Recipes required

A bit boring this, but can anyone recommend any tasty ways to use up a savoy cabbage?  I have half of one left in the fridge and am a bit bored of stir fry now.....but don't want to waste it by throwing it away.

Obviously, this being a nutritious and healthy food, I figured someone on here may be able to assist with my dilemma. image

Comments

• Fry up some pancetta and garlic, then stir in sliced cabbage, once it has softned stir in cooked pasta... Rip up mozzarella over it, scatter with pine nuts and serve 

• Try this? Haven't tried it my self but love cabbage and lentils so worth a punt image Could try halving the ingredents to use your left over cabbage 

Savoy Cabbage with Lentils

The wrinkly leaves of savoy cabbage give this lentil dish a great texture. 6-8 servings

• 100 g (4 oz) orange lentils
    • 1&1/2 l (2&1/2 pt) vegetable stock
    • 1 onion, chopped
    • 1 clove garlic
    • minced 1 head savoy cabbage, shredded
    • 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
    • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
    • 1 teaspoon turmeric
    • pinch cayenne, or to taste
    • 1 can plum tomatoes
    • 1 tablespoon lemon juice

Bring the lentils and half of the vegetable stock to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a second pot, fry the onion, garlic, cabbage and spices for 5 minutes, then add the remaining stock and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juice, breaking the tomatoes up with a spoon, and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the lentils and lemon juice and simmer for a final 10 minutes. Serve with rice, cous cous or pitta bread.

• Ooooh yum - I'm hungry already!!  Thanks peeps.

I have some chorizo in the fridge, so might try Mr Ex Spartan's recipe with a slight twist. 

Tea time in my house has never been this exciting.......... LOL (or as healthy, to be fair).

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Shred the cabbage and cut some smoky bacon up into strips. Fry the bacon in a wok in a little oil, then add a little more oil and stir-fry the cabbage. When it's cooked to your liking add a few tablespoons of sour cream or creme fraiche, mix in well and serve. This one works v well also with brussels.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Fry up some pancetta and garlic, then stir in sliced cabbage, once it has softned stir in cooked pasta... Rip up mozzarella over it, scatter with pine nuts and serve 

Liking that.  I'm going through a bit of a smoked paprika phase at the moment so I'd probably throw some of that in as well, although you'll get a similar effect using the chorizo.  image

• or miss out the meat and make it veggie ? 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I would make a delicious stew, e.g. beef bourguignon, and some mashed potatoes/celeriac, and then just shred and steam the cabbage as an accompaniment. The lovely bitter, fresh green flavour would go really well with the richness of everything else. Then the next day I would have loads of leftover mash and cabbage for bubble & squeak.

• Mix together some minced pork, chopped water chestnuts, garlic, chopped spring onions, chinese five spice, chopped chilli if you like, and make it into little parcels wrapped in Savoy cabbage leaves. Bung each parcel in the well of a muffin tin and bake, although it would prbably be better to do it properly and steam them.

Alternatively, cook it with some potatoes and have bubble and squeak tomorrow.

• This one's quite interesting that I made the other day from a veggie runner website:

For caraway you could substitute fennel. Don't liquidise the lemon peel bits!