P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Hi all, can I join in?  I'm going to be following the up to 55 plan for Clarendon in October.  Was supposed to be my second one, but fell down the stairs while training for Milton Keynes image  Very not an advanced runner, must just be a masochist!

• Tiny - I believe "nutter" was used on the other P&D thread!

with a HM time of 1:42 you should be capable of sub 4 or less but always difficult when stepping into the unknown. You should look at the new Fetch predictor for marathon times as it appears more accurate than others.

P&D has certainly resulted in huge improvements for me. I followed the up to 55 plan and used heart rate for all my runs. I would recommend it as I think you see the improvements in pace much more than you would if you stuck to pace.

• Hi daisyjess and daeve.

Thanks Fiona.  I tried the fetch one too and that comes out with 3:47.  I think I might make my 'A' target 3:59, 'B' target 4:15 and 'C' target to get round in one piece with clean underwear.  Will see how I can on with training over the next few months and adjust accordingly.

I do have a HRM but I find that if I have it fitting snugly (snugly......is that a word?!) then the plastic 'garmin' bit cuts into my skin, even with generous amounts of vaseline, but if it's too loose it ends up around my waist. Hence it's now in the bottom of a drawer somewhere.  May have to dig it out again.

• Hi all, please can someone point me in the right direction for more info on P & D? Ran 4.17 at London and would love to do 4 hours at York in October! 

• Hello all, would love to join you and I have a question thats bugging me. I am running Abington, it will be my 6th marathon and am hoping to get close to 3.30 having just done London in 3.38. I followed the RW ultimate sub 3.30 plan and know I ran my long runs too quick.

Next time I was looking at trying the Garmin ready sub 3.30 but it concerns me that there are only 2 runs of 20 miles and 2 of 18 miles but it is much more pace specific - is this the trade off and does it work? i.e run your long runs a bit quicker but do less of them? It would seem to make sense but i've never ran a marathan with fewer than 5 x 20 milers in training.

Does anyone have any thoughts or is this just obvious and i'm being thick?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ooh, lots of women, that's what we like to see! Er, and welcome Daeve!

Denise, you might want to get the book  (other bookshops are available) which has training schedules in it but also quite a lot of useful explanations of the different sessions and why they're there.

Tiny, I didn't wear knickers for my marathon. Maybe that is the secret!

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

I'm in, followed P&D 12 week plan for my first marathon at Lochaber a couple of weeks ago, finished in 4:28, this time I'm going to do the 55 mile plan with the long runs from the 70 hopping to go sub 4 but will assess MP later in the campaign 

• err sorry, forgot to say,  I know you are all doing P&D plans so hope you dont mind me asking about a different one

• Hi, can I join your gang? I'm aiming to do the 55 mile plan but might go a bit longer depending on whether my old legs will take the punishment. Don't have a time in mind yet, will see how the summer races go first. I've entered the Marathon des Alpes-Maritimes in Nov...

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    karenives wrote (see)

err sorry, forgot to say,  I know you are all doing P&D plans so hope you dont mind me asking about a different one

I don't think anyone minds, just that we might not know! I've only done P&D but you might like it, because the 18-week version has (at least) the 5 long runs in but also lets you do them a bit quicker than some marathon plans suggest.

• Karen - I've used the RW plans before and never got sub 4. P&D use a mixture of marathon paced stuff and plenty long runs compared to the RW plan I think. I would recommend P&D especially if you are already doing 35-40 miles (or more) per week. See Lit's link above for the book which as she says is full of useful info on why you do the different runs.

Tiny - my HR monitor is never snug as I can't get it any tighter . I was thinking I might have to do surgery on it! I just make it sit under the band of my sports bra.

• For some reason couldn't finish that post .

Of course my last statement might not apply depending on gender ...

• karen - jib the other plans and join in ours.  The RW ones are ridiculously too fast for the long runs.  I can't see any gains to running at race pace the faster and more marathons you get.  I think for first, most people do (I did for mine) but as time has gone on, the faster I am trying to run my marathons, the less miles at pace I could manage without combusting.  I agree with Fiona, HRM way to go and I do think I will have to get mine fixed so I am not expecting too much from Chester pace wise.  I do think we get fixated on running X pace but sometimes, we just aren't ready.  Heart rate never lies. 

Tiny - my HM time pre my first marathon (Manchester 2012) was 1:45:17 and I did 4:06 at Manchester (epic fail with weather though) and like Lit says, I ran 26.2 miles in training, in the same time! My HM pre Chester last year was 1:44:17, I did a 3:54:37.   My HM time pre Manchester this weekend was 1:41:13 and I did 3:52:05 but that really was slower than I am capable of (without sounding a twat) as I had a really crap experience and it messed up final few miles.  I reckon had race gone to plan, would have pipped sub 3:50 just.  So, you are more than capable of a sub 4 if you train well and don't start too fast. 

• Hi, would love to join you once I've cleared my plans for Chester with the wife.  Did Stratford on Sunday after P&D up to 55 mile 12 weeker, after which she hopefully asked if I was retiring from running marathons.  Aiming to use the 18 week plan this time round, and goal is to go under 3:20 (well - dream goal would be to go under 3:15 but when I set out to do 3.15 at Abingdon in 2011 it all went HeOw's way ie 'shit')

• Thank you I will take a proper gander at this one

• Thanks for the link literatin! I (randomly) assumed 'P'&'D' stood for Pace & Distance....whoops! 

