ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

I think 7:40 ish pace is a realistic goal. I'm certainly not uncomfortable at that pace. My HM is around 30 secs/mile faster. It's just the thought of doing that pace for 26 miles that is so scary.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Great to hear you sounding so positive malcs. That'll get a you along way. image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Agreed. Minni is a prime example of making that improvement aren't you Minni?

the secret is lots of 20 milers, I believe!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks, though I'm acutely aware that there is a very fine line between being positive and being delusional - I just hope I'm not about to cross that line image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

DS2 - I went from many marathons between 3:31 - 3:43, to 3:28 in 2011. Then 3:20 in 2012 and 3:15 this year.  I have cheated slightly though and have bespoke schedules written for me by a running coach. It's really a team effort. image

What I have found is that as my times have dropped my confidence has grown and I'm much more relaxed about racing now. 

• All this speak about time has made me think what is possible. Those who I met on Boot Camp will testify that I am built for comfort not speed! Definately think I could go under 3:45 but any quicker. Is it just training, harder, faster and the belief that you can.

ps. Laid on the floor at home with Ice on my back treating a muscle spasm. Any physios out there.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Reg - I really believe much of it is what you aim to achieve. I know lots of people who train to run a time thinking that they are not capable of going any faster. I have a couple of mates from hockey who are extremely fit but train to run 5 hours whenever they do a marathon.

When I tell them I train to run 3;15 they look at me in disbelief - partly because on the face of it they are younger and fitter than me.

As malcs says - there is a fine line between ambition and delusion but the only way to run faster is to train faster. More training equals weight loss and then running faster gets easier. I'm sure Ady will testify to that!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Reg - I agree with DS2. However, you don't need to guess about race pace. A good test is your HM time. If you know you can run 13 miles at 8mm pace then 8:30 should feel much more comfortable. If you can hold a conversation without gasping for air at that pace then you have to feel confident that so long as your legs hold you can keep going for 26 miles.

Warning - if you are going to test the conversation without gasping for air part on your own without a partner then do it somewhere where there is nobody around or you'll look like a nut job. Either that or wear one of those headset things and pretend you're on the phoneimage

Once you know this pace then its all about endurance work. I'm not an expert and I'm still learning but what made the difference for me was increasing mileage and running slower (not faster).

In previous years I did quite alot of fast short runs (3-4miles) in the week and a long one at the weekend. This year I did virtually no short fast runs. Everything was longer and slower and I had a midweek longer run of 9-12 miles. 

One of the guys on the 3:15 thread said last December that for the initial part of training you can't really go wrong by doing lots of longer slow running to get time on your feet. I think this seems to work for me and I'll be doing even more mileage this time. 

What's your HM time? If you can run 1:45 then sub 3:45 should be a very achievable target. 

Of course if you want to run faster then you need to get that HM time down and that means speed work. 

I think I could still run a bit quicker without having to improve my HM time but if I ever wanted to dream of 3:15 (rhymetastic) I'd have to be hitting 1:30 or probably much faster.

Minni - wow, that is some progression. I have to say that hearing stories like that is a great help to the rest of us too. I know exactly what you mean about belief and confidence. My whole outlook has changed now. 

• DS2 - Have to say after the training I put in for Brighton, where I did train for 9 min miles, you are right. 

Train to run your aim, And I could do with shedding a few pounds. 

Next thing you know I'll be trying for a 3:20 like Malcs.

• HM time is 1:46 at Bath this year. That felt good and I did hold it back at the start as I was 7:50 min miling at one point!  did crank it up to 7:15 in the last couple of miles.

I shall have to get into a Marathon next year and try some of the training tips.

Was talking to some of running club last night about the training involved. We had 7 at Brighton this year and 5 pbs. This is all down to the training put in before and sticking to a race plan.

• DS2 wrote (see)

Reg - I really believe much of it is what you aim to achieve. I know lots of people who train to run a time thinking that they are not capable of going any faster. I have a couple of mates from hockey who are extremely fit but train to run 5 hours whenever they do a marathon.

When I tell them I train to run 3;15 they look at me in disbelief - partly because on the face of it they are younger and fitter than me.

As malcs says - there is a fine line between ambition and delusion but the only way to run faster is to train faster. More training equals weight loss and then running faster gets easier. I'm sure Ady will testify to that!

