MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

And one at 25 too I seem to remember? 

• Is anyone racing this weekend? I am off to do Lichfield half tomorrow,  not sure if a PB is on the cards, but still looking to go sub 1h 45.

• great thanks so basically pretty flat until the 24/25 mile just what you need lol will focus on getting to 24miles then....are the hills massive or not too bad?

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Nothing to worry about, Joel image

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Scott, good luck with it. I'm doing my local 5k on Monday morning - no pb chance for me image

• Parkrun PB for me today followed by Saltash half tomorrow and Bideford 10k next Sunday

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Sharp hill is about 22/23, not too bad, another steadier but longer hill at 24/25 but once you're up it there is a straight, down to river and straight back the racecourse with a lot more spectators so last mile is much easier once youre up the hill

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

The first half seems to be steady decline

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

This thread just vanished from my bookmarks and won't come back- odd..... image

• Hello hope everyones training is going ok.

I've just entered the race, this will be my first time at Chester and im really looking forward to it. I actually entered last year but dropped out a couple of weeks before because I wasnt ready.

I ran London and am just about recovered now to start training again, I ran 3.04 at London so im hoping to knock 5 minutes off in Chester and ill be happy. image 

• Hello Heow, i thought i might find a couple of familiar faces on here image

Are u running Chester?

• Looking to run my 2nd marathon October time after completing Brighton last month. Would everyone recommend Chester? Looks like a lot of positive comments.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

races for me   are   Leeds, Eyam and Buxton half marathons  plus some shorter ones aswell    will be putting in for Leek half aswell

• Afternoon all ... sat here nursing the DOMS from hell after playing on the Sandstone Trail this weekend , so what better than to finally get round to entering another marathon.

So as of now I'm officially all signed up. image ... now if only I can find where I left my quads !!

• I'm doing this one too Bruce C. We're both on the Giant's Head too

• So I believe Steve, but I think can guarantee that this one is pancake flat compared to the terrors that Giants Head has in store.

• Yep. I've been set a sub 4 target for this one , but I don't think that's going to happen somehow

• ringo100ringo100 ✭✭✭

Don,t rule it out Steve have set PB's each year I have run it. The course despite not being flat I found a lot faster than a flat run like Abingdon. looking forward to going back (though had hopeless half at Chester yesterday)

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Steve my goal is around 4 hours, but would love sub 4 hours even if it was by 2 seconds image. What is your HM and 10k time like? 

Bruce hope you have found your quads and you are now able to walk/shuffle/hobble! image

• Hi Lisa. My best HM is 2.17.07 at Silverstone in March, and 10k 1.00.29 (set yesterday). I think 4 hours would be possible if I trained properly, but I struggle to get motivated for training

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Steve they (seasoned marathon runners) suggest for a full marathon you need to double your HM time and add about 20 mins for a decent estimated time for marathon. The trick is to find a plan that suits you and your abilities and follow it, this may also help with your motivation - obviously you don't need to be a slave to the plan unless you are like me - I love a good plan image

Motivation to train for a marathon is necessary if you want to finish within a goal time, however if you are just happy to finish said marathon then that is entirely different ballgame.

Let us know which plan you decide on.

• They don't have a plan called  the stressed man who lets work run his life plan do they?

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

No they don't.

Running can really help to de-stress though. I often after a really shit day at work, come home put my trainers on and head out. Thankfully I have a very understanding OH, who often tells me to go out for a run if I am in a mood from hell due to work stress or one of life;s other stresses.

Hope you are able to find a balance along the way.

• I wish they did. Set myself some challenging targets today to reach by the end of the year. Hopefully that'll get me out. Sub 25 5k, sub 50 10k and a sub 2.00 half. We'll see

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Steve good luck and with training you will acheive it.

I started properly running last Spring following the C25K programme. Last July I ran my first 10k in 1hr 2 mins, I am running Bupa 10k in 2 weeks and hoping for about 48mins (dependent on how busy the start is) - I ran 50.02 in November 2012 (4 months after my first). My 5k time has reduced from 32ish mins to 23 min in the space of 9 months on a hilly parkrun and my HM time is 1hr 47, am looking to reduce that to about 1hr 45. This is just with me running consistently, I know that when you first start running you get a lot of beginner improvements. So I am now following a 'proper plan' and hoping that the improvements continue, although I know that it will be seconds rather then minute now.

• Hallam BlueHallam Blue ✭✭✭

Lisa - which parkrun out of interest?

• I'm hoping to go sub 4 again at Chester, although think will definitely need to get my head down and do some more qualityspeedwork, as most recent training has been concentrating on the longer stuff, and to be honest has been pretty spasmodic.

So think we need to get our collective acts together and formulate a training strategy to banish the motivational wobbles.

• Hallam BlueHallam Blue ✭✭✭

(This is really difficult to follow - we're having a similar discussion on the RW forumites FB page as well.)

I'm following the RW 4hr15min training schedule. 4 runs a week, but I'm going to add 2 days of cross-training in as well.

• Training suddenly gone s***,

I am due to run a 5k as part of a relay triatholone this friday followed by a 5 mile on 2nd June Then was having a week off (to visit daughter in Ireland) then into the 16 week plan for Chester....... but had to pull up (and ring the misses to pick me up) in my long run on sunday with painful calf / achillies (had Achillies Tendonistis a couple of years back), so not sure what to do now, probably rest and ice all this week and hope it holds up on Friday, I think normally I would have pulled out of Friday race but diffilcult being a relay to let the other two down image