Stockholm marathon 2013

Is anyone doing this ?? Or anyone done it before and have some tips ??! 

Comments

• Doing it! Don't know anyone personally who has done it previously.

• Ask on Stockholm City Triathlon club website. They have a chat section.

www.sct.nu

Very friendly bunch and should be able to help you out with your questions.

Good luck.

• Yeah I've only spoken to one person who has done it before, should be a great event though, I'm excited! How's your training going ?? 

Thanks for the link graham, I'll check it out ! 

• Training OK, I did Brighton 2 weeks ago so keeping things ticking over really. My first time doing 2 close together so not sure how it will go but planning to take it easy and enjoy the sights! How about you?

I am unsure of the 12:00 start and how that will affect me and the weather looks like it has varied quite a lot in the last 2 years! I'm sure it will be a beautiful race. Looking forward to getting my pack in the post!

• Thanks Graham! 
    Graham Hahn wrote (see)

Ask on Stockholm City Triathlon club website. They have a chat section.

www.sct.nu

Very friendly bunch and should be able to help you out with your questions.

Good luck.

• I did it last year for the first time, but have been out as a spectator for several years. The race isn´t exactly flat and is considered to be a bit on the tough side for being a city marathon. You have to run over a large bridge two times and there is also a ascent towards the finish. With the race being hold on a saturday afternoon in early june, crowdes are good though so except some support.

The route consist of a two lap course around the city, where the second is slightly longer and goes out on the island Djurgården. This means that you´re running this part of the race over fields and in some forest. A bit boring in my opinion, but some people likes this. The finish in the old Olympic stadium from 1912 is fantastic with a lot of people cheering you from the stands.

The expo is small and Asics, as the main sponsor, are the only exhibitior who are allowed to sell stuff! Running equipment in Sweden is ridicuosly overpriced so you probably wouldn´t be able to do any bargains anyway. You can pick up your bib on race day if you want to but you have a free pasta party if you go there friday afternoon-evening. It may be wort going there on friday as the expo can be quite crowded on race day when all the runners from outside Stockholm who go on a day trip arrives.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I´m happy to help. image

• Cool, sounds good, but maybe I'll get any plans for a pb out of my head then ! My last marathon was also very recent, paris three weeks ago and to be honest I'm finding it hard to get motivated again so think I will take this one easy and just enjoy it !! Thanks for the lowdown on the course SS !! I've been to Stockholm once but I was in the winter so very different climate wise !  

• You can see a map and a profile of the course here:

http://www.stockholmmarathon.se/start/content_popup.cfm?Sec_ID=438

The bridge (Västerbron) that you have to cross twice is clearly visible just before km 10 and 35 in the profile. As you can see there are some ups and downs on the route but I don´t think it is that hard anyway. There´s a lot to see along the route, as stated in the link above, and Stockholm is wonderful in the begining of June so I´m sure you will enjoy the race even if you don´t do a PB. 

Edit: Here is a good description of the course, along with some photos:

http://www.stockholmmarathon.se/start/content.cfm?Sec_ID=359&Rac_ID=172&Lan_ID=3

• I got my race pack in the post today which makes it feel more real! I think I'll be studying the map a lot over the next month. I'm actually glad it's not completely flat as I think that will make it more interesting. My main concerns are probably the weather and whether the hotel will have peanut butter!

I'm really looking forward to running my first race outside the UK as a comparison generally. I'm planning to go to the pasta party as it just makes life easier on the Friday night! Can non-runners also attend this? (and pay to eat)

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Evening all, just stumbled across this thread. I'm doing Stockholm this year - my first marathon! Got my race pack today, all seems a bit more real now...

What sort of time is everyone going for?

• Thanks for the links, it's nice to prepare myself mentally for the route !! This is my third  marathon, hoping for around 3:30 although my last two have been pretty flat courses so not sure how i'll get on and yep I am also concerned about the possible heat !! So I think I will just take it easy and enjoy it !

mm- every marathon I've done as been abroad so can't compare to the uk but the atmosphere has been amazing at the ones I've done, and it's a great way of seeing a beautiful city ! hoping to do London next year though !

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Just had another look at the course and the elevation profile. Hadn't thought about it before but the bridge section looks like it could be quite painful (twice). Was planning on making my longest long run an undulating/hilly 22 miler so hopefully this will come in useful on the day...

Hoping for 3.45 but anything under 4 hours I'll be delighted with as a first marathon attempt. Plan is to take it easy and try and enjoy it (and not spend the whole time looking at my Garmin).   

• The weather last year was terrible. It was my first marathon and I had bought a white shirt and a white cap if there would be bright sunshine.... It was 4 degrees, heavy rain and stormwinds. I used the same clothing I use when I run in the winter, Swedish winter that is.

If you don´t know it Stockholm marathon has an official song. Here you can hear it, and watch some clips from last years race (don´t worry, crowds are usually much bigger.):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCqn-aa_LeQ

The footage between app. 2.14 and 2.24 is from the bridge Västerbron btw.

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

I ran it last year too and the weather really was abysmal. but I still had a great time. there is a sharp incline to a bridge you have to face twice but the city is beautiful and a pleasure to run through. The finish in the stadium is just awesome and I cried with joy on that last stretch. The runners village has hotdogs and warm cakes. Lovely. I would run it again and would heartily recommend it.

