ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Just called VLM and they have confirmed that Sub 3:20 will get me in. image

All I have to do now...............................image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Disappointed to hear you weren't able to get in to the ballet Malcs. Is running for a charity out of the equation? Nothing against charity, but the times I've ran London for charity I've spent more time trying to raise the money than actual training for the race.

Nice typo - "ballet" I would have no problem with, I have ideal legs for it image

I had a charity place in 2009 and then my friend's son fell ill the year later and although all charites are worthy causes I couldn't possibly run for anyone else now. 

I'm not too gutted. I got in via the ballot in 2011 and 2012 so I think I've had my fair share of luck with London entry. At least I won't be sitting nervously by the letterbox in October now image

Impressed with your dedication Reg - I didn't know it opened at midnight. I would have been there at 9am at the earliest. 

Well done to everyone who was organised enough to throw their hat in the ring.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

DS2 - that's fantastic!

Not so bad news for me either I only have 8 years to work towards sub 3:20. I just need my improvement to increase at a greater rate than my body is decaying LOL image

• Hey just back from hospoital off to school But I got in the ballot! mind you at 00.20 this morning I bloody well should do!!  Back later x

• Blimey G&W Tigger that's earlier than me!

On a separate note I wonder whether the moderator of this thread needs to be aware that I no longer run in Asics. Bought some new speedy shoes. Am I going to be forced to a new group?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Last long run out of the way this morning - two days late. Went out in a vest at 6:15am - a little cold for the first mile or so but thereafter lovely on top of the downs (once I'd climbed for 4 miles).

First run since 25th so felt quite fresh and ran a bit too hard really. 17.25 miles at 7:43mm with 7 in the middle at inside 7:30 pace.

Feel pretty good. I think this achieving GFA is going to be mostly mental. I'm glad I have someone to run with now. As Malcs and Ady have said it really makes a difference. 12 days to go.

How is everyone else doing? All back at the coal face?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Tigger - well done on getting in the ballot. I really hope you all make it through. It should be weighted based on how late you stayed up image

Reg - you're a gonner mate. Once word gets out you've jumped brands your name will be mud. Get down to your running shop and change them immediately. 

PS. I now use Saucony image

DS2 - wow, nice pace! Now it's freakin' 12 days to go so stop running so damn far so damn fast! Make a mental note that you can in fact run more than a few yards at a stagger and write it down so that you can show yourself when you lose your marbles in the last week. From now on it's easy stuff only. Doctors orders. Or I'm sending Reg round!

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

Sorry for my absence. I have a drs paper! image

I was mega organised n set my alarm extra early yesterday morning, so I too am in the DS2 birthday ballot!

I've been running a few times now with people from the club, they are a lovely group. I think I am going to get dragged into lots of fun events! Minni is right, it looks a lot scarier from the outside.

• Afternoon everyone,

sorry for absence over weekend but spent it all standing on cold windy playing fields watching respective sons play rugby and football...Lost the feeling in my fingers so couldn't even play on my iphone.

Got a place in the ballot for VLM- entered at 6am as soon as I got up. My wife was suspicious that I leapt out of bed to grab the phone!

after the disappointment of York, think I am going to enter Cologne on October 6- as you  run by the Ouse I'll be by the Rhein. Can get flights from UK for about £80 so overall wouldn't cost me much more than if I say went to Abingdon? Anyone care to join me?

DS- you are grinding out the miles at that pace! Sure the GFA will be achievable. Would be great to run for your birthday next year.

Sneaked out for a quick 5 miler this morning before a meeting- it was video conferenced so when I got back got lots of abuse about looking bright red in the face!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I don't talk to anybody not wearing Asics!!!!!!!image

I know what you are saying though Malcs - it's like I have to keep proving to myself I can run!

That 17 miles worked out only 6 secs/mile slower than the pace I need to run at to get my GFA - what an idiot!!!image

• Reg - you're a gonner mate. Once word gets out you've jumped brands your name will be mud. Get down to your running shop and change them immediately. 

PS. I now use Saucony image

DS2 - wow, nice pace! Now it's freakin' 12 days to go so stop running so damn far so damn fast! Make a mental note that you can in fact run more than a few yards at a stagger and write it down so that you can show yourself when you lose your marbles in the last week. From now on it's easy stuff only. Doctors orders. Or I'm sending Reg round!

Me to Malcs, gone and bought some Kinvara which apparently make me a faster runner, leaner and meaner!!! Well thats how I imagine myself.

DS2 - Malcs is right, I will be round and sit on you or make you run at my pace if you do too much.  #TaperInforcement . If only I used twitter like this!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Sorry to miss your comments Clive. I compiled that before I went to lunch and hadn't submitted!

