The Lomas Distribution Buxton Half-Marathon

As race director I won't get to run this on the day but I ran the course with a club buddy on Sunday Morning.  I had forgotten just how tough it is but the views of Chrome Hill were spectacular!  Who's joining us this year?

Comments

• I'm hoping to, if I can wangle my training around to fit it in. I did Eyam last year and to compare Buxton!
  • Not done Eyam. Will ask around who has to see how they compare for you!
  • Cant seem to find the course route anywhere???
  • Here you go Sam, it's on our website in the race brochure but hopefully this link will take you to t. It's a great course, hope to see you there. http://www.buxtonac.org.uk/RaceBrochure2013.pdf
  • I've signed up having ran it last year, and have managed to convince another member of our club to sign up as part of her hill training for Trail Marathon Wales.  Just hope the weather is a bit kinder this year.

• The Egyptian Toe, finally found a couple of club members who have done both Eyam and Buxton.  One said that they are much of a muchness and the other said that Buxton is slightly tougher.  Only one way to find out!!

• racephotosracephotos ✭✭✭

Hi Sam, further to your request for a map and the link that Beverley has kindly sent to you.
    I drove around the course taking photos at various locations and I have added these to an Interactive Map, which can be viewed on my website:
    www.racephotos.org.uk
    I plan to be there on the day with a colleague taking photos and these will be uploaded onto my race photo website. I dont charge for downloads so hopefullly you be able to have souvenir photos of your achievements of the day for free.
    Have a good race.
    Kind regards.
    Bryan.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

i am in for this  yet again  love these hilly races    did Leeds half on sunday just gone in 1h 42   coming 780 out of 4517     got Eyam half this sunday   hope to beat 1h40     i think this and Buxton are the same in been hard and tough  but well worth it

• Thanks Bev.

Nice one Bryan - that map is a great asset. Can picture where it goes better now. I`ll see how my LDR goes this weekend and then think about an EOD at Buxton.

compo - if you did 1h42 at Leeds , you`ll be nearer 1h50 at Eyam imho.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

ET    my fastest at Eyam is  1h36   reason i was not fast at Leeds is i started right in the  middle and got my pace right then  got going  out of town    my fastest half marathon time is 1h28 at Leeds

• What was your time at Eyam compo?

Where are the hills in this race? I know there`s a fair old up to start, then what?! Might be able to do it.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

ET    1h54  i got   i took it steady as my leg was aching   ran the whole way    Buxton hills   first 3 miles  then a long decent then more uphills

• I did this race 2 years ago and really enjoyed it, but I like to go away over the BH weekend - excluding christmas/easter we get so few.

Would the organisers ever be willing to trial it out on one side of the weekend (2nd to last in May or first in June) one year?

Sure I can't be the only one?

• Well I am in with a couple of my Sandbach Striders buddies that I have convinced to run it by telling them its an easy course image 

done the Brathay marathon Sunday and that was hilly struggled at the Uttoxeter half but I expect Buxton to be prettier. 

Can you confirm that there is still enteries on the day.. .?

• image Oh heck the date's changed I thought this was on june?

Paul I've entered on the day a few time in previous years and believe you can still do it. If your going to go down that route just make sure you get there early just in case.  

• @ paul nicholls 3 - yes on the day entries are still available from 8.00am.

@ cake - the race was in June last year but is traditionally on the bank holiday, it got changed last year for various reasons.

@ Kevin 1 - the weekend before clashes with the White Peak Half and Full Marathon as well as the Eyam Half Marathon.  Not sure about the weekend after but I can ask around if there isn't any particular reason why we couldn't do it then and enough interest was shown it is something that we consider...

• Last year the Bank Holiday was moved to June due to the Jubilee....as an outsider I like the fact that the run is on the BH Sunday as I can relax/celebrate/rehydrate on the Sunday knowing that I'm off work on the Monday.  Also, despite the fact that I spend most weekends in the Buxton area between April & November, I would have trouble convincing my OH to let me spend a large portion of a 2 day weekend on running a HM...but its easier on a Bank Holiday Sunday.

@cake....are you running this again this year?

• Probably been poorly lately and trying to see if I can get race fit in time for Outlaw tri this year. If I can get in the miles on the bike without my legs failing off in the next few days will be there. You might even se me with my bike getting there so will be easy to spot as the one knackered before the race even starts. image

• Beverley - thanks for considering it. Yes I should know Eyam was weekend before as I did it myself!. Guess no date would please everyone but would be great if you see see if there's a consensus one way or another and maybe trial it out to see if it makes any significant difference in entries.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

looking forward to this and the hillsimage

• Must admit i'm tempted to enter this but have a 25 mile training run on Friday and not sure what state my legs will be in come Sunday.

• Thanks for the info on the race on your website Bryan, http://racephotos,org.uk  I am going to give this one a go.  A bit vain me, I like my free souvenir photoimage . I have given up on chasing PBs on flat, soulless courses. Everyone is eye balls out, no time for supporting one another.  Hopefully on Sunday there will be camaraderie, mutual respect and time for me to share my jelly babies.
    Also I am looking forward to finishing the race in the Pavilion Gardens, I have fond memories of visiting it regularly as a child with my parents.
    Have a good one everyone, lets hope the sun shines. 

• racephotosracephotos ✭✭✭

Hi Paul, I look forward to seeing you on Sunday.  I have Chairman Michael helping with the photos, his support is very much appreciated.
    I am glad you liked the Interactive Map Egyptian Toe and found it helpful.
    Hi Pink Lady, it will be nice to see you again too. I can do wonders with an airbrush, he-he, only teasing, you always look great.
    The first 3 miles of this race is a steady climb, which perhaps is a blessing in disguise because it stops you going off too fast. The next 4 miles is a steady descent to Glutton Bribge, really nice running, very picturesque.  Then at 7 miles there is another ascent. Once you get to Harpur Hill at about 10.5 mile it is very good running to the finish.  Go for it.
    Have a good one everyone, I look forward to seeing on the day and I have booked good weather image

http://racephotos.org.uk

• Very tempted if there is entry on the day, almost recovered from Eyam and really enjoyed that.. calves are saying "maybe" at the moment.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

can not wait for this

• Daeve - yes you can enter on the day.  Race HQ open from 8.00am in the Pavilion Gardens.  Gonna be a great day image

• If I can persuade my other half to eneter then we will be there. Can someone give me a postcode of where to come as I've not been before.

Thanks

Karl

• Karl, the postcode is SK17 6BE.  Race HQ is in the Pavilion Gardens, upstairs in the boardroom just before the toilets.  Hope to see you and the Mrs there!

• Thanks Beverley,, I'm working on her image

• I'm really looking forward to sunday! i ran the very tough Oldham Milltown to Moors half marathon in 1.22.58 back in October and i've a feeling this will be even tougher! i will have my family cheering me over the line at the pavillion gardens if i make it that far!!