Back of left heel pain

First off, I'm a totally new runner. I just started running two months ago, first week of March, and recently completed the C25K program. I'm male, 32, 115 lbs, 5'1" (yes, I'm Asian and fairly petite), and am training for my first 5K run on May 18th, about 2 1/2 weeks from now. I run 3X a week and do cross-training once a week, twice if I'm not lazy. I've been really careful not to get injured, but last Friday, after my 3.1 mile run on the treadmill, I went hard on the elliptical. My target heart rate is normally 148 on it, but I increased it to 160. After my usual 30 minutes work out on it, my legs felt a little sore. The next morning, the back of my left heel started nagging me. After this, I'm a little scared of the elliptical. I haven't used it since that night. It doesn't hurt much, but when I jog/run, it's throbs slightly, but not enough that I need to stop training. I thought the pain would go away, but just tonight, I couldn't even finish my 3.1 mile jog. I stopped at 2.5 miles and had to walk for 2 minutes, then finally jogged the rest.

What should I do? Advice would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to have to skip my first 5K due to the nagging pain. 

Comments

• YKWYKW ✭✭✭

Hello I was in a similar situation - whereby the week before my first 5k I was really struggling to even complete a 1 mile run.

I would recommend that you take it easy a bit - maybe even lose a session - and lower the intensity - but still do your 5k.

You got injured by pushing yourself - the jump from 148 to 160 was seemingly too much

Also if you are doing 30 min running and then 30 min elipical (or other) why not just stick to running for a few weeks until after your 5k?

• djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

It might be worth a visit to a sports physio. I suffer from something similiar (plantar fasciitis and achilles tendinosis) and after advice, I'm now treating/controling  with an effective stretching regime.