Mrs DS2 not too happy about me doing Abo on her birthday weekend so may think of an alternative Clive. I wouldn't mind keeping the cost down either. Eldest daughter likely to be wanting a car at that point! I'm surprised at that cost. I will take a look but would be great to catch up out there, having never visited Germany!

Your comment about your wife made me laugh. I did the same!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Me to Reg - I have heard good things about them. I'm in the Mirage - bought 3 pairs on the cheap. Up to getting them I had all sorts of achilles pain - now zero.

You do know that if you ALL get into London then I'll have to run sub 3:15 in York! image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

It has to be done malcs! Having knocked 26 minutes off your PB two weeks ago then another 17 should be a doddle!!!!

• I agree with DS2 Malcs..........I expect you to be closer to 3 hours than 3:30 by the time York is over with! 

All this talk of non-Asics trainers has got me jealous! I wouldn't mind testing out a pair of those Adidas Boosts. Unfortunately I have 2 pairs that still have a few miles left in them before I can look at buying a new pair. Half my toes nails are balck and blue now after Paris and someone said to me that this is quite common for an Asics shoe to happen. I'm not sure how much truth there is in htis comment. I haven't come across anyone else yet with such a problem.

DS2.......that was an impressive run. Must have been a confidence booster. I'd like to do  one last long run 16 days before I do Comrades, but I'm scared it's too close. I might do it but take it much easier.

Clive.....Normally I'd definitely be up for an autumn Marathon somewhere in Europe, but sadly Mrs. Shady has a very valid reason for me not too. It might do me some good having the break to be honest so I can focus on some speed and strength training.

Jen.......glad everything is working out well for you with the running club. I was looking at the closest one to me, but they look very serious. I was looking at their records and th guy who holds their 3000m and 5000m records is a guy I work with. He's never mentioned his past athletic fame once!

Reg/ Tigger........if London Marathon went by who was best organised.......you'd be already on the starting line just behind the elites! 

• Hi Malcs, glad you enjoyed your run on sunday and felt comfortable at that pace. Sunday wasnt too bad as I was talking faster than I was running so it took my mind off it!!

How did your run go today? I decided to do that 10k race tonight but decided to run it with how I felt...I must have felt good as I got a new 10k PB of 42:06 on a hilly course.

I feel almost back to normal. I managed to touch my toes for the first time yesterday but I have a feeling that im not going to be able to manage it again tonight.

Im trying to concentrate on speed over the next two months before starting training for York at the start of july (I had worked it out as 16 weeks if I start on the 1st of july but im going to double check that this is right now). I will try to keep myself ticking over at 13-15 miles for my long runs so I can do my first 18 miler in my second week of marathon training and a 20 miler in the third or fourth week. My next race is the last 5 miler South Yorkshire championship race next wed, I then have shef half a week on sunday. Im trying to have easy runs inbetween just to keep myself ticking over.

Whens your next race?

• Malcs wrote (see)

Reg, I completely forgot - been busy all morning. Bit disappointed but then again having run quieter races I think I prefer them. That said there is nothing like London.

Amazing how quickly ballot places go now. In 2009 I entered a good two months after it opened. Two years ago it was full in 3 days, last year was 1 day and now a few hours. Who are all these nutcases? image

Haha...I entered Chris....he did actually hint that he wanted to do it though. After running it for the last two years I actually didnt fancy it again, I would like to run somewhere else instead, if im allowed.

• DS2 wrote (see)

I'm in - but it seems I have an extra 5 minutes for GFA qualification so hopefully that will be all I need!!!

Just trying to get someone at VLM to confirm it is based on age on race day. Apparently it always has been - lets hope I get lucky!

DS2 wrote (see)

Just called VLM and they have confirmed that Sub 3:20 will get me in. image

All I have to do now...............................image

Thats fantastic news......you will do it im sure

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Sarah - you are going to miss my birthday bash!!!

amazing running. You are flying. That 3:14 PB of your Dad's is there for the taking!

• Reginald wrote (see)

Ady - Set the alarm for 12:05am is that sad?

I thought that exactly, I ran for Scope two years ago and was more stressed about raising funds than the training.  If I don't get into London I definately want to do another marathon next Spring so will be on the lookout for options. Paris?

Reginald wrote (see)

Blimey G&W Tigger that's earlier than me!

On a separate note I wonder whether the moderator of this thread needs to be aware that I no longer run in Asics. Bought some new speedy shoes. Am I going to be forced to a new group?

