2013 Running Goals

2»

Comments

• Well, a sub 3hours marathon and collect some points for The ultra trail mont blanc. Probably doing a 3 points race in June, which leaves me half a year to do 2 other 2 points races. Might actually go all the way this year and run it next year already image
  • AgentGinger, good luck in your marathon this weekend!!! what time are u aiming for?

• Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)

AgentGinger, good luck in your marathon this weekend!!! what time are u aiming for?

Cheers Angela, I couldn't make it to manchester this weekend, unfortunately. I've booked into Milton Keynes at the last minute. I'm hoping I can keep my fitness ticking over for one more week, so my goal is still 3:57:05 or quicker. We'll see how that turns out on the day. Given my only marathon to date was in 5:08:22, I'll be astounded if I don't get a pretty huge PB whatever happens.

• Fit-Running-Cat wrote (see)
    Agent ginger, post marathon I always get a few PBs in the 2-8 weeks after.

You've got the boost from marathon training so just need to tick over a bit.

2-6 weeks after I've done PBs across the board 5k, 10k, 10 mile, half m. 10k is good one to go for. Set yourself some races.

Yeah, i heard that, and i'm hoping to capitalise on it. The 5k PB shoudl be easy enough, as my PB is 25:55, and i've run the second half of a 10k faster since. My 10k PB is 46:25, so if i could knock another 30 seconds or more off, i'd be really pleased. I plan on doing 2-3 parkruns in the 6 weeks after the MK marathon, and i've booked in a couple of 10ks too. One is only 6 days after so I may not be recovered well enough to beat my existing 10k time, but it'll give my legs a turnover. The other is about 3 and a half weeks after, a freebie around canary wharf, it's not an ideal route, as it's twisty circuits of the wharf, with lots of bottlenecks and running past busy bars etc, but i'll do it with a few friends, and have a beer after, so it'll be fun.

• Thanks for the update AG. Been wondering how you did yesterday. Enjoy MK and the redways!

• Hi AG, when is MK marathon?  I'm doing Halstead in 12 days... taper madness image

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Well we're well into the year now.  At the outset, targets were

• 5K sub-21,  (not yet run one)
    • 10K sub 45, (highly unlikely.  Only achieved 48 - but still a '20yr PB')
    • HM, sub 1-45  (achieved a PB around 1-48...  but can I find 3 minutes??? )
    • Marathon sub-3-50 (not yet entered a 2013 marathon.  Could look at Chester.

My running is sort of OK... but treading water a bit. The targets were ambitious but even taking that  into account, I'm not particularly happy with how I'm progressing.

• AgentGingerAgentGinger ✭✭✭

Chin up, Run Wales. We're only just in May, two thirds of the year left yet.

MK Marathon is on Bank Holiday Monday, so 4 more sleeps, or rather 4 more torturous taper days. In the 4 weeks after i'll be trying to improve my swimming beyond 25m sprints of the pool, followed by gasping like an asthmatic. I'm going on some watersports activity hol in June, so could do with being a bit more confident about not drowning. Nothing like a bit of motivation.

After that I'll be spending the rest of the year trying to improve the 5 and 10k times. Given my 5k PB is 25:55 and I ran the second half of a 10k recently in 23:07, I reckon i can knock a big chunk off. 22:xx shouldn't be too much of a stretch with current fitness, so perhaps 21:xx something by the end of the year? I'm not sure what's realistic at this end of the spectrum. It's not so long ago that I thought breaking 25mins for 5k would be a tough ask for me, but consistent marathon training has helped me shift those goals.

I'm not sure how much I can improve on the 46:25 PB for my 10k, but should be able to get under 46 with some focused speed work, and perhaps even 44:xx is a reasonable goal for the year. I'm just going to train consistently and see where the chips fall. Perhaps I'll be happily surprised.

• AgentGingerAgentGinger ✭✭✭

well, goal of 3:57 was on target at half way, but i faded hard in the heat during the second half and finished in 4:19.

Still a PB, but a little disappointed that I couldn't capitalise more on the training miles i've put in over the winter. Hey ho, it wasn't to be, and it'll spur me on to train harder next time. I've entered VLM ballot, and if unsuccessful in that, will try another spring marathon next year.

For the time being, I'm turning my attention to shorter distances, hope to get an "official" 5km time below 25:55 which is my quickest recorded time, and hope to knock a chunk off my 10k PB of 46:25 with some focused speedwork training.

This week i'm doing practically nothing though, and then for the next 4 weeks i'll be spending a lot of time in the pool trying to improve my swimming before going on a watersports hol in early June. During this time i'll just be running for fun, no watch, no pacing, etc, just get out as and when i feel like it.

When i get back from my holiday, I'll book some 10k races in, and do some parkruns in between them. I aim to "race" either a parkrun or a 10k every 2-3 weeks. There's a 10k in Battersea Park on 13th July that I'll be doing, and again on 3rd August, one in Victoria Park in London on 7th Sept, and back in Battersea on 19th Oct and 30th Nov.

I'll be trawling the forum over the summer hopefully picking the brains of some of the speedsters on here for tips and guidance.

I have no real clue what is realistic to expect from 6 months of 5-10k training, so i'm just going to train hard and see where the chips fall.

• I ran my 50th parkrun this morning.

http://jinkchak.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/accomplished.jpg

How is everyone else getting on?

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    Run Wales wrote (see)

Well we're well into the year now.  At the outset, targets were

• 5K sub-21,  (not yet run one)  STILL NOT RUN ONE.
    • 10K sub 45, (highly unlikely.  Only achieved 48 - but still a '20yr PB')  PB WAS ACTUALLY 49.  AND STILL IS, DESPITE 2 ATTEMPTS (NOT FAVOURABLE COURSES THOUGH)
    • HM, sub 1-45  (achieved a PB around 1-48...  but can I find 3 minutes??? )  I'M ONE MINUTE NEARER.
    • Marathon sub-3-50 (not yet entered a 2013 marathon.  Could look at Chester.  IN TRAINING. WOULD PROBABLY SETTLE FOR MY FIRST SUB 4.

