to try out the new racing flats I stupidly bought.

• All good stuff Grendel! The sight seeing bit is spot on mentally! Have a nice trot and enjoy the experience. Personally I tried for London for about 4 years in a row and never got in, now I just think about the billions of people that would be running and it makes me head for the woods! image

So did you send Mo a bit of friendly banter about getting ready and all that? image 

What flats did you get?

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

They were karrimor ones - not really flats as such just a light weight trainer - Sports Direct  had them in a sale very cheap and I thought I would try something lighter for the times when I do go out racing

• Grendel - Surprised to hear you have Karrimor shoes after the thread when you asked about them, and the consensus seemed to be don't go near them.

I will be interested to hear how they perform

• Grendel - Saw you applied for London on one of the other threads. Also be interested to known how you get on with Karrimors

To be honest even if I get in may defer as still on 3.3 and last night was hard work. But after years of relative no activity this will take time. Its hard enough to get into London as it is so if I do it want to give it my best shot

2013 - 24.3m

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

The karrimor thing was an experiment - they are a very lightweight trainer in comparison to my trainers - and I as someone who used to race in very light racing flats (Brooks Conquest, Reebok Paris and some more whos names are forgotten in the mists of time ) I can't actually see any difference - so will use them for races to see if it gives me an edge!!! (if they fall apart in the second mile of my next race then it is an experiment in cheap that hasn't worked!!!) But eh B2B wears flipflops and he is doing pretty good!!!

3:30 I did enter London - I figured if I enter and don't get in then I haven't lost anything but if I don't enter I will be no worse off - As I said earlier on the thread in my past life all my marathons were done under pressure - pressure to run a time. Even my first one way back I had a sub 3:18 target (ran 3:16) because that was the time a mates brother had run.  Having watched London the other week I thought it would be nice to plod along the road not really caring how long it took

AM sort of enjoying drifting along on a 'longer' run at 12 minute miling on a saturday or sunday morning - (mind to get 3 hour runs in will have to start about 3am which will be pretty nice in mid winter)

• ha ha ha Grendel just do what I do and run with some tape for on the fly repairs ha ha ha!

Thats where the nice summer evening run comes in, 12m/m in the woods or along a river just bopping along with the sun on your face! Bliss! image

Got an email today and guess what? Yep you got it! Ive blagged another pair of sandals! imageimage woohoo! I LOVE free stuff! This blogging and blagging is really my style image

Also got a mail with race details! imageimage

• Just done my first run for ages. I wish there was an decent excuse but it was just general sloth plus it was COLD. Anyway first time out for ages and it was a walk run 5k and I was shocked how unfit I am. I am thinking of entering a 10k in Sept or Oct as need a challenge.

Any tips of getting back to running for aged ( 65) overweight plodder

• Welcome Female Plodder! 

Just take your time really! Build it up slowly and never let anyone tell you that you are done running! image Try something like a couch to 10k plan and see how you get on. Treat it as a guide though and listen to your body. Your body is your best training tool, if you feel tired, rest. If you feel like running hard, leg it! image

Most of all and this is the most important thing....have fun and dont forget to smile! image

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

FAILURE......

I think I will update my name to the above for this month as punishment. Due to various commitments I missed Sundays run, and due to Chelsea's FA Youth Cup Final appearance Monday I missed that run too. NOT impressed with myself. Realising running 9 miles last night was a silly idea I missed last night too, got an early night and was up at 5am this morning for the first run of May. 4.45 miles done and there will be no excuses this month. 50 miles will be ticked off.

Month - 4.45

2013 - 132.11

• Morning all,

trying not to blow things out of proportion but after my run on Saturday my foot is really hurting.  it all felt fine till I stopped, then I started to notice an ache accross the top of my right foot.  I thought maybe my laces were too tight and that it would wear off but it hasn't and after a pilates session with lots of balancing it feels more achy image 

walking down stairs it hurts.

its the foot that fell off the shoe before Xmas, maybe I am compensating somehow or maybe it's a classic case of too much too soon.  Thought I'd been taking it easy...

any thoughts? supposed to be doing a 10m hill run on 12th may

Argh!

• Back2basicsBack2basics ✭✭✭

Just Run - Stuff just gets in the way sometimes, dont worry about it! Focus on 50 this month you can do it! image

Gammineez - your problem can be helped with a foot cocktail! image

Half fill a washing up bowl with cold water and the top it with some ice. Flavouring is optional though topping it off with an umbrella is a must! Place the offending appendage into the cocktail and enjoy for about 10/15 minutes or until your toes go blue. Remove sparkly new foot and dab with the softest of fluffy towels made from 100% ducking feathers.

If you wish to treat your feet a little further then take the same bowl and fill it with water as hot as you can stand and add some sea salt to it. Go and make a cup of tea and grab some chocolate hobnobs then come back and apply foot to said bowl again for about 10/15 minutes. Upon removing your foot be prepared for a glowing smile coming from your now very happy toe holder!