I cant believe that charities ask you to raise so much, to me it seems impossible to raise the money that they ask for and train. I did see one chairty saying that you only need to raise £350 for them in the York marathon, which sounds much more reasonable....just wondering now if it was a typo!

Shhhh ive only tried to run in asics for two weeks 2.5 years ago...trainers caused me nothing but trouble...wore nike ever since!

• Hi DS2....im hopefully going to be in the crowd drinking wine celebrating you running by and getting a new PB for your birthday (....and I also have a bit longer to apply for GFA.....if I change my mind)!!!

I hope your right...9 mins sounds like a hell of a lot to knock off in 6 months!

• jenf wrote (see)

Sorry for my absence. I have a drs paper! image

I was mega organised n set my alarm extra early yesterday morning, so I too am in the DS2 birthday ballot!

I've been running a few times now with people from the club, they are a lovely group. I think I am going to get dragged into lots of fun events! Minni is right, it looks a lot scarier from the outside.

Congrats on getting into the ballot.

I love running for a club, there are so many lovely people that you will meet at the club and in local races...I find it more enjoyable than going down to the pub now to see friends.

• Clive Kelty wrote (see)

Afternoon everyone,

sorry for absence over weekend but spent it all standing on cold windy playing fields watching respective sons play rugby and football...Lost the feeling in my fingers so couldn't even play on my iphone.

Got a place in the ballot for VLM- entered at 6am as soon as I got up. My wife was suspicious that I leapt out of bed to grab the phone!

after the disappointment of York, think I am going to enter Cologne on October 6- as you  run by the Ouse I'll be by the Rhein. Can get flights from UK for about £80 so overall wouldn't cost me much more than if I say went to Abingdon? Anyone care to join me?

DS- you are grinding out the miles at that pace! Sure the GFA will be achievable. Would be great to run for your birthday next year.

Sneaked out for a quick 5 miler this morning before a meeting- it was video conferenced so when I got back got lots of abuse about looking bright red in the face!

Clive Kelty wrote (see)

Afternoon everyone,

If I wasnt running in York, I would be tempted as its always been a place where ive wanted to go.

I always look red after running...my brother use to kindly call me tomatoe head when I was a child!

• Hi Ady - I got three black toenails last year that fell off after 24 hours after wearing nike, but with little training. No black toes or toenails this year, again wearing nikeimage

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

No time, rush, rush, rush so apologies if I missed anyone.

Sarah - bloody hell, you are back to normal if you're running 10K PBs, well done!

I did get out yesterday for post marathon run no. 2. Felt a bit sluggish to start but fine by the end. Reckon I'll need this week to be fully back to normal. 

I don't have any races planned before TR24 but I would quite like to do a couple.

Ady / DS2 - not sure where all this confidence in me is coming from. Are you mixing me up with Sarah the pocket rocket Osborne?

I think the reason I got such a big PB is because I so badly under performed in the past. I would love to think 3:15 would be possible one day but York is unlikely to be the place where it happens. 

I have never had bruised toes, fallen off nails or even a blister in all my time running. I used Asics Nimbus shoes last year and aside from the achilles pain they were spot on. I also use Hilly Monoskin Padded socks which are brilliant and I'm sure contribute significantly to my lack of blisters.  

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Malcs - I'm impressed that you can balance on a nail in the first place, let alone fall off of them!image

Best way not to get blisters - never use vaseline. Allow feet to toughen naturally!!! I never get them and only shoes I really had issues with were Adidas! Found them too narrow and ended up with PF!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Forgot to say Malcs - I reckon 3:20 could be possible at York!

• DS2 wrote (see)

Malcs - I'm impressed that you can balance on a nail in the first place, let alone fall off of them!image

Best way not to get blisters - never use vaseline. Allow feet to toughen naturally!!! I never get them and only shoes I really had issues with were Adidas! Found them too narrow and ended up with PF!

What is PF? 

I have feet like Gandy so don't normally suffer with nails falling off or blisters.

Ady - I think you will find that Asics are coming up slightly shorter in the toe box. I definately found this with the Nimbus I have now.

Malcs - Best we all not make the pressure build for a 3:20 at York

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    DS2 wrote (see)

Ha ha - I am a man of many talents image

If I could shave 10 minutes off (no easy task) and get 3:20 something I would be ecstatic (again image)

Reg - yes stop talking about it immediately!

PF is Plantar Faciitis. Not nice.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

PF - never again. I am so careful now whenever my feet hurt. I could barely walk for weeks. it was so painful and took ages to recover.

Malcs - 30 secs per mile doesn't sound much!!! Considering how short your training plan turned out for this marathon it must be possible to get pretty close.