Autumn Marathon?

Hello,I am looking for a marathon in the UK or Europe in Sept-Nov that is flat / fast, has pacemakers (for 3h30), and is well organised - (drink / food stations etc). Any ideas? I have looked at Amsterdam, Venice and Odense, anyone got some good ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

I can recommend Amsterdam. The marathon is well organised if a little dull in places but you do get the benefit of spending time in one of the best cities in Europe (IMO).

If you just want a fast flat course you could consider Frankfurt. Not sure the 'sightseeing' is up to much though.

I've heard good things about Valencia too. Has a 3.30 pacer as do the aove.

The obvious choice would be Berlin but that's sold out. As has Abingdon which is a good fast UK course in Autumn.

• Thanks very much Johnas, yeah Frankfurt does sound appealing. I'm not too fussed about how interesting the course is, I did Barcelona this year and couldn't remember anything I ran past.

Are there any marathons in the UK which fit the above description? Abingdon sounds the best but it is already full

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

There are usually plenty of places being resold for Abingdon in late summer / early autumn. No pacemakers, but is a flat fast course. No pacemakers so you would need to pace yourself or latch on to a group. I also did Leicester last Autumn. This was slightly more undulating with a bit of a downhill at the start, and uphill coming into the finish. Again fast course but no pacers. Neither of them spectacular in a scenic sense.

Dam, now I'm thinking about Amsterdam.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

theraceneverends - if you do decide to do Frankfurt, I'll see you there. There's a few RW folk making the journey over.

Likewise Also-Ran - I'll be in 'Dam for my 5th consecutive year this year although, I'll just be doing the Half Marathon as Frankfurt is the following weekend. Cheap flights, cheap accommodation, great weekend away.

• HellywobsHellywobs ✭✭✭

Frankfurt's underrated as a city - there's quite a lot to do in the city and around the are - for example the Rhine Valley is only a short train ride away.  Cologne is also in October - I did the half in 2011 and it's a well organised event and a great city to spend a few days in - and it's right on the Rhine and just up from the really scenic bit.

If I were choosing an autumn marathon in the UK I think it would have to be Chester (Loch Ness would also appeal and there are Jersey and Guernsey as well)

• musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭

as already mentioned, Amsterdam is well organised and one of the fastest courses in Europe. Flat and not too crowded and has pacemeakers as follows

The target times for the marathon are as follows:
    3.15, 3.30, 3.45, 4.00, 4.15 and 4.30 hours

and for the Mizuno Half Marathon:
    1.35, 1.40, 1.45, 1.50, 1.55 and 2.00 hours

Have done it twice and the half 5 times

• I'm running the Bucharest Marathon on October 6th.

Bucharest is flat, and I hear the event is well organised with good water/drinks stations etc.

The 2012 event was a success with around 7,000 runners.

Weather there is quite nice for October, average around 18c.  Plus Bucharest is cheap for hotels, food etc.

• Warsaw on 29 september

• Hi guys, does anyone know if there is a 3 hr pacer at Amsterdam?