You hit the nail on the head there DS2......the only reason I got anywhere near 3:30 was because my training included a lot of faster than MP runs and because Ruth kindly kept reminding me what I should be eating and what I definitley shouldn't be eating! That and the sight of seeing myself in lycra in the mirror repulsed me and I wanted to do something about it!

I'm still a bit on the pdogy side now and I'm sure if I lost another 10lbs (which I think I need to lose) I should be able to start thinking about quicker times.

Anyone entering the New Balance competition for the Nottingham Half this autumn?

• G'day

Been really busy at work, so just catching up now between cases...

completely agree with DS- need mix of long slow run (time on your feet) with some speed work to recruit the fast twitch fibres, and also get you used to running at pace when fatigued. If the speed work is there then running at MP feels a lot easier

I run in Nike to train, and have a pair of Puma Faas 300 for 'racing' in (makes me feel more serious image) I had some compresssport socks which didnt bother me at all while training and then gave me a blister almost the size of the ball of my foot when I did Berlin. The goodiebag after the race included compeed plasters! I was told the only reason people lose toe nails is because their shoes are too 'small'- ie normal shoe size as you should buy them like kids shoes- have a thumbswidth at the toe. Don't know what everyone else thinks

Ady- hats off to you for the run on sunday- 34 miles!! I feel tired just thinking about it. When is Comrades?

Entered the Cologne Marathon today- wife signed off the request at breakfast so off the Germany on October 13 image

Swim training with the triathlon club tonight as I try to get myself in a position to swim in Lake Windermere in 6 weeks. Not looking forward to either of them..

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    DS2 wrote (see)

For those interested, here is my fundraising page. First event is the Halstead marathon and will include Lands End to John O'Groats bike ride, Abingdon marathon and VLM 2014 (on my 50th birthday!!!). Any donation will be greatly appreciated by the charity and me! Thank youimage

http://www.action.org.uk/sponsor/davidsancto

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I posted the above on the Halstead thread. Someone asked why that charity. Here's my reply

DS2 wrote (see)

Minks - I got involved a few years ago and have raised a few thousand on various bike rides. Two years ago we did London to Paris bike ride and thoroughly enjoyed so a friend I met on that trip and I decided to do the End to End.

My twin daughters have autism and I was keen to support a charity that helps fund research into issues related to birth and childhood. Additionally, my sister suffered a still birth with her first child. He would have been 18 this summer so it seemed fitting that I should do something in his memory. Lastly, the charity have just made a big donation into researching the various causes of still birth so it tied in nicely.

thanks for listening

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Reg - looks like the speed is there. With the right training and a little bit of patience sub 3:30 should be a realistic goal over the next year. 

Clive - well done on getting Cologne booked. Used the old trick of telling her over breakfast I seeimage while she's distracted with the kids etc eh?

really fancy joining you but Mrs DS2 birthday on 15 October so will have to tread carefully! I wonder if she'll fancy breakfast in bed tomorrow ........

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Clive - that's excellent. Great that you're joining the summer training camp. Have you done an autumnt marathon before? I've only ever trained for spring marathons so long runs in the heat (assuming we have a summer) are a whole new ball game for me image

DS2 - I keep forgetting you have this mammoth bike ride to do! Just a small matter of Halsted to take care of and you can get on yer bike. 

What's the weekend plan? One last medium run and then a few small ones next week or do you do more?

How are the nerves holding?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Doing a 7 tomorrow and a 13 on Sunday. Just a few easy runs next week with one run including 2 at mp as a dress rehearsal.

I've never done an autumn one either but looking forward to runs in the heat after the winter we've had!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sounds good DS2. Take it easy. I'm sure next week will fly by.

Ady - forgot to say, I won't be entering the NB half marathon comp. I'll be focused on marathon training over the summer so it would only get in the way of that.

• Hi All, right guys hold me to this. Marathon, Spring 2014 Target sub 3:45. Now which Marathon.

I was a bit jealous of all the Autumn Marathon talk so signed up for a Off Road Half that the club I run with put on in Early September.

SLaMM (Somerset Levels and Moors Marathon and Half) if anyone fancies a trip to Somerset?

• Reg- depends on whether you get into VLM I suppose? Otherwise the choice is between a UK one or going to the Continent. Then think about size- big or small?

DS2 wrote (see)

Clive - well done on getting Cologne booked. Used the old trick of telling her over breakfast I seeimage while she's distracted with the kids etc eh?

