P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

oh wow, a new thread! It took only a week for me to realise. D'uh!!! To be fair, I haven't been online much due to work/life constraints image

Great to see new faces on here image   Not sure I'm allowed to post as I'm not doing an autumn marathon this year image

I've been keeping an Excel spreadsheet since 2008 when I started running image. I just love poring over old data comparing them and analysing each split of a recent race. Yes, I am pathetic and no, I have no life image. I also like Garmin Connect to show me that my running has improved image

• Chick - I'm not running in the autumn either but I've muscled in anyway. image

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Same as Fiona - I've got my big fell race to get out of of the way in September. I'm going to vaguely follow a P+D type plan to help me with that and hopefully - if my legs aren't too bolloxed afterwards - I can do an autumn road marathon somewhere.

So Chick, we can all muscle inimage 

• Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭

Shazmo when you say "vaguely" follow the plan, which sessions will you do/ leave out ?

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Errrrm, all of them Nurse, as I will mostly be running up and down very big hills and getting incredibly muddyimage 

No, seriously, I intend to do a lot of the plan as it will help with my overall fitness and keep me at a certain level so I can pick the road running back up once my fell season is over. 

So Shazmo you aren't targeting an Autumn marathon then ?

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭
    Mennania wrote (see)

I have a pretty brilliant P&D spreadsheet that prepopulates the programme with your training times and allows you to insert comments. It also tells you what time you should be doing sessions in and compares them against actual on a daily and weekly basis. If anyone wants a copy PM meimage.

HeOw agree it's anal but I have got to get myself a copy of this, will pm you Men thanks image

PC91 enjoy the read. I am one of the 'slower' runners on this thread so it will be good to have some others aiming for a sub 4 along for the ride.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I think the thread IS the training diary. The kind of training diary that knows what session you have scheduled and mercilessly bullies you if you don't get round to it.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Those who have asked should have mail by now.

NN - this is P&D specific and ist a digital version of the schedules at the back of the book which you can adjust, emonitor and reorder etc. I actually used this instead of the book for VLM. Its worth having a look at if you plan on following P&D. Pretty useless if you are doing something else

HeOw - Is delamere park run flat or what?

• Very flat Men bar slight incline on the finish.  However, I reckon it is not PB terrain, it is not tarmac, you have to watch your footing.  I haven't seen any of our club members PB on there, majority minute or two slower. 

Did my first run since Manchester, 10k easy (9:20m/m) and my legs felt better today than they did at the marathon.  No justice whatsoever! Could have carried on for miles today and kept having to rein the pace in.  Grr.  

Oh yes it is anal - SO I NEED A COPY! 

I fancy having a look myself thanks men

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

And me! Not that I'm entering an autumn marathon.

• ok, I'm in. going to decide over the next week or so whether I'm targeting wolverhampton on sept 1st or warsaw on the 29th

I got into decent shape for berlin last year using P&D so going to give it a go again seeing as I've trained terribly since I stopped using it

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

PM me an email address and it is yours..

• wow, that spreadsheet is a thing of beauty, thanks mennania. I've just spent an hour playing around with it, the first of many no doubt

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Have to agree gatters, thanks very much Men

Trying to work out all my paces at the moment to add to said thing of beauty, am probably better off doing this when I haven't had a couple of glasses of wine.

Please advise guys , if my MP is 8:46, am I right in thinking that my V02 is about 7:34, my  LT about 8:14, (based on Parkrun and HM times), my LSR about 10.25, MLR about 9:30 mins, at this moment in time my brain (wine) won't let me work out the rest.

• Lisa, is this your first marathon?  Sorry if it isn't!  What are your HM times etc?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Lisa, that sounds about right, if I remember you saying your HM time is 1:47? You could probably get away with doing the VO2 intervals a tiny bit quicker. Try putting your real HM time and your goal marathon time into McMillan and it will calculate the paces for you for both. There's also a VO2 pace chart in the back of the P&D book.

For long runs (and MLRs) the P&D bible says to do them starting at 20% slower than MP and then gradually speeding up to 10% slower. I sort of did that (1st 10 miles at 20% slower then letting myself speed up to the 10% slower for the next however many, then last two at MP if I felt like it) and I found that worked really well for me. There is a tiny chart in the chapter on long runs but it is just examples so you still have to do the maths.

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Men, PM sent, thanks image  

• I have been a bit of a lurker on RW

Think its time to join in as Chicago will be my 5th marathon and i want to improve

3:43 (Dublin), 3:29 (Paris, 3:20 (Amsterdam) and 3:22 (VLM)

HM Pb is 1:27:30

So i think i need a higer weekly mileage as i only went up to 50 for VLM

Plus i must include more tempo runs
    Looks like P&D might be the way to go as there seems to be a proven record on this thread of improved times if followed. (if i can stay injury free.)
    Message sent Mennania (you should start charging!!)

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Nursse -  No specific road autumn marathon in mind, but once I've got my fell marathon (September) out of the way (which is actually 32 miles), I will see what kind of state my legs are in and take it form there.  

PS - I would like this spreadsheet too. Do a feel a new thread coming on......'spreadsheets for P+D OCD/anally retentive/diary enthusiasts' ?

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

HeOw yes its my first marathon, am hoping to go sub 4 hours and all race calculators suggest thats possible - hence aiming forMP of  8.46ish.

Thanks for the tip literatin, I have looked at McMillan a few times in the past but will have another look now that I have a 'proper' plan to follow.

Shazmo image

• Lisa - it sounds like most of your paces are much the same as mine were, although I used HR and just observed the paces later. I'm guessing from the MP thato you are hoping for nearer 3:50 than 4 cos you could make that pace nearer 9:00 which is 3:56.

• Lisa I would hazard a guess that pace of 8:46 with a HM PB of 1:47 might be a tad too fast to start with.  I would stick to race pace of 9m/m for now, if you get fitter and pace quickens - great! 

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

I was impressed with it when I acquired it (for free too).image Shazmo and HeOw, PM me your email and I will forward it on to you.

Parkrun for me this am at Delamere, ran naked(no watch) for first time ever and came 5th but unsure of the time. I would imagine it to be 18.xx.

Debutant - With the P&D schedule I would back you to get sub 3.10 or quicker - 3.05 is the new gfa if you are under 40.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

It's all lies; I PMed him my e-mail and never got anything...

Naked parkruns: that's a bit racy.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Will send you my email address Menn.

Hmm, Im back in Frodsham again this weekend, kinda wish I'd brought (just) my trainers for this naked running malarkey at Delamereimage 

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Lisa123 wrote (see)

Have to agree gatters, thanks very much Men

Trying to work out all my paces at the moment to add to said thing of beauty, am probably better off doing this when I haven't had a couple of glasses of wine.

Please advise guys , if my MP is 8:46, am I right in thinking that my V02 is about 7:34, my  LT about 8:14, (based on Parkrun and HM times), my LSR about 10.25, MLR about 9:30 mins, at this moment in time my brain (wine) won't let me work out the rest.

Lisa, I too have a HM PB of 1.47 and was aimed for MP of 8.46....but I did my VO2s at 7.10 or less and my LT at 7.50, both of which is a tad quicker than the calculators suggested. I also did my LSRs at about 9.15, again a bit quicker than suggested, but I ran at what felt comfortable and tried not go look at my watch too much. Hope this helps. 

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Think imageI have sent it to all who have asked. Let me know if you havent received it! My e-mails arent working 100% and have used two different accounts.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

okay, got it now! Thanks! image