Mental illness and running

Comments

• just found this thread/ i used running to get over my diagnosed stress this winter. i then fell off my push bike 2 months ago and did this cut, broke my wrist, bruised my brain and hip bone and am now not  allowed to run for at least the next 4 months. hmm. image

/members/images/358091/Gallery/Image0051.jpg

keeping things positive is my new mental challenge. i relie on training to help make me feel good. will see tomorrow at the doctors if i can start on the spinning bike and do no impact Calisthenics. Crying is part of my new self, which is interesting as my wife now describes me as a pregnant old man- i have had the odd moment acting like a forgetful grumpy old man crying at birds feeding in the garden.

keep smiling folks and just enjoy he chance to run when it presents its self. image

• Looks very nasty, S1.  Hope you're up and running again soon.  I'd certainly hate to be ruled out of running for that long.

• LR be proud that you pushed it, and kind to yourself now you are exhausted! It's a tricky balance isn't it?

Ha ha glad the thread is home again SCaz, I am very sorry about your friend though, that must be tough. 

Wow sleepless that is one heck of an injury, it is really tough when exercise as a coping strategy gets pulled away. I've had a similar if considerably less dramatic experience too with asthma that has taken a very long time to control. New coping strategies are hard to find and not as effective but doing 'stuff' helps. I learned to knit and have been learning to cook. I am relieved to be running again now though, as I am sure you will be in another few months! I am still a bit speechless by that impressive injury, you did a 'proper job there!' 

+1 to asking how the lurkers are

• Morning. I'm well. Had an awful time at Stratford Half at the weekend and pulled out at 2 miles to do my own thing along the river. I was right at the back with nobody in sight but the cyclist bringing up the rear. So it gave me a wake-up call to run more and I'm off out in a minute for a half hour plod. 

Yesterday I went for a tennis lesson at the gym and LOVED it. I met up with a partner to practice with and we booked a court for Thursday. I can do a swim afterwards too.

Then tomorrow I go on a trip to York on the Orient Express!!!!!!! I've bought a 20s style hat and get a manicure this afternoon. So excited. 

Still not heard from my interview last week so looking doubtful but there is so much other good stuff going on that I'm not too sad about it. 

Oh, I also got an app for depression that helps me keep track of my mood and has tips for challenging thinking errors with a diary to talk me through how I can re-think things. I'll try and find a link if I can. 

Good to hear from Solb 

Hi Sleepless - take of that injury, looks nasty.

• Oooo wow to the tennis lesson, sounds fab! I like the idea of meeting up with a tennis partner too. Soupy you awesome little thing! 

Sorry about the half, but there will be other races to storm and perhaps if it motivates you to feel positive getting some more running in then it isn't all bad. 

I've been trying to be aware of the negative thoughts that I'm letting rage when I'm blue, unsurprisingly mostly it's massive self criticism ... no wonder I struggle with feeling ashamed all the time I beat myself up with real or imagined stuff constantly! 

It is a beautiful morning, I was slobbing about feeling fat but having logged on I now feel like a run would be more productive *toddles off* 

• i forgot to kurk and now i feel like a really cr4p person for not knowing what is going on with my friends.

• don't worry about kurking by eck. We forgive you and hope you are looking after yourself. Thats the main thing. How are you doing?

• Cheers Soup, keeping a diary is a good idea. I forget how my moods change and it seems loking back over the past 2 months that my depression is driven by hunger or tiredness. I don't know about you guys but more sleeping and eating sounds good to me! image

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Today has been a very mixed day.  Some good news and some bad news.

• Slightly better day for me.  Still feeling like a major effort required to make it to the running club tonight.  It really was a mistake to turn out on Sunday.  GP appointment sorted out today but it's not until a week tomorrow.

• I didn't get the job. image  I don't have enough recent experience of organising events which is what a lot of the job is about. That's fair comment but the bit about doing events was just one line at the very end of the job description. 

Oh well, I'll carry on looking. 

• Bother.  I got there and panicked so no run. image Things have gone well on the running front in recent weeks - just haven't fully recovered from a bad weekend.

Commiserations on the job Soupy.  I'm not sure that I'd qualify on the experience of organising events.  I have plenty of experience of organising beer drinking events but I guess that wouldn't count.

• Aww sorry there's some bad stuff floating about today, poor loves image 

I went to see a friend today, we knitted and chatted. She looks amazing having just got back from holiday, much more relaxed image 

Hope you get something else soon soupy, job hunting is really hard. 

Ahh LR I think you are right, you just haven't YET recovered fully, massive well done for trying. It'll be OK. 

I'm feeling really fat, push me out for another run tomorrow please 

• sets alarm for solby

• thank you darling image

I don't feeling like I've made any progress today - got no worse but moved no further forward either. 

I think it's bedtime, kettles on for hot chocolate image xxx

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Morning everyone.

S1, that's a big injury you did.

By Eck, you cannot expect to keep up with everyone all the time.

Pleased to hear that little steps have been achieved by many, Soupy I am sure you will get another job soon.

(SCaz) I can't find the right words to type, so () will have to do.

