FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

Comments

• Great to hear from you Puffy. You are pretty damn consistent and we all get off days eh?

I didn't like the noise last time especially when they bang those big balloon things together. Its fine for the first few miles but after that ....

I have a rotton cold too ... manflu.. 

got to say though, just watching it on tv on sunday morning made me want to give it another go even though last time i said it would be my last.

I am going to try and get into the first Yorkshire marathon on 20th October - its full but they are releasing some places on Friday

• Puffy - sorry you had a poor run, but you know we all get 'em now and again.......shame we didn't get that pint in the Sherlock as well.

I'll do the ballot for next year, but I really want to have a stab at a PB (poss last chance at my age), and I think Brighton might be a better bet for that and have already entered next year. As this is he week before VLM might be awkward. Of course, I can hedge my bets and go for the one with the kindest weather image

I could also potentially double up again. At 15m yesterday I would have said no way, but looking back I wouldn't have missed yesterday for the world. As Puffy says he atmosphere was simply sensational. Biggest, noisiest crowds I've ever seen - Londoners should be really proud.

Hope the man flu clears up chaps.....must be awful !
  • eh up folks! mind if I join you?

I've been around the 4:30 thread for several years, though it took me about 4 years chatting there before I actually beat 4:30. Got down to 4:13 in October '11; only did one marathon last year, VLM in 4:28. On a good flat day I'm sub 1:50 for a half, 2:54 for 20.

Hoping to do a marathon on 20th October this year, either Palma or Barcelona... and would love to do 3:45 or so.

Cheers,

Jimboimage

• Hi Jimbo, welcome on board.......been a bit quiet on here lately but we're all going to make an effort to pop in more often ! Looks like you're heading in the right direction.......2.54 for 20 should leave you able to get under 4 for sure (although we all know 20m is the real half way). So many factors need to be right to have a good run.....

Lots of experience in the lot on here - good and bad ! Feel free to ask what you want, most of us are full of BS but we'll offer opinions anyway !
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Well we'll have to carry on now won't we image  Hello Jim!

• it took me 15 years to match my original PB of 4:57 (1995, matched it in 2010 and 2011) though in 2010 I managed 4:43, then in 2011 did 4:57 in VLM, then 4:19, 4:47 and 4:13 in the space of 8 weeks!

this year I've lost another 1/2 stone (one more to go...!) and have taken 3 mins off my 10k time (now 46:47) so hopefully can extend that on longer runs... also PBs this year in 30k and 20 miles, so a good start...

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Sounds good Jim,  pretty consistent.

I like the idea of the Brighton Marathon OG, I really do like the place, and it would be a great weekend away.  I think I will   enter Chester now, i've gota really good base, I don't think I buried myself on Sunday, so a summer of off roading should see me right in October.

• so, after London / Brighton / Manchester etc., what're people's aims?

I'm running the Scunthorpe 1/2 on Sunday, aiming to get close or beat my 18 year old PB (set when I was just 19, first year at Uni) which I think is 1:47:00 (we didn't have chips in those days!).

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I will be going to the local parkrun, then on 12th May I have 33 mile trail race across Cheshire from South to North then a 5k in June that I missed last year.

• still no parkruns in Lincoln ;-(

my summer will mostly be long runs interspersed with some 5k and 10k races and a couple of 10 milers... if I enter!

• Hi Jim - Three Forts 27 miler on May 5th, London to Brighton 60 miler May 25th for me (eek)....after that I might just quit running altogether (or do the marathons I've entered in September and October, possibly image

Good luck in Scunthorpe. Only been there once, 5 houir drive each way for a day in  the offce we had on some industrial estate, so can't remember a lot about it........

• Welcome Jimbo

Just managed to get a place on the First Yorkshire Marathon on 22 October so I better pull my finger out and plan some 10Ks and halfs in over the next few months

Looking forward to getting some consistency and plan for my running
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Will you be wearing your suit OM?  

Mice got a small hangover this morning I'll soon get rid of that at park run then I will recce part of the sandstone trail route 

• OM, isn't the Yorkshire Marathon on 20th October, the Sunday?

Anyways, finally laid my half marathon PB to rest. It was 18 years old and well-past its usefulness. Got a shiny new one now, which is more than 2 mins quicker, and now have the most amazingly massive smile on my face! Chip time 1:44:51!!!!

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Good one Jim.

just entered the ballot for next yearimage

• Nice one Jim - must be very satisying image

VLM ballot entered. Had to be done. Also doing Brighton next year, so could be a doubling up again. Ouch.

Absolutely glorious 11m run on the South Downs yesterday morning. No clouds, no haze, quite cool but no wind. It was just stunning. Very rare to get those conditions, just perfect for running. Went with a few clubmates, relaxed pace mostly but several long hill efforts - the garminconnect stats are interesting, check out the elevation profile - over 1,000ft in 11 miles....

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/304351005

Three Forts Challenge (27 miles) next week.........last training event before L2B, looking forward to taking it fairly relaxed and trying out my kit (loaded camelbak etc)

• ballot entered; if I find it's a good race, might add Milton Keynes next year as a backupimage

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Less than 2 weeks till the Sandstone Trail, I will do 13 at the weekend. I need to get my kit sorted as well, the rules are a bit strict about what you have to carry, it's hardly a fell race, just a nice woody trail with some mild hills.

• got a cheeky extra race entered... so now in a hurry to taper and carb load! got a last minute entry into the Milton Keynes race (full 26.2) on Bank Holiday Monday, so now I'll see how good my training really has been! eek!

• 3:19 winning time? won't be a fast, flat route then?! have fun!

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

restedarrested tonight after a club run on Monday and gym last night. Another club. Night tomorrow sick of this bloody. iPad keyboard. 

• Jim - 3,500ft of elevation, all offroad, few gates to climb over etc. Fabulous scenery, cake and biscuits at the feed stations (no gels or lucozade), home-made food at the finish. What's not to like ?? image

• sounds lovely! I've promised myself that once my marathon time is down to something properly respectable I'll enter some off-road and ultra marathons "for fun"...

• Hmm - I decided mine would never get respectable, so do them all for fun image The trail runs are entirely different experiences to the big City road runs, I love 'em. I am thinking about having an attempt on my (modest) PB next year if all the planets are aligned and I haven't fallen to pieces by then

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I keep saying it but you are so lucky OG I think mrs p & I should try and sort a holiday in the area it looks fascinating. 

Club night tonight, then I plan two 13s at the weekend before the sandstone trail next week.  Really looking forward to it image.

• Puff - not too late to enter Beachy Head - you're welcome to stay with us if you fancy it

https://www.jay-sea.co.uk/entry-processing/BeachyHeadMarathon/index.php

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Thanks OG I have thought about it for years, I will be doing Chester on 6th though so it might be a hill too far. Perhaps we'll come and watch you...

• No way. You don't need to run Beachy hard - 2-3 weeks after another is fine. It's a scenic jog/walk...........