Garmin 910 XT Tri Bundle

I have been looking at purchasing one of these but do not knwan anyone who has one as it would be good to have some feedback from a current user. I am new to Triathalon but taking it seriously. Any comments would be appreciated.

kind regards

John

Comments

• I don't have one but I want one.  Since I already have the 310XT, I think it's only a matter of time before the Garmin marketing machine persuades me to upgrade.

"910XT - Is it any good?" seems to be a widely asked question on this forum.  Look up the threads but in short, "yes", if it's not going to leave you in financial ruin, the consensus seems to be that it's a cracking bit of kit.

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I have a 310XT with hr strap and bike sensors.  I think it's excellent and wouldn't be without it.  When it dies, I will upgrade to the 910XT (or whatever model is available at that time) for sure.

Do it!

• Hi!, I'm new to Tri as well so don't really know what I'm doing at all! However for my birthday my OH bought me the 910xt tri bundle..... I love it! If you can afford it then do it image And if you decide not to continue with Tri's then there seems to be a good resale value on ebay

Hope that helps

• M..o.use wrote (see)

I have a 310XT with hr strap and bike sensors.  I think it's excellent and wouldn't be without it.  When it dies, I will upgrade to the 910XT (or whatever model is available at that time) for sure.

Do it!

Is it really that much better than the 310XT?

I've had my 310 for about a year now and I think it's the mutt's nuts.  I can't see how it could improved on, except maybe the depth of the face.

• Flat FootedFlat Footed ✭✭✭

Got one, love it, lighter and smaller then the 310 and....measures your indoor swimming lengths saving you having to count length and does SWALF!!!!! don't know what that is look it up on the garmin site. oh and the battery easily last 14 hours for the duration of an IM

• Ok, I'm convinced, if only by the ability to track swim lengths.

• Tracking the OW swimming is classy though, even if it is a bit jiggly!

• I've got one as well, necessary upgrade after I 'mislaid' my old 310.  Tri bundle was at a 'bargain' rate one day on the Garmin website, so I jumped at it.

Impressed with the indoor swimming function, good for distances (99.9% of the time), good to review efficiency, stroke rate, pace etc.  Haven't tri the openwater function yet.

Got cadence sensor on both TT and road bike, and find it useful during training etc.

All in all, can't really fault it.

• I had a 310XT for 3 years and loved it.

I upgraded to a 910XT in February and it is truly magnificent!! All the nice features of the 310XT but with the awesome pool functionality, it's now gone from great to perfect.

Multisport mode is invaluable, but for someone who can't keep count in the pool, it's revolutionised my swimming.

If you can afford it, go for it.  But shop around - places like Handtec, SimplyElectronics and PentagonGPS can be £100 less than some of the cycling/tri shops for exactly the same product.

• Timmy_G wrote (see)

I had a 310XT for 3 years and loved it.

I upgraded to a 910XT in February and it is truly magnificent!! All the nice features of the 310XT but with the awesome pool functionality, it's now gone from great to perfect.

Multisport mode is invaluable, but for someone who can't keep count in the pool, it's revolutionised my swimming.

If you can afford it, go for it.  But shop around - places like Handtec, SimplyElectronics and PentagonGPS can be £100 less than some of the cycling/tri shops for exactly the same product.

Timmy, I'm guessing that the HRM and cadence sensor that I already have on my bike will work if I upgrade to the 910?

Bloody hell, I was perfectly happy with my 310 a couple of hours ago!

• Am I correct in thinking, unlike the chunky wrist strap upgrade you can buy for the 310, the 910 does not have the same, preventing you from snapping it off after swim and plonking in nicely visible position on stem of bike?

• You CAN get a 910xt quick release kit

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Pudge - don't get me wrong, the 310 is fine and I won't get a 910 until it breaks.

I'm not entirely sure all the bits are compatible but it's easy enough to check on the Garmin website.

• The HRM and cadence will work fine with the 910 if it previously paired with a 310

• Thanks for your comments everyone. I am now convinced so doi some online pricomparison on athe will be ordering.

sorry Pudge if this thread means you spending money on something you didn't even know you wanted / needed !

• the 910 also adds 3 kudos points and .75 inches to your manhood, and yes, i have got oneimage

• for ladies it adds a +10 point ability to attract a male triathlete but -8 geek points to suitability of normal males 

• Doner Kebab wrote (see)

the 910 also adds 3 kudos points and .75 inches to your manhood, and yes, i have got oneimage

0.75 inches you say?! I need to get another couple then! image

In the meantime one is great, but if I'm 100% honest, aside from the swimming doesnt bring an awful lot more to the party than my trusty 305. 

But I had to buy one (and a new laptop!) so I could use TrainerRoad virtual power, which I just love! 

• i hope you havent been laughing at my puny power output on trainer road Gladysimage

• Mine arrived today, upgraded from the 405cx when I realised it would most likely die before I finished my first marathon (yes, I'm that slow). Overkill for me as I just run but it looked so good I had to have it.

Lots of reviewers say it can't be worn as a normal watch, they should read the manual as mine works just fine as a watch image

• I brought a 910XT straightaway after reading the in depth review from DC Rainmaker.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/10/garmin-forerunner-910xt-in-depth-review.html

• Doner Kebab wrote (see)

i hope you havent been laughing at my puny power output on trainer road Gladysimage

Yeah, FTP of 262, you're such a Tritalker! (cant think of a worse insult!) 

• I got mine mostly for doing ultras but the swim metrics and geekability of all the data it collects has encouraged me to do more pool training than normal. And yes, shop around. I got mine new with triathlon bundle - chest strap, cadence sensor, quick release kit, wrist strap extension thingy - for less than the RRP of the 910 on its own without the HRM...

• Nice new Garmin arrived today and so far very pleased. Going to try it out in the pool tomorrow but worked well for run and bike today. It certainly is motivation to get outside and monitor how well (or badly) I am doing !

• Hey guy's, i'm looking for a GPS enabled device where by you can plan your own routes. Just moved to Essex and have picked up a bike for the first time in a long time! new to the area and worried i'll get lost haha

GPS enabled - Draw your own maps - ????