Is this your 1st Marathon, no matter which one

1234568»

Comments

• Hi Laura, I don't tend to do anything different as I always have cereal and eat fish chicken, pasta, potatoes rice, but I always try to eat an hour and half before I run. I've never had problems with my diet but we are all different. On a different note may race number for Chester half arrived today, getting excited now.

• Laura, I tend to eat on a relatively empty stomach (a few slices of toast or a few hours since a meal), but that's just me. As sinbad said, listen to your body. Experiment. 

In terms of plans, have you seen the MyAsics site (http://my.asics.co.uk/)? It seems to be pretty well regarded around here, and the plans are flexible (can change number of runs per week etc). But mostly, pick one and stick to it image I found putting all my runs in my phone's calendar really helped me to not find excuses and actually do the runs. Good luck!

I managed a 3 mile walk yesterday, legs are still aching. May try a swim or really short run over the next few days, but in no big rush to get back out, think a rest is well deserved!

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Yes you do deserve that rest, after that fantastic time russellelly.

Ar well try to motivate myself to go and do me shopping.

Enjoy.

• Just entered the Blackpool summer 10k in July with my son, so that should be fun.

• I did an easy 4 miles run this morning, I'm tapering for next Sundays half marathon, so just taking it easy.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Paulc46 glad the tapering is going well.

Good idea about the Blackpool 10k, sonds like a fun 10k

Hope all okay?

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have entered the Blackpool 10k but the one 31st August (i think day is right lol). I decided to give myself an extra month just in case, training goes awry.

Hope your all okay?

• Well done Sinbad, I hope all goes well.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Paulc46 was it this weekend that you did your marathon?

No run again today. I'm not too woried at this stage.

• This Sunday coming I do the Chester half.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Keep me informed on how it all goes please.

I'm glad I'm doing the Blackpool in August, I feel it will be a nice build up from the 5k.

Hope everyone is okay, and that includes those who just pop in t see what the thread is about image.

• fidsfids ✭✭✭

Hi all.  Well done Perezoso i read the account of your marathon and it was great, really well written and descriptive.

I have been rreally busy at work and with family, to post.

I managed to exceed my my target which was sub 4hrs, by doing 3:42:04.  The first 20 miles were quite easy but then wow! My legs started to play me up, my joints were aching and my knees were sore.  Not sure if that was psychological though.  Had the boost of seeing my sister 4 miles from home, then i heard the noise of multiple feet behind me and straight away knew that the 3:45 pacer had caught up with me, (pacer had stopped for a wee about 3 or 4 mls after the start) and i had gone all the way to this point by myself, definitely a bit too quick because i had slowed considerably. Pacer started to pull away but managed to keep putting more effort in and keeping up and when the finish line came had managed to go pass him.

More pleasing than the time, is being able to dig deep when i was really hurting, I think that boost to the ego will impact my life in a positive way and all those who experienced a similar thing can also feel proud and take the same feeling of achievement and make it a positive.

I'm realy pleased with that effort (i'm sure you can tell by now) and have already signed up to my next marathon which will be Chester in October.

Glad to see most people have come through unscathed and invigorated.

Bring on the next one!!

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Fantastic running, and the next one planned already, I'm impressed'

• I'm taking it easy today its the Chester half tomorrow.Up at 6.00am get there for 7.45am park up and just take in the atmosphere while I warm up. I'm getting excited now lol.image

• fidsfids ✭✭✭

Good luck Paul.  You're well into the race while i'm posting this (unless your really really fast and you've finished already). image

• Paul I'm doing Chester Half tomorrow too, here's hoping the rain isn't so bad tomorrow.

• Theakster, hi I think it's sunny and rain tomorrow so hopefully won't be too bad, good luck to you for the race.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I went out Saturday, sowas too drunk to post ow er.

Yeah I hope the Chester run goes well today. Keep us informed. Theakster, keep us informed how you do to.

Hi fids, hope your running goes well to.

• Hi All I've just got back from Chester Half and managed a PB of 1hr 45mins 44secs so well happy with that. It was a well organised race, good marshals and good support. People handing out jelly beans and water. It's a race I will do again.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Great news about the PB time, and that it was well organised. Onwards and upwards after a well earned rest for a few hours or days, before planning your next goal.

It takes me 1 hour 30 minutes just to do 6 miles, so I'm impressed.

• Used the Chester Half to try and do even pacing and to get used to using drink stations.

I never drink in my training runs, something the recent hot weather has been punishing me for so I thought I'd give it a go. I still find drinking, even a little leads to a stitch, I'm asuming if I start taking water out when I train I'll get used to it?

As for the pacing it seemed to go quite well, although I'm yet to look at mile times, I had enough left at the end to stop a couple of other guys out sprinting me to the line which was good and I didn't seem to slow towards the end, bar the last hill which was a bit of a killer.

My time 1:24:35, not a PB but I'm still pretty damn pleased image

I'd also like to reiterate what Paul said, Chester Half is a very well organised affair and the support was fantastic.

• Well done theakster nice time, and your right about that last hill what a killer.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Good running and time for the Chester half Theakster, at least your trying to inron the intake of water. I will have to try the Chester half next year.

Not looking orward to that last hill though image

• After last Sundays race I've decided not to run this week, but I will be out at weekend to top up the fitness.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Paulc46, good thinking.