giving up the booze

Hi All,

There are two parts to this thread. The first is that I tried to start this thread some time ago, after losing the original one. I am a binge drinker, whose life is chaotic to say the least.

I have started running as a teenager then stopped when booze took hold. I'm constantly trying to get back into running regulary as it really helped back then, as I'm sure it ill no.

What I'm trying to say is I would like other runners ho may ant to stop boozing or cut don to join in with this thread. Its so hard to accept that you may need some support that is non judgemental,as I hope this thread will be.

The second is I have lost the ural to go to the original giving up the booze thread (some 30,000 posts!

I miss my friends there they are so supportive. If anyone has contact with TST, HFT, Cinder's, Sunluva, Apparition and Agent Ginger, could they ask to try and reach me somewhere on here, for the original ural?

Hope all yur training is going well.

Comments

• Hi Sinbad, good luck with your journey, hope you get as hooked on running as you were on drinking!

• I just posted on above thread, and it is still not showing image

• Have emailed RW to see what the problem is.

• I've been posting on website bugs for over a month, and have emailed them  image

• the thread has always been there, it's just been a bugger to find as it's not on the begibber's index

• Dunno if you want this thread to continue or your old one but here are my thoughts....

I used to drink alot, a bottle of wine or 8 beers a night usually....everyone, friends family girlfreinds all told me I had a problem but I said no, I don't I just like it. Lost alot of good friends because of the booze and my stupid drunken antics. Kids came along and I cut down but I'd still get pissed. Then, at the start of this year I decided to prove them wrong and cut it out completely for January.

It was a pretty scary thing as I loved the getting home and having a few beers thing, but like giving up anything I just pushed through it. Promised myself some new speakers for my car at the end of the month only if I spent Jan without a drop of beer passing my lips.

Well, I've got some nice 6x9s behind my front seats now and looking back at the years of drinking every day it's like a different world. I still can't let myself have more than a couple, pretty much ever, as when I start I still can't stop on a night out if you see what I mean, but now I can stop myself at one, or more easily, go without completley.

I'm up for a drink free May with you if you like?

• yeo wrote (see)

I've been posting on website bugs for over a month, and have emailed them  image

Me too Yeo.  If they can't get it to show again it would just be nice to get a response saying that.  Just seems rather rude to not even acknowledge we are asking them about it.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Good going C P 31. I was drunk Wednesday, but I will try join you for a free beer May 2013, at least forthe rest of it. But I doubt it,its a bank holiday weekend.Nothing worse than stopping in.

Try the URL at the top thats where regulars go, we just cant get RW to putit back on the beginners thread.

Its why I started this thread here as we can't get the old one back here.

I'm surethere's out therethat are using running to help cut down or stop drinking.

Hope all are okay?

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I keep wondering whether I should post on here or not. But I have decided for now to do so. Why? well I know there are other runners out there that may struggle with booze to one extreme or another, I just want them to know their not alone, with what they want to acheive with their running.

I'm struggling tonight getting sleep. I believe it can take 2 or 3 months off the beer before you even begin to start to fom any form of a sleep pattern. Lots of films and books ahead of me then (terry Pratchet fan).

A friend in one of the forums has said concentrate on stopping, cutting down on booze first, running second. Thats what I'm going to try and do here. I managed 2 5k on Monday and Tuesday, I went out Wednesday, but I hope to walk or do 5k Saturday. C P 31, it doesn't matter which one people may wish to choose or ignore completly, its just here.

I'm going to try and stick to as few a days as possible this month, and try and not drink as long as I can.

Although I have been told by professionals that binge drinkers and perhaps others, should cut down a couple at a time. Its just that I want to get back up to spending, 4 hours running, or just enjoying the fantastic countryside here in West Yorkshire.

Anyway, hope you have and are having a peaceful nights sleep.

One way or another I will run a marathon,just don't know which one or when yet.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Sorry I got drunk.

Emjoy your bank holiday.

I know there more like us.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

it feels like Im posting for myself lol.

Although I got drunk again yesterday, Im still kicking myself for doing so. Yet I have only been out 3 times in 10 days. I know this doesn't sound very good for some people, I used to drink all day to every day from 9am to 11pm.

Ar well onwards and upwards. I ran 2 5k runs last week, I will try and build up on that from Bank holiday Monday.

I hope people are enjoying their long weekend?

• TenjisoTenjiso ✭✭✭

Hi Sinbad, I hope you manage to get sorted. Reading what you said up there about advice from the professionals, IMHO they know jack all. Trying to cut down is torturing yourself. Let's face it, you probably only even care how much you drink while you're sober, so trying to stop after a set number of drinks is already doomed to failure because at that time your inhibitions have already been loosened.

I tried for years to cut down and "moderate" my drinking. Sometimes I stopped for a month at a time (CP31's "drink free May" above struck a chord), but I always returned to drinking with a vengeance. I eventually succeeded, though. And that was when I realised that the only way I could moderate was to quit drinking completely. You probably don't want to hear that now, but I'm giving it to you straight, so give it some thought.

A book you might want to read is "Easyway to Control Alcohol" by Allen Carr. It was after reading that book that I quit.  That was nearly seven years ago (after close to 30 years of drinking). The cover price of the book was easily repaid the very first night I didn't drink! I look on it as the best investment I ever made image.

It can be done, and doesn't have to be a painful process.

Also, running is a brilliant way of focusing the mind and body on something positive, so I wouldn't be hasty about stopping in order to "concentrate" on cutting down alcohol! My doctor advised me in passing that it was okay to "moderate" after I had already stopped drinking for over a year image, which is partly why I say it's best not to take advice from drinkers, even if they are "professionals".

I wish you well, and anybody else who is struggling. 

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Thanks for the adviceTenjiso. I have already decided to stop drinking completly, I just frustrated at the up and down of slowly cutting down. Three  days out of 10 is good for me.

Somebody mentioned to me that their doing the Blackpool 10k, which isn't till the 21st July, I'm thinking of giving it a try, as I'm nearly back to running 5k completly. My route is extremly hilly, so I know a resonable flat route I know I could reasonably well.

As for yourself stopping completly I'm impressed (hope this doesn't sound condescending) but you should be proud of yourself. As one freind said to me, it takes guts to stop drinking.

Hope everyone is well.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I think this may be my last post, noone seems to want it.

But ending up on a positive note. I been up and out for my 5k run at about 05.00 this morning. I managed to shave off about 4 minutes of my time to about 49.30.

The only reason why I may continue to post, is to let other people know, that their is a regular thread for those wanting to cut down, stop drinking, for some reason it has just disappeared from the beginners forum, and none of us can get it back on the main beginners threads.

Enjoy your bank holiday Monday.

• my husband said it ain't easy being a sober boring old fart but it beats being a piss head hands down.

all you have to do is say no.  

believe it or not, that is all you have to do.

just recognise the fact that alcohol is an evil poison that will destroy you if you let it.

then say no !  

it is not as hard as you may think.  just say no and have a soft drink  instead

or better still have some honey on home baked fresh bread.

• Hi Sinbad congrats at being up at 5 for a run, I tried that once and pressed snooze and got up an hour later. In my opinion it takes commitment and determination to get up and get out running at that time so well done.

Have you read Alan Carr book no more hangovers, its just a small book that you can carry in your pocket and he encourages you to read it as many times as possible. It helped me priorities things a few years back. I still have a drink about once a month but only drink JD and lemonade now as its the only drink that agrees with me and I get to the 'merry' stage and that's enough for me.

All the best with everything, hope you continue to keep this updated.

• sinbad113 wrote (see)

Hi All,

it feels like Im posting for myself lol.

Although I got drunk again yesterday, Im still kicking myself for doing so. Yet I have only been out 3 times in 10 days. I know this doesn't sound very good for some people, I used to drink all day to every day from 9am to 11pm.

Ar well onwards and upwards. I ran 2 5k runs last week, I will try and build up on that from Bank holiday Monday.

I hope people are enjoying their long weekend?

Morning, sorry I didn't see any replies to this thread for ages so thought it had died! I'll admit, I had a beer yesterday and one friday, but ok so no booze for the rest of the month (I'm personally going to make it until the 9th of June....my first half mara so a good target!)

Only drinking 3 out of 10 days is great work....it show's you don't need to every day which is the important thing. Keep going like this and it'll be the 'norm' not to be drinking. It was