P + D training for VLM 2013

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

We've got to stay here for AG! Also - as Lit says we could discuss the merits of the plan, what went right, what didn't etc., but I guess that could be done on the other thread...

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

I am hanging around for the AG results but am dipping my toe in the new thread, would be good to have the post mortem on the new thread to give other P & Ders the benefit of our experience. I am probably following a heavily curtailed P&D like 15 w over the summer.

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Personally, I think it's better to have any post-mortem in this thread for completeness image

Having said that, given that pretty much everyone is heading on to more P&D training, I think the results speak for themselves. 

Best marathon training program ever. Case Closed.

AG - hope your extended taper isn't making you stir crazy. Carb loading starts tomorrow!

• AgentGingerAgentGinger ✭✭✭

Wow, great race report Shazmo, particularly the unplanned cliffhanger and the awesome finish time.

I'm chuffed you're all sticking about to see how I get on in MK next Monday. Only 5 more days to go. Weather looks like it could slightly warmer than i'd like, but i'll just keep myself hydrated and douse myself with water at each station if i feel i'm overheating.

The guy from MK marathon emailed me yesterday to say they'd already sent off my race pack on Monday, after I signed up on Sunday night, so I feel assured i'll get it in time. I booked train tickets last night too. After throwing the best part of £200 away on return train tickets to Manc and back for Mrs AG and me (plus a non refundable hotel ticket) i was relieved to find the day return to Bletchley was £14, and i'll be back in time for a bank hol afternoon pint with the friend whose time of 3:57:06 i'm hoping to beat.

felt a bit bloated after the weekend because i think i went a bit overboard on the carb loading, then obviously didn't run it off. But feel back to normal now, i'll just carb it up again from Friday onwards.

I live 5mi from work, so I had a steady, moderately hard, but comfortable run home last night, and a very easy jog in this morning. Will probably have a really easy jog again tomorrow and Saturday, otherwise, just resting up. This feels like the longest week ever.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Dont' skip the salt/electrolytes in the days leading up to the race and on race day as you will probably be losing quite a bit in sweat on Monday.

Could you not get a refund on the train tickets?

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Good luck Ginger! It must be torture waiting for the days to pass....

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

You might want to consider a cap to wear too - and/or plenty of sun block...

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

AG, good luck - as 15W says remember to eat some salty stuff in the build-up as there were a lot of people cramping up in the heat during VLM (including me) and also a few numpties who forgot the sunscreen and got burnt (including me).

With the other P&D book, "Road Racing for Serious Runners", has anyone got an electronic copy?  I had "Advanced Marathoning" via Kindle, but amazon don't do this for the other book, so wondering if theres an alternative source.

• AgentGingerAgentGinger ✭✭✭

Advance tickets are non refundable, as i discovered to my chagrin on Saturday. You can edit the dates, which involves booking new tickets, and getting the cost of the old ones back, minus £10 per person per direction "admin fee" but I have no plans to go up to Manchester in the next 3 months.

I'm going to see if I can claim on my travel insurance, but not sure if it'll be worth the bother. Anyway, it's only money.

More importantly, i'm trying to maintain the confidence that I had up until Saturday that I could break 4 hours, and even beat my friend's time; an arbitrary target that I set myself back at the start of this campaign, but that had become more realistic as the training went on. Now I find doubts creeping in. I know logically that a week's extra taper in the scheme of things is going to have minimal impact. Certainly less impact than the 1000+ miles i've run in the last six months. Nevertheless, I hear the bad angel on my shoulder, whispering doubts into my ear.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Taper Madness AG - ignore that bad angel. Just stick to your pace from the start and be prepared to tire dramatically in last 6 miles (or longer)....this is where you have to dig real deep and try your hardest to stick to that pace. Pain is temporary etc etc. Does MK have pacers you can follow?

• Good luck AG. Will give thoughts to post mortem (sounds gruesome).

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

This mesocycle 5 is hard - I want to run more now!

• Did my first real track session last night 15W. Didn't really fit with meosycle 5, but hey ho! 15 x 300m reps with 90 sec revoveries. It was hard going at the end I've got to be honest. Might just stick with the recovery! ha.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Yeah, mesocycle 5 is boring. Good thing I've got two races next week.