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Fiona can I ask what your current HM pb is especially as you acheived the time I am hoping for.

My current HM pb is 1:47 despite it being a pb it was a bit of a shit run, and I laboured over the last couple of miles. Really need to focus on sorting my pacing out as that is where I seriously f**k up. Am hoping that with P&D as you have some runs at race pace that may sort it out - I must resist the urge to run 7:30 min miles as that can only be sustained for 10k image.

ladyfunrun definately buy the book really interesting read - thank god its a running forum otherwise people would think that I am a complete sad case image

• Lisa - my HM PB is 1:47:13 but that was August last year. I haven't run a half this year at all but I think it would have dropped further following the plan as everyone else's did. I shaved 30 secs off my 5k. I think with that sort of preplan PB a stub 4 goal is not unreasonable with the proper training.

• HeOw wrote (see)

Tiny - my HM time pre my first marathon (Manchester 2012) was 1:45:17 and I did 4:06 at Manchester (epic fail with weather though) and like Lit says, I ran 26.2 miles in training, in the same time! My HM pre Chester last year was 1:44:17, I did a 3:54:37.   My HM time pre Manchester this weekend was 1:41:13 and I did 3:52:05 but that really was slower than I am capable of (without sounding a twat) as I had a really crap experience and it messed up final few miles.  I reckon had race gone to plan, would have pipped sub 3:50 just.  So, you are more than capable of a sub 4 if you train well and don't start too fast. 

Thanks for that HeOw. No, you didn't sound like a twat! You've instilled a bit of hope in me that I'm not being overly ambitious with a 3:59 target.  I know it's going to require a lot of hard work though.

Fiona - good tip about the sports bra, will try that.

Literatin - no knickers?! Floozy image

Lisa - it sounds as though we may be at a similar pace. Are you going for the 'upto 55' plan or '55-70'?

• Hi all, can I join in? After reading your comments on P&D I'm sold. Ordered the book, just waiting for it to arrive. I'm doing Chester in Oct and would love to get that sub 4 which I missed at VLM. 

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

I used RW to get me a 3.13 at Chester 2012 and used P&D to sneak under the 3hrs at VLM - I didnt follow either of them vebatim but did put a bit more effort and consistency into the P&D.

You need at least 5 x 20 runs in marathon prep (or your 5 longest runs should add up to 100 miles) and they must be done sloooooow.(but with maybe a couple of PMP miles chucked in toward the end)

HeOw - Am toying with Chester or Snowdon - Maybe for fun and maybe as an unofficial pacer depending upon how training goes.

Seems that theres a lot of people on here with very similar aspirations.image

• Right found you. 

I am an advocate of P & D,  I followed their 18 week up to 55 mile schedule for VLM,  I haven't booked an autumn marathon but I do have a new copy of their Road Racing for Serious Runners , I can swear when really riled, am I allowed to post on here?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Wow - you're all here!

I too am an advocate of P&D, have followed the P&D 18/70 schedule twice and has worked for me. Saying that I am in two minds whether to follow for Chester in the autumn...quite like to trim the mileage but keep the key stuff (long, tempo, less so the intervals).

Anyone new planning on following these need to start builiding up their base mileage from now till June before starting.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Wait for me.....

JF50 wrote (see)

Right found you. 

I am an advocate of P & D,  I followed their 18 week up to 55 mile schedule for VLM,  I haven't booked an autumn marathon but I do have a new copy of their Road Racing for Serious Runners , I can swear when really riled, am I allowed to post on here?

Do they really have another book, before I search Amazon - if not, why has no one told me?!!

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Tiny - 

Did my first marathon in 3.59 with a half PB of 1.53, limited/vague training

Did my second marathon in 3.39 with a half PB of 1.47, following the P+D 55 plan, but didn't follow it to the letter or the law and substituted most of the recovery runs for x-training or fell walking.

So....my point is, Tiny - you will smash a sub 4, especially if you follow P+D religiously. And, if it reassures you further, I found my first marathon 'easy' as the pace is slower than a half. OK, you have to go twice as far, but I found going further, slower easier. 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Shazmo - yes they have another book for 5k to marathons...has a lot of the same info in it as Advanced Marathoning but has schedules for all distances covered which are less specific - just gives you what you need to achieve per week, does not set out a daily schedule (well, doesn't in my copy).

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Excellent - something to spend the redundancy money on. Wonder if they do a P+D book for fell runningimage 

• Shazmo wrote (see)

Excellent - something to spend the redundancy money on. Wonder if they do a P+D book for fell runningimage 

They include some notes on xcountry.  I got it yesterday, about £8 or something so hopefully not too much out of the redundancy.  Sorry to hear about that, hope you find something good quickly.

• Hi, I would like to join you as well - looks like it could be fun! I am going to run the Edinburgh marathon in a few weeks and then plan to do P+D 55-70 plan for Chester in October. Desperately want to get sub 3.15 and really think I can get there with some focus.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello DM8 - have you followed a plan for Edinburgh, what is your goal for that race? What is your current marathon and half marathon PB?