I am wibbling because of upcoming races. I am feeling stressed 'cos I haven't trained enough the last few weeks, work has been busy and chaotic, and frail/stubborn FiL who needs visiting everytime Mr Steady has a Saturday off is wearing me down.

I will try to get out for a run/walk later to calm me down.

• just seen doctor today. another month of work. physically bones are nearly healed, mentally still rather messed up. will see first steps doctor for help with that. 

i am allowed to go on long walk with willing carer/ friend/ victim. 

no exercise which jerk head or raise blood pressure on brain.

walking, swimming and static bike. for next few weeks. 

hoping this helps get a grip on depression. 

i explained to the doctor that at first i needed help adjusting to being a mental prisoner in a broken body. now i need help with a broken mind in a nearly well body. 

luckily she knew what i was on about.

i am allowed to walk on my local fells again- which made me cry and set my wife off crying as well!

/members/images/358091/Gallery/home-eskdale-english-holiday-letting-owners-direct-1825230.jpg

• O wow the fells are stunning, broken mind in a nearly well body sounds really tough though! Hopefully walking with a victim will help you to feel a bit more positive - you poor little soul that really was a heck of an accident. It's not surprising you need some help after such a traumatic and wide reaching fall. Not being able to work and losing the routine and happy of sport all at once must have been really tough - it strikes me you've already done really well! Keep fighting! 

Ahhh Steady that's rubbish about FiL what are the upcoming events? Is it a case of not being able to get the sort of times you're used to or are you worried about completion?

Afternoon everyone by the way, I had big plans for today but I've just been asleep in a wiped out little heap - don't know why. I need to pop into town to go to the bank, am tempted to cycle in (about 16 miles round trip) but it's a bit of a stretch given how new I am to sporting again. I'd feel better and I can take breaks ... probably have a sore bum though! 

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Solb, I am doing a sprint tri and HIM, the HIM is pushing myself to the limits for endurance. I think its the feeling of being pulled in 2 different directions and wanting to support others all the time. I want to have some selfish me time and feeling guilty that I want me time.  I know all about sore bum from riding a bike, build up the time cycling steadily that way your bum gets used to it and it doesnot hurt so much.

S1, lovely phrase "broken mind in a nearly well body". The fells look inviting, good that you can go for a walk with someone, better than no walk at all. After falling and breaking 4 bones in my wrist, I lost confidence walking and the first few times only went out with company. Now happy to go off for up to an hour for a run. Also remember that Cracknell rowing chap that had a nasty accident, it took him time to fully recover and he ran London marathon this year.

• Wow HIM is immense! Wow. Sprint and endurance both coming up must put pressure on you trainingwise. 

Poor little thing, it's tricky trying not to feel guilty about looking after yourself too.

Glad you managed to get your confidence back SteadyCJ image 

The bike ride was scuppered by tree pollen and asthma colluding to make me a big teary wheezy mess image I only got 15 minutes in before I realised it just wasn't do-able and my breathing wasn't settling. I think I need to do some work on working out when asthma is better - I ran in the evening the other day and it was fine 

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Solb, I know what you mean, I have just got back from a run and found my breathing hard work. I had to concentrate on breathing out for 3 steps then in for 3 steps, took little steps and that was a bit easier. I had heard that the hayfever season is going to be bad as all the plants are in blossom at once due to the weather.
    If it is pollen related try a morning run, the pollen is less likely to be blowing about early in the day.

My plod was OK, having to walk often but only took very short breaks, wish I could get back into running for longer before walking.

• running as an Asthma sufferer must be a real gamble with all the pollen. did you watch that program yesterday about commuting to work through the city? a cyclist, train and bus were competing and the cyclist's mask was filthy. a girl from the country studying in the city was monitoring her mask results and the city air has all sorts in it. 

the cyclist just said his cycling makes him feel healthy now so stuff it, which made me chuckle. 

i walked as fast as i can on the dunes today for an hour, did 3 miles, and am so physically tired my poorly brain has no energy to squable with it's self with. making the effort to get rid of naughty energy is just what the doctor ordered me to do this morning and it has worked wonders. walk before you can rub never felt so good after 9 weeks of not even walking. you will get there if it means good things to you Steady. 

remember why you like running. e.g. ; my  reason, this is worth learning to run again for, up Scafell with both my boys on a school night last summer, priceless to me. 

/members/images/358091/Gallery/225927_10150301649332222_8347417_n.jpg

Toughest lesson at the mo it realising sh1t happens and usually no fault of mine. 

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Yes, shit happens even to those who plan for every eventuality.

• No sh1tting in here *hands out loo roll and points in the direction of the portapotties*

• I quite like it image

Bit down today as it was interview day for my most recent job applied for and I didn't get to interview stage.  On the other hand it does mean I can go full out for another job that sounds even more up my street.  Still loving my improv so apart from slight worries over money life's not too bad now.

Except I've either got a cold or hay fever which I don't usually get but I'm all snuffly image

• that is an interestimg article.

i made myaelf buy new runnjng ahoes. well, my friend dragged me to the shop as she needed some trail shoes and told me to get some