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

The bridge section doesn't hurt. It's over before you know it.

• I love that there is a song! How fun. I keep seeing a lot about the bridge but it doesn't look any worse than the long incline from miles 5-7 in Brighton. Maybe the problem is having to do it again quite late in the race.

I like the sound of the hot dogs - also saw that they had gherkins at one of the stations, which is interesting.

I'll be happy with 4:30, although as this is my first time doing 2 marathons close to each other I'm not going to put any time pressure on myself and just see how it goes - I'm really doing this one just for fun and a good way to see a new city.

Has anyone found a supplier in the UK that does the Maxim sport drink? I've found a couple but then they end up being out of stock when I actually try to order it.

• Yeah me too I'm finding it incredibly difficult to train for another marathon so soon after my last ! Definitely won't be doing that again, wish I'd planned it better! Had a horrendous run this morning !

not heard of those sports drinks ?? I tend to stick to sis and high 5 myself 

• jumping in here, hope it's ok.

I can only agree with Stockholm Syndrome, I did Stockholm as my first marathon ever last year with the freak weather. Had it not been so horribly cold and wet it would have been absolutely fantastic. Tough course but amazing feeling finishing in the Olympic stadium. The dreaded bridge wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated even though you do have to go over it twice.

• Chubby Tortoise - were there any particular highlights of the course that you noticed through the rain? I've been looking at the guide by kilometre on the website and it all looks quite grand and pretty but difficult to tell which if any bits are more spectacular than others. The park section looks like it could be a little isolated.

I'm going to do my next two long runs at 12:00 including eating usual breakfast stuff 3 hours earlier and see how that feels. As an early morning runner, starting out at 12:00 is going feel very hard (and potentially warm).

• Minniemonster - I love running in parks generally, so that section will be fantastic providing the weather is good. A lot of the spectators will be there weather permitting. I agree that the midday start was rather late and I made a point of eating more at breakfast to have sufficient fuel to keep going. I ended up having 1.5 portion of porridge instead of my usual 1.

I also enjoyed running along the water, on strandvagen and then past the parliament building and old town. Gorgeous if the sun is out and glittering in the water...

I still think that the best part was the finish. Coming into the olympic stadium and seeing the finishing line AND get a medal! Despite shivering and being soooo cold, it was a fantastic feeling, I really hope you get decent weather, fingers crossed it won't be too cold or warm for you.

Hmmm.. writing about it makes me want to do it again, but when the weather is good image

• I ran this in 09. Please be wary with the weather. When I ran it was absolutely roasting. So don't take all our winter kit expecting it to be cold not always the case.

The race is very nice, typical city marathon. Nothing I can add about the race that hasn't already been said. Free beer and hotdogs at the finish were a real treat.

If you've never been before don't expect to celebrate in the pub afterwards this city has the most expensive alcohol I have ever experienced. If your looking for something to do outside the race visit the Vasa museum. Brilliant

• or the newly opened ABBA museum, not far away from Vasa image

• Yes, the bar prices are horrible in this country. Expect to pay between 5 and 8 pound for a pint. Mixed drinks are even worse. They are served with 4 or 6 cl of liquor and typically cost between 8 and 12 pound. However, prices are generally lower in the Södermalm/Söder (South) part of town, althought they aren´t exactly cheap there either.

• Be prepared for a challenge!

If anyone was there last year.. it was absolutely freezing and torrential rainfall most of the morning of the marathin race day! The wind chill was taking it to like minus 1 or 2.

I think someone explained the race design, its a great race for sure but the one thing im hoping for this year is better weather, a bit of sunshine would be brilliant and maybe a temperature around 10 woud be better!

Anyway, I have a dillemna. Does anyone know if there are any last minute places or if Stockholm Marathon to cancellations? I'm looking to try and get back into the Marathon in the next 2 weeks.. any tips or ideas?

• Unfortunately they don´t have any last minute places and don´t accept any name changes so you can´t get hold of a formal place at this stage as far as I know. But as they don´t do any ID check at the bib pickup some starting places will be availible anyway from people who is not going to run. This of course means that you are going to run in someone elses name.

Try this forum http://www.jogg.se/Forum/Kategori.aspx?catid=14

or this  http://www.funbeat.se/groups/overview.aspx?GroupID=1148

Good luck!

• Great to stumble on this thread, I can't wait 'ti the race now. Did it in 2011 and it was the best marathon (but then I am Swedish so perhaps a bit biased). The bridge is really short and loads of supporters there so don't worry about that. There's quite a lot offered to eat along the way though I would stay clear of the gherkins if they have them again image

Good luck to you allimage

• Was it warm in 2011 ? I've just checked the weather forecast- some says 19 degrees and the other says 22 !! And lots of sunshine, I'm scared ! I don't run we'll in the heat and especially as it starts at midday !

• I'm with you Sazzle23. I can't cope with heat either so don't have much experience running in it, especially at this distance. Just going to take it slow and enjoy the sights. 

• It was windy in 2011 and definitely on the chilly side. I remember it clearly as I was out as a spectator and was wearing my autumn coat - buttoned up... image

I just checked some Swedish forecasts and they are saying 17-18 degrees and partly cloudy on saturday afternoon, which sounds as good weather for running and still good enough to bring out the crowds.