DS- its called negotiation. Get all my best deals done this way image

Malcs- both my marathons have been autumn ones (Amesterdam and Berlin). Never found training in the heat in UK to be an issue, although did some longish (up to 16miles) runs last August in Spain whilst on holiday. Had to go out around 5.30-6am as otherwise too hot but still humid. I used to take a water bottle that I'd left in the freezer overnight, and by the time it thawed I needed to catch up on the fluids. Lots of salty food to eat during the day...

DS- Hows the last week of the taper going?

Going to sneak out for a short run before I pick my son up from school- don't tell the boss (tiptoeing away from desk now image)

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Clive - taper feels ok now. Did a 6 mile fartlek this morning and really enjoyed it. Pretty hilly but did 6 efforts of 2 minutes in there working pretty hard. I love this session. it's the first time I've done it all year. I didn't have time to do my planned intervals this week and this was the only alternative. I am going to do this every week through the summer.

I did 4 minutes steady, 2 minutes hard and 2 minutes easy. Averaged 7:47mm which is quick for me for a fartlek. It was great fun. That's all the hard stuff done now. 13 on Sunday and then a few easy ones. My head feels in the right place. I think the bonus of an extra 5 minutes for GFA has helped!!!!

Reg - what date is that run. I could combine it with a trip to Devon to see my sister and the half could be a good workout 4-6 weeks before my autumn marathon.

• Malcs wrote (see)

Sarah - bloody hell, you are back to normal if you're running 10K PBs, well done!

I did get out yesterday for post marathon run no. 2. Felt a bit sluggish to start but fine by the end. Reckon I'll need this week to be fully back to normal. 

I don't have any races planned before TR24 but I would quite like to do a couple.

Ady / DS2 - not sure where all this confidence in me is coming from. Are you mixing me up with Sarah the pocket rocket Osborne?

I think the reason I got such a big PB is because I so badly under performed in the past. I would love to think 3:15 would be possible one day but York is unlikely to be the place where it happens. 

I malcs, I felt a little sluggish today and my feet felt like they were hitting the floor quite heavily for the first 2 miles but then every settled down and became more comfortable. Trying to ease back alittle to help myself recover ready for my next races but I have three races in 7 days coming up, starting on wednesday. I have a feeling that im going to have to not race one but I cant decide which one yet ? shef half ? 10k a week on tue?

Love the name "sarah the pocket rocket osborne" lol, thankyou.

It would be great if you did go for a sub 3:15...then we could run together. I was planning on 7:23 min/mls for york image. Im thinking if I can get a sub 1:30 half then I should be capable of this all being well....are you in ???

• Hi Ady, ive just entered the NB comp, I dont think I will be lucky enough to get anywhere, but thought I would give it a shot...need to get a sub 1:30 HM somehow and I actually like NB...I can run in them unlike asics!!

Your training looks to be coming along nicely

• Congrats clive on being allowed to do the cologne marathon, I am actually quite jealous. What time will you be aiming for there, have you decided yet?

I was running in spain last year and had to do the same as you, by 9 am it was far too warm, although it did make running in england easier when I got back

• Good luck with your final longish run this weekend DS2.

I will sponsor you later today when I go on my ipad...dont trust this computer after it contracted a virus last year!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Thanks Sarah. Much appreciated - and those that who have already sponsored me. I will PM to personally thank you all.

• Your more than welcome...a great challenge, especially the wee bike ride, I'm so jealous,x

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭
    sarah osborne wrote (see)

It would be great if you did go for a sub 3:15...then we could run together. I was planning on 7:23 min/mls for york image. Im thinking if I can get a sub 1:30 half then I should be capable of this all being well....are you in ??? 

It's a very nice thought but that could be a bit of a step too far at this stage. We'll see how training goes though. I would also like to get my HM down to 1:30 but that'll be tough. What's your current PB? I'm on 1:34 at the moment so knockig off 4 minutes will be difficult.

Mega snowed under busy at the moment. Been working past midnight every night so far. Just keep going until I start to drop off image

DS2 - nice 'n' easy this weekend then it's all downhill to that GFA. 

Back to work... 

• Hey guys! Im not ignoring you all, My mum has been bad and had her operation so been slightly side tracked! I have been catching up just not had chance to post!

I ran my first Park run this morning! we dont half have some killer hills on our local park! It was good enjoyed it! Feeling quite positive for next weeks half at the minute!

I am seriously looking at Chester Marathon again this year, its on the 6th October so before the VLM ballot is revealed so I will still be focused on the 'MIGHT' thoughts of doing London!