*Disclaimer - I am not a doctor so please take this information as friendly tips and not medical advice. I am also not a pilot or a sailor so for any further information regarding flying or sailing you should consulate a trained professional first. The same applies for carpentry, roofing, astrophysics, botany, time travel and baking.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

PMSL

I have a very sore Gluteus maximus muscle - do I have to sit in it??? 

Welcome Female Plodder - B2B, as you will see is a font of nearly all knowledge so when he speaks it pays to listen - Enter a race later in the year, nothing focuses the mind like a target but as B2B says take it easy - it really is the way forward!!!

Indeed Grendel! Maybe not a washing up bowl though unless you have a very small bum or a larger than average bowl! image ha ha ha!

All joking aside though you could do the same thing in the bath, might try it out actually on my hamstring...

"A font of nearly all knowledge" ha ha ha I might get that on a business card! I strongly put the emphisis on "nearly" 

• Thank you for the friendly welcome everyone.

3.30 and Female plodder, looks like we are all at a similar stage so I look forward to readng of your progress.

Female plodder - I think following a plan which includes timed walk breaks is going to work well for me because it kind of "legitimises" walking and means I don't burst a lung before I stop! Im using RW 5k beginners plan. Half runner/biscuit - you are right I was thinking if I'm not running very far I should run it faster, point taken. I'll take it steady image 

Did my second run of the week this morning before work, It was a glorious sunny morning, trotted around the park acknowledging the dog walkers and their dogs and admiring the spring bulbs - It felt good to be back out there!

• Froglet

Well no progress today as a rest day !! But a good thread this although a bit mad at times  !!

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Mad but encouraging I hope!!!!

After yesterdays pyramid session - 1, minute, 2 minute 3 minute, 4 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 all off a minute recovery I did a 5 mile canter this morning, easy, about half off road - the sea lapping the beach one side and the fields beginning to turn yellow with rape seed on the other - hayfever heaven - 4 miles to do tomorrow followed by 10 on saturday so hopefully will get through that OK

Well here goes

2013 - 600 miles 37.5% of my 2013 target done

Hapy days

Mad?! Us?! image I for one cant possibly be mad........im a sofa!

Grendel - Bloody hell 600 miles already?!?! Which one of us is meant to be the wanna be ultra runner?image

2013 - 240.95

• Grendel - yes mad but very encouraging

I am still wondering about the running flip flops !! lol !!

3:30 - ha ha ha the only way to truly get it is to give it a go! Sandals are a bit strange to get used to but I love it!

oh also this wont really help my "im not mad case" but I am now running with a knitted mouse....image

Cardiosaurus.blogspot.com

• B2B

Reading that blog and each mouse will need to be 0.23 of a yard long to make a mile - will that include the tail ?

I think we need a pic of said mouse !!

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

The wannabee ultra runner is the one that goes out and does 20s, not the wimpy one who is already dreading Saturdays attempt at 10!!!

yeah it includes the tail....thats a lot of mice eh?! 

ha ha ha yeah but the work is there! I think you are a closet ultra runner you just dont know it yet! image

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bafv38jC4fA/UYIz8IbCaGI/AAAAAAAAAGs/Zvyj--wc2PY/s1600/1367434240452.jpg

here we go! Milo the mile of mice mouse! image

• i am still waiting for my chance...i gotta go...

www(dot)nocostshoes(dot)com.

• B2B

That mouse reminds me about some kind of knitted toy that runners used to send all around the country so people could take it on marathons with them .. cant recall what its was all about but this just reminded me

4 for me tonight in 41:35

2013 - 47.2m - Oops last time put mileage up put monthly not for year !!!

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Will have to have a catch up over the weekend but for now....

....Another early run done, just an easy 3 today but will get out for a nice slow hilly 6 miles on Sunday morning.

Month - 7.51

2013 - 135.17

• Morning all,

well done on that morning run JRt, easier now that its lighter?  Can't believe you've clocked 600 Grendel, that's amazing!

B2B I enjoyed foot cocktail last night, thank you very much image 

Managed an easy 2 last night.  Funny the difference in my head going out last night and wondering if it was the right thing to do or whether I should rest more.  Compared to last Saturday before my long run when it all felt good.  Got round last night but it was weirdly hard, Even my breathing was harder.  I'd put my old shoes back on which I haven't run in for ages, they felt properly weird.

have decided that the 10m hill run is a bad idea, put myself under a bit of pressure there.  I'm convinced that it was the downhill bit of last weekends run that caused the problem (was proper steep downhill trail)

going to ease off and gradually increase the distance again, I forgot the rule, change distance or intensity but not both.  My other half says that it is good news that it is a new niggle and not the old one.

HRHB did you follow a half marathon plan or just increase one mile a week?  

Does anyone know how Nick went in the VLM?

happy running