My running is sort of OK... but treading water a bit. The targets were ambitious but even taking that  into account, I'm not particularly happy with how I'm progressing.

Well done Tom.

I said my targets were ambitious.  It's looking like I'll struggle to achieve any of them.  Updates in bold capitals.

• andyp wrote (see)
    My aims are to reach both 100 10k races and 100 half marathon races. I'm at 94and 90 respectively!

Now up to 98 10k's and 92 HMs.

I have two 10ks lined up for 31/7 (Thames) and 25/8 (Englefield) so fingers crossed!

• C P 31 wrote (see)

Well at the beginning of the year it was to run a 10k race...did that in March so now the aim is a sub 50mins 10 and just to get round a half marathon. Getting really into this running lark...

Well.....did a 10k in 50:06! So close yet so far......probably going to leave trying it again until next year. HM done in just over 2 hours so new aim is under 2 hours in my next one in October.

• Good effort CP31.

Which half-marathon are you doing in October?

Well played Tom on your 50th Park Run tooimage

• Well, 80% of the year is gone. My running has taken a back seat since May, partly because of an ITB problem that came along, and partly because I used that as an excuse to take a break from running, so very low mileage throughout the summer. During that time I have improved my swimming a lot. I'm now comfortable with crawl and breast stroke and can swim for half an hour or so quite happily. I won't be breaking any records and not sure I want to enter a tri any time soon, but I'm happy that I have another form of exercise to turn to when running starts to become stagnant.

Back to running about 4 times per week, currently up to about 20-25 miles per week, depending on the week, and quite relaxed about the schedule, just going out every other day or whenever the mood takes me. All quite slow, and I can feel that I need to improve leg strength and endurance, but that will come with patience. I failed to get a ballot place for London next year, and will probably enter Manchester. So training for that will start in December.

I haven't run a 5k race this year, so my PB still sits at a languid 25mins. I'm going to try to make it to parkrun tomorrow, and see what I can thrash out in my current shape, to give me some benchmark of where my fitness is at the moment. There's also a 10k in 2 weeks and another in 4 weeks. I may enter one or both of them, depending on I feel my body is coping with the return to running. I doubt I am in 46:25 shape at the moment, but I suspect I could nip under 50 mins if I continue to add more mileage and improve stamina.

There is a period coming up in November when I am free almost every saturday morning so intend to do a few parkruns and see if i can nip under 24 mins before the end of the year, which i'd be reasonably happy with, given how the year has panned out.

Well done on getting your 50th parkrun, Tom. Is that a red T-Shirt? Hope you're all inching towards your goals, and enjoying your runs image

• Parkrun 50 shirt is red (it's not the one I'm wearing in my picture, but similar).

I've done a bit of cycling, was doing about 20 miles per week at one point. That's gone to pot a bit since the clocks changed and the weather got a bit worse. Hoping better equipment (lights, mudguards, waterproofs) will get me doing a bit more. Might do the Round The Harbours ride next year, will decide nearer the time.

Managed to smash my half marathon PB, 1:32:53 (was 1:38). Hadn't really planned on doing that but I had a good couple of months leading up to the Bournemouth half marathon so I went for it image

Still parkrunning. Managed to do 19 different events now (new parkruns in Southsea and Bournemouth helped a lot). One more and I'm on the Most Events page.

Plan for the rest of this year and the start of next is to do some more Hampshire Road Race League events. I'd like to get my 10 mile PB under 70 minutes (currently 73) and run another sub-20 5K (only managed that once).

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

5k sub 20min (done, 19:57)

10k sub 41 min (last 42:45)

HM sub 1:30:00 (last 1:35:10)

• Good work Nayan, keep it up.

Tom, you might have changed your clocks a bit prematurely, they go back this weekend coming (Sunday 27th). On the plus side, it probably means you're an hour early for everything image

• Ran a sub-70 minute 10 mile (Lordshill), very pleased with that. Did the Yeovil parkrun on Saturday to take me to a total of 20 different ones.

Should be able to get at least another 2 parkruns in before the end of the year, that would take me to 60. Hopefully do one of them sub-20, flat course and a day when I'm feeling quick should be all I need.

• Not a running goal as such.

However I'm thinking of go back to my old town and re-running the 2.5M route of my first ever running diary logged training run on 1st Aug this year

It'll be my 30th running celebration.

• That's a good plan Birkmyre.

My 30th runing celebration is to run the Reading HM on 2/3/14.  The Reading HM was my first ever event, and the event next year will be my 100th HM.  Bit later than planned but hey-ho.

• andy: That should of course be one of my goals for 2014 ! Yours sounds a 'cunning plan' tooimage

• Well, despite the year not quite panning out as I had hoped, I ran my first parkrun for about a year last Saturday, and finished with a time of 22:54, which is a PB of 3 minutes and 1 second, if you compare it to the previous parkrun PB. The fastest ever 5k i had ran before was the second half split of a 10k, which i did in 23:07, so either way you look at it, this was a PB for me, which i'm pretty pleased about.

I've also managed to improve my swimming, and get a bit stronger through this year. I swam every day in the sea in Greece when i was on holiday this year, and didn't feel anxious or stressed about it at all, so I'd say that's progress, considering where I was just over a year ago.

I've no real remaining goals for the rest of this year, except to keep cranking out the miles and hopefully get myself into a decent shape so I can have yet another try at a sub4 marathon next April in Manchester.

For any of you who still have 2013 goals in your sights, good luck image