P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Oh I know we all discussed something about this, probably about 50 pages a go on the original thread so perhaps I have the wrong runimage

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I think I said (after I had done it) that it was the most important run, and that anyone who had skipped it was doomed to failure.

• DM8 - you are probably at your peak for distance running - many runners do their best times in their forties.

I only started running at 49 and did my first marathon at 50 and my first sub 3 at 54 - you have plenty of time!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

GA are 10%slower than MP I think but he does say what they should be in the book.

I didnt run my first mara till i was just in my 40s and went sub 3 at the age of 43. I guess 3-4 years seems to be a good period of time to see decent improvement. Obviously something to do with endurance.

• One Gear - that is good to know. Wait until I tell my wife I am at my peak - I can hear her laughing already! Sub 3 at 54 is amazing....

• DM8 - your wife's response will probably be similar to mine when having done my first marathon at 50 in 3:12, I solemnly declared that I was now officially "Good For Age"

• For my next trick, I mean err, plan, I am going to run EVERYTHING at race pace.  Become a one pace pony. I shall call this plan "pace or bust".  Anyone in? 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Only if we can do it at 5k pace.

• Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭

JF50 wrote (see)

I ran the GA runs,  which Lit is right were mainly in the early part of the schedule, blind to an extent, just the pace my body wanted to run, they ended up being about the same as my MP-10%

Lit I think you bunked out of the 14miles at MP, said it wasn't important

literatin wrote (see)

I DID NOT! I ran it in a horrific headwind after spending 5 hours climbing ropes in a freezing cold gym when I was already limp and exhausted. Grr.

I may have skipped one of the LT runs cos I'd just done a half marathon.

NO SHE DID NOT !! 

In fact lit and I were actually the only ones who did that session properly, everyone else did their own version...from 12 @ MP to you JF50 who had to go one better and do 20/14..image

• I DID 20 with 14 too!  **gets prize for being mega twat**

I did it..in Kinvaras image   prize for bigger twat !!

Oh dont argue then image

• Thanks for the replies regarding GA pace. I think I'll stick to somewhere between LSR and recovery pace. A 9 mile GA run will then take me about 1.5 hours! I can see some 4.30am starts looming! image

Whose idea was this P&D training anyway?! image

• Al Runs idea ACP. I spread the word to a fair few peeps though.  Funny, they all ignore me now. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Acp, my edition of P&D actually doesn't recommend a specific pace for GA runs at all, just says it should be steady and 'moderate effort'. I think you should just run them at a pace that's enjoyable. For me, that would be pretty similar to LSR pace, which is marathon pace +10-20%.

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

I only did 16 w/12@MP, and that was hard enough, this time round I'm going to do more runs with some MP at the end, and more hill work, 

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Well I don't want to brag, but I did 22 miles, with all 22 at MP.....but it was kind of by accident image

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Crikey this thread moves on at a pace, probably related to how fast you all run!

Fiona good to hear that your HM time is similar to mine.

Shazmo bloody good improvement there and I would suggest that you HM time would also be a lot quicker now....so you can brag all you like image

Still ploughing through the book, slightly worried about the recommended high carb diet as I generally try and avoid high GI foods - and I haven't eaten pasta, white bread or sugary foods etc for nearly 2 years & get most of my carbs from vegetables and berries.

Looking forward to getting started, I love a plan to follow it brings out my twattish OCD tendancies image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Lisa, I don't eat a high carb diet either; I just didn't bother with that bit. Anyway I don't think P&D are the nutrition gurus as all they seem to say about it most of the time is 'like most runners you probably already have a high-carb diet'.

• HeOw wrote (see)

For my next trick, I mean err, plan, I am going to run EVERYTHING at race pace.  Become a one pace pony. I shall call this plan "pace or bust".  Anyone in? 

In the words of Duncan Bannatyne........."Ahm oooooot"

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Well....running uses a lot of energy, and we get most of our energy from carbs. It doesn't matter what sort've carbs, low or High or whatever...but I guess low GI is healthier?? I find when I get above 50 miles a week I increase my food intake because I'm always so hungry. Is porridge low GI? I have that every morning and that works well....and when I'm up to about 70 miles a week I have a few bowls of cereal/muesli during the day. I love it. Saying that, Lisa (and Fiona?) both had low carb diets and did ok, so maybe it's just what your body is used to. It is actually probably good to run some of your mid/long runs depleted of carbs so you get better at using fat for energy - we all have plenty of that apparently.

In other news I am thinking of tweaking the schedules so will be somewhere between the 55 and 70 plans...maybe add more tempo runs into the mix...

• Lisa123 wrote (see)

Looking forward to getting started, I love a plan to follow it brings out my twattish OCD tendancies image

Snap! And I just love crossing out a session after I've completed it. It's the little things in life image

• Glad it's not just me that likes the crossing out! image

I've been putting my training schedule for Chester together since January (!) and started it this week - only to come down with the nastiest, stinkiest cold ever and have now already missed one training run! Hope this isn't a sign of things to come! image

• Night Nurse wrote (see)
    JF50 wrote (see)

I ran the GA runs,  which Lit is right were mainly in the early part of the schedule, blind to an extent, just the pace my body wanted to run, they ended up being about the same as my MP-10%

Lit I think you bunked out of the 14miles at MP, said it wasn't important

literatin wrote (see)

I DID NOT! I ran it in a horrific headwind after spending 5 hours climbing ropes in a freezing cold gym when I was already limp and exhausted. Grr.

I may have skipped one of the LT runs cos I'd just done a half marathon.

NO SHE DID NOT !! 

In fact lit and I were actually the only ones who did that session properly, everyone else did their own version...from 12 @ MP to you JF50 who had to go one better and do 20/14..image

Great memory NN, I think I did it because I tweaked the plan to fit a half marathon race in, so missed the 14MP, needed to get another 20 miler in, so combined the two.  I can remember the run because the roads were so bloody awful with snow and ice and the weather was Siberian with a wind so icy I'm still thawing bits out todayimage  Love winter runningimage

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

ACP - maybe you should defer.

• I think that might be over-reacting slightly....!!!image But I'm not happy - I've missed my first 9M GA run - are my marathon plans now doomed to failure?!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

ACP - what plan you following and for which race? If it's Chester seems a bit early...

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

15West wrote (see)

ACP - maybe you should defer.

acp wrote (see)

I think that might be over-reacting slightly....!!!image But I'm not happy - I've missed my first 9M GA run - are my marathon plans now doomed to failure?!

That's just 15 trying to be funnyimage  Which he does with mixed results btw image

• Don't worry Shazmo, I 'know' 15W from other forums! He pops up all over the place. I even spotted him in person at Chester last year! image

15W - I'm following the P&D 55 mile schedule but my plan was to do the first 4 weeks twice to kind of give me an insurance policy against falling ill (ha,ha!) or getting injured. Then I've also got a week off halfway through because I'll be sunning myself (hopefully!) in Italy and didn't want the pressure of sticking to the plan even though I hope to do some running out there. Pretty much my whole year so far has been geared towards training for Chester so if I don't achieve my 'soft' target of getting under 4:30 I'm never doing another marathon again! You heard it here first! image