P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Yes, I got it too, thanks image 

• Thanks Mennania - it is fantastic! Can't wait to start it in June.

• I have the file but I have a Mac, loaded it up but can't find the drop down menu on the main screen, I assume your using Excel, is there a drop down menu on the main screen?

• Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭

Thanks men..got it

• Its ok now, just got Excel for the Mac.

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Fiona and HeOw maybe I am being a bit overly optimistic - yes I will start off with aiming for a mp of around 9.00min/miles and see how the training goes. If it feels good I can then increase the pace.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭

Yes I've seen that thread, 15. It's a good 'un image 

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Delamere park run in 18.19 for me - People say it is enlightening to run sans Garmin - not me. As there are no markers I found it difficult to gauge effort/distance.Nice course though!

• Great time there Menn, I need to give that one a go.15, read that article last week, still brings a laugh.

• Oh hey it's you guys. Any takers for Leicester marathon in October?

• Thnaks to these threads, I've bought the P&D book and love it - i like to know why I'm doing things and the book helps make sense of everything. I'm going to be using the structure and ideas for my first half marathon in September, having a go at amending an 18 week plan. 

• Rachel - try getting a hold of their other book road racing for serious runners. It has plans for everything from 5k to marathon. That might be more helpful.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Oh look, it's Al. I am actually strenuously resisting the temptation to enter an autumn marathon, so no to Leicester although it's pretty local... though I have been finding myself having ideas like 'maybe I could just start the marathon training schedule anyway, then call and change my Robin Hood half entry to the full nearer the time...' Which is probably a bit silly. I should be sorting out my speed at shorter distances first, I think, then having another go at VLM next spring.

• Thanks Fiona - will take a look for that.

• Hi all, I'm about to start a P&D training schedule (18/55) and was wondering what you think of the following paces. Do they seem about right for someone looking to run 9 minute miles for the marathon?

VO 06:46 LT 07:30 MP 09:00 GA 10:21 MLR 10:48 to 09:54 LR 10:48 to 09:54  REC 10:30   Some of these do seem quite slow to me (PBs below) and the calculators suggest that I should be able to run a much quicker marathon that's 4 hours, but I'm more comfortable aiming for 4 hours for now (I've tried twice and never managed better than 4:10).   10k: 44:07 HM: 01:39:50 M: 04:10:02
  • StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Loving the P&D training spreadsheet, spent most of yesterday playing around with it, I am so nerdy when it comes to these things image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Adam - those paces look pretty textbook in terms of the P&D bible. Which ones do you think seem too slow? And what did you do differently for your last two marathons?

• Adam - I've just done a 3:52 marathon and I run much slower than that for VO 2 and LT but with your 10k and HM times you should be able to go faster. I was probably doing MLR/GA and LSR faster than you have there but I was using heart rate and was probably going faster than I expected for a sub 4. If you look back a couple of pages, Lisa had more similar paces for sub 4 except a slightly too fast MP pace

• Thanks Literatin. I was surprised that GA runs were as slow as they are. Anything 10 minutes or more per mile always feels like a jog to me, so I didn't think any session other than the long run would be 10+. I'm fine with these paces if they are in line with the plan though!

To be honest, I'd say that what I did differently for my last two marathons was not train properly! I did three runs per week, not many long runs, only one longer than 18 miles, and I never did any runs slower than 10 minute miles. I'm determined to train properly this time though.

• Adam- no wonder you struggled to do a sub 4. If you use P&D you should have no problems based on your other times

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ah yes, I see what you mean about the GA runs - I did the 55-70 programme and there weren't as many of them. I think it's because they use the term 'general aerobic' fairly loosely to describe any runs that are between about 7 and 10 miles, and obviously the lower-mileage plan is going to have more of those. If you get horribly bored of the slow pace I don't see why you couldn't just pretend they were MLRs.

And yes, as Fiona says, 'not training properly' will probably be why you didn't break 4 hours!

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Adam, I've just completed my second marathon but my first time following 55/18. I was aiming for 3.49 but managed to get 3.39.

I did VO2 at 7mm, LT 7.50mm, MP 8.45 (but my HM & 10k bests are not as quick as yours, so I would say go with what you've indicated for them).

All of the others (LSR, MLR and GA) I did between 9mm - 9.30mm...but most were no slower than 9.15. This was a bit quicker than the recommended paces but I found it very difficult going as slowly as suggested, so I just did these sessions at what I felt comfortable at. I know everyone is different but I didn't find I was any more fatigued running at a slightly quicker pace and I recovered quickly.

I didn't bother with the recovery runs, I cross trained.
  • AdamJBristol wrote (see)

Hi all, I'm about to start a P&D training schedule (18/55) and was wondering what you think of the following paces. Do they seem about right for someone looking to run 9 minute miles for the marathon?

VO 06:46 LT 07:30 MP 09:00 GA 10:21 MLR 10:48 to 09:54 LR 10:48 to 09:54  REC 10:30   Some of these do seem quite slow to me (PBs below) and the calculators suggest that I should be able to run a much quicker marathon that's 4 hours, but I'm more comfortable aiming for 4 hours for now (I've tried twice and never managed better than 4:10).   10k: 44:07 HM: 01:39:50 M: 04:10:02

Adam your HM time is pretty similar to mine so I would say for sure if you  follow the programme I would confidently say you will duck well under 4.  I ran a HM in March in 1.38.20 and VLM in 3.33.55

• First GA run crossed off - and my first 4.30am getup of this training schedule! Need to get used to those as I reckon I'll need to do it at least once a week for the next few months. image Was aiming for LSR pace but sped up over the last few miles to roughly MP. I'll see how knackered I feel later on today and the rest of this week.....!

• Would be interested in hearing how you feel later on acp.  When I start the schedule I've a feeling a couple of runs may need to be done at 5am, although I think I'll just stick to the recovery runs at that time of day....followed by some very strong coffee image

• I have awoken from my post Manchester marathon slumber and am ripping up the P&D reverse taper and doing it my own way.  Hat's off to those of you who manage to keep to another plan for 5 weeks AFTER marathon but no way could I.  

Adam, you should be smashing sub 4 with your other times, it is all about the training though. 

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Men - you're the Man ! Thanks.

Shazmo - "managed" seem tame for 10 mins jump. Well done.

There are loads of people on this thread, great advice a few pages back about not attacking the plan on day 1.  Week 1 (18/55) has a MLR of 12, so be prepared.

Buying the book doesn't guarentee a great performance, however the 800 miles of training in the 18/55 plan should give anyone a solid base. Scary but exciting.

• Tiny Runner - I usually run between 5 and 5.30 so it's not that much earlier but any time starting with a '4' just seems so much earlier. image 

• Where is everybody....?! Did I say something...?! image

Second GA run this morning. Should have included strides but not entirely happy with the whole 'stride' thing so gave those a miss!image Decided to run to HR rather than pace and ended up doing 9.45m/m average which is pretty much MP. Not quite sure what this means!