asthma

Back in September I was diagnosed with bronchial asthma. I'm ok when training between 9.30 min miles but if go any faster I can't breath. I have slow down take inhaler. Today was at 8km in 10k race. I never got it under control till 15 min after finishing the race. So slow finish. Got half next month and want tips at how run fast and not kill myself. Its pain in my chest more uncomfortable than wheeze and cough.

Comments

• Hi Lisa

I've recently been diagnosed with asthma after a period of pneumnia and chest infections.  My running is just rubbish, cannot go fast and have this awful pain in my chest, like you, rather than breathlessness and cough.  every run is uncomfortable, my limbs feel like I cant get any oxygen in them.  My running is such a big part of my life and I am worried it's never going to get any better.  I go back to consultant tonight, but basically none of the inhalers or tablets he's given me have made a difference. 

are you feeling any better now?

• Hi Lisa and Betty - sounds as though your asthma is not sufficiently controlled as yet - it can take a while to get the meds right. Do you record your peak flow? Can be useful in seeing if it's generally poorly controlled or if the exercise is exacerbating it. Being asthmatic doesn't mean that you can't run or run fast - I managed a new PB at VLM despite only having finished my second course of steroids in a month on the Thursday!

I would say to go back to your GP or asthma nurse, explain what's happening and adjust/try some different meds.

Good luck!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Hi Lisa . 

I can try and help , I'm an asthma nurse. Are you on a steroid inhaler? Do you take your salbutamol before you Begin to run?

im also asthmatic and agree with sweaty , it's just a case of getting the meDs correct and running wont be a problem.

• Ooh hello snail  happy bank holiday! you may wish you hadn't confessed to being an asthma nurse  image I am similar to above. Pretty sure with hindsight that I have had exercise induced asthma for a while but it really developed post pneumonia 12 months ago. On steroid and salmetarol now so OK for most day to day stuff but still suffer about 25 mins into a run unless going really slowly. Take salbutamol before and prob a couple of times in an hours run but then generally settles after that. Is this best management I can expect or will I be able to improve? Unfortunately I was never very fast about 9 30 min miler but now even slower any advice welcome

• savi - I was diagnosed with EIA last year - having been asthmatic for over 20 years - I was prescribed symbicort and montelukast in addition to the ventolin with sodium cromoglicate to take before 'extreme exertion' - which I take as meaning marathons or IM.

• Thanks Little Miss guess if you're talking marathons and IM you don't struggle after 25 mins then, there's  hope for me yet. I have my review coming up so will discuss with my nurse.

• Definitely hope if you get your meds sorted savi!