Also my club run tonight might prove to be a bit further and faster than the programme suggests, and it's a beautiful day for a nice long run...

• maybe we can start a rehab thread in a few weeks after the lack of recovery finishes us off?!

• stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

Glad to hear its not just me thats struggling with short, easy runs.  The first one was at a really slow pace as the legs still felt a bit stiff and tired, but the last couple I've found myself running at tempo pace for at least one mile.

I'm itching to do some speedwork, so I'm going to start an 8-week 10k plan next week & even looking forward to the intervals (although nowhere near 13 of them!?!).

• AG - it must be torture hanging on for another week.  I think you will be well on target to achieve your goal.  You have been comfortably running the sessions a bit faster than me for most of the plan so I can't see why you would not be able to meet your goal on the day.  I managed more than that the week after I ran VLM when my legs weren't likely to be in their best shape so with a nice rest you should be great. image

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

AG, I had those same doubts in the days leading up to my first marathon. I was aiming for a 4.15 but began to doubt I could even get round. No real reason, I just convinced myself I couldn't do it , but I did - with bells on. 

Like 15w says, stick to the plan and be prepared for a horrible ride in the last 6. That is where you have to keep reminding yourself of how proud you will feel if you have to fight hard for your dream. It sounds cheese own toast, but pain is only temporary, pride lasts forever. 

• Full recovery can take a bit of time and although your legs might feel fine, check your heart stats and use that as a pointer for how well recovered you are, can take anything up to a month to get back to normal heart training rates.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

One six mile run and another tonight. Might go to trsck tomorrow snd do delamere park run on Sat. Need to get s bit of speed up for Chester half sunday next.

• First run back tonight post marathon, 4 mile recovery, legs felt suprisngly well and my heart rate was right down, I have Chester next Sunday, wondering what runs to fit in before Chester.  

• Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭

AG this is the best bit, the carb loading, you will be fine you had a fast 10k not long ago, which indicates an easy sub 4 kick those doubts into touch !!

Chris I hit rehab without even running a marathon image

I managed a nice easy 8 today all feels good as long as I stay off of bumpy uneven roads 

• NN - glad to hear that things are getting better.

Craig - I haven't really any suggestions for your runs, but probably just a few easy ones.

I cant keep up with the new thread, I will stick my nose in again once the training starts..

Craig.... Chester half or full marathon ?image

Personally I find it takes me 4-5 weeks to fully recover from a marathon

• Sorry I have been absent, I have been in Ratners purchasing wedding rings for 15 and I. 

Fuck mesocycle 5, I have never followed a reverse taper.  I will be sprinting up hills next week and then probably racing Chester Half.  Seriously though, I won't.  I think the plan deserves the respect by following the last bit to the letter and those of you who don't, are not in this Cult and will be expelled.  

I am now off to look at other thread.  I cannot cope.  

• NN - Chester Half next Sunday, I have a place from a club mate.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

That'll teach you to go off and start new threads before the old ones have finished HeOw. And now it's full of people asking us questions like we're P&D gurus. Which we totally are, obviously.

I did end up sticking to the plan today, inadvertently, because I was three minutes late for my club run and couldn't see which way they'd gone. So I just did a sensible 5.25 mile run by myself. First mile was a bit faster than 'recovery' though, sprinting to try (and fail) to get to club run on time.

Craig what time did you do your last half in ?

Heow, I hardly have the time to keep up with this and the marathon thread, I couldnt believe how the new thread had moved so quic...plus  as lit says they are asking lots of questions..well heres me didnt even make it to the start, theres one question I could answer..." shall I try new go faster trainers ?" NO f***ING WELL DONT !!

• Last was Wilmslow 1:21:49, a bloody hard run with the wind that day and a couple of weeks earlier a 1:20:39 at Wrexham.

• Craig, the beauty you have re training is that you are new to this, you haven't been training for years and years so you are ripe to get a lot faster.  Plus if your Uncle(?) was running 2:20(?) marathons, there is something in the genes.

NN - I shall throw my tuppence in and run, albeit slowly, away from thread until I can function again properly!