Milton Keynes 2013

booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
How is everyone doing? I've been struggling with injury but managed to slog out 16 miles today. Not going to have a huge taper but will hopefully get an 18 & 20 in as well I hope;) I've put down my time as the 4:30-5:00 area, and would love sub 5, but an worried it's going to be around 5:10, but hey a finish is a finish How is everyone else doing? Oh, any idea if it's flat or not? I'm assuming/hoping it is

Comments

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    Ok, looked at the website and just spotted they have pacers how exciting!! That would make things a bit easier!

I might go with the 4:45 pace man and then if I need to stop for a poo can still stay ahead / keep up with the 5h man! Anyone else done similar in the past?
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hey booktrunk!

I'll personally just be aiming to finish! I'm keeping with the sub 5 pacer (he's a friend of mine) and will hold on as long as I can.

I'm not too worried about the long runs as I'll be running a fair few marathons before it - my key aim is to not get injured!

I've heard it's a pretty flat course. There's no really inclines from what I remember. Just lots of roundabouts!
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    I'll see you around then image
  • TimeaJTimeaJ ✭✭✭

I have signed up for this race.

My training pretty much went down the drain for 2 weeks when we had that terrible weather and before that I had to skip a few key sessions too due to unbearable dental pain. (I did cross train a ;ot in the gym, though, so never really went completelyn idle).

I think I will have a very short taper and will focus on long runs primarily from now on. I would love to finish around the 4 hour mark, but if it does not happen, I will not stress about it too much and will be happy with just finishing strong. This is going to be my second marathon and I still consider myself to be a novice. I did well in the Reading half a few weeks ago despite the foul rainy weather which gives me confidence.

• Tiny request - if you are doing the MK marathon would you please consider participating in my study which you can find on the Spring marathon thread as MSc Research Project requires marathon runners - no electrodes!

It's about using a positively focused self-talk technique to increase your resilience and positive affect (that's the strong positive moods that you can control).

It is straightforward and might just provide an additional tool to conquer the mental aspects of tackling a marathon. Drop me a line if you would like more details.

Cheers.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭
    Bloody expensive marathon!

I'm really grateful that I got in with someone else's place because she was unfortunately Injured.

??5 extra if you want the time on a tag... another ??15 for a t-shirt (no I did not choose a tshirt), ??6 for guaranteed parking!!

I hope it's well organised.
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Trying to drum up some interst image

The route of the marathon is here. http://mkmarathon.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/MK-Marathon-Route2013.pdf

at about 9 miles it goes past the office I traipse down to in MK once a week.  So I think i'll take my gear with me and go for a 5-7k run at lunchtime next week along the redway, just to get an idea what it's like to run on.  I've only done the one marathon and remember going into Leicster going down the underpasses was hell.  I actually looked forward to uphill sections they were fine, but i felt rather wobbly on downhill sections.

• late sign up here, just registered, looking forward to it. i had trained for london but didnt get a place, carried on getting ready in case i went for a charity place but i never, so ive been ready for this distance for some time, only hvaing to wait 2 weks is ideal, i can get it out the way and back off over the hot summer months, 

Hoping for sub 4h but under 4:15 is ok with me.

• TimeaJTimeaJ ✭✭✭

Hi Peeps

It looks like we are going to have a hot day to run this Marathon!! I guess we will still be better off than those who did it last year in pouring rain image (I have had enough of that at the Reading half this March...)

I am going alone so I am feeling a bit sad that I will not have any supporters. image * Sniff - sniff* Is anyone else in the same situation?

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Hi. Did my last run yesterday evening.

10.6km in 69m... 4h 59m here I come... 

My oh is driving down with me and bringing his bike so will hopefully pop up randomly to cheer me on.

• I've managed to miss the registration deadline. Does anyone have a registaration they no longer need?  Happy to pay for it. 

• TimeaJTimeaJ ✭✭✭

How did it go??? I had a fantastic time, really enjoyed the atmosphere and I thought the organising was great. I did not realise how many beautiful parts MK has got until yesterday! The heat was excruciating at certain times but it did not stop me from finishing within my goal image 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Snap.  I got my dream time which is slow compared to a lot of people but for me it was a big thing. I broke 5 hours.  With 4:56:13 i'm so happy with that. 34m pb image

yes it was rather hot wasn't it. I had the odd second bottle of water that i poured over myself at the drink tables. 

I started off with the 5h pacer for the first 12 or so km then ventured a bit ahead of him, then accidentally caught the 4:45 pacer.  stayed with him to half way and though to myself no, i'm going to quick, so I had a deliberatly slow KM as soon as i hit half way, and used that slight relaxation to enable me to get a second wind and just kept on plodding image 

The stadium was great, lots of people in there cheering us all in.  So i'm very happy.

I'm worroed about the 5h pacer hope he and his group were ok as i saw he finished in 5:05 wonder if he helpded someone else out at the end?

• TimeaJTimeaJ ✭✭✭

Yay, I love the pictures! I am smiling in most of them like this: image

• TimeaJTimeaJ ✭✭✭

...addition to the above post: looking at the prices, the expression on my face is more like this: image

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Yeah I just bit the bullet... £35 ouch. oh well.  There are 1 maybe 2 decent pics there image I grimace in virtually every photo when I'm running.  I must look scary to anyone around me.  I am actually enjoying it!! But, from my face, you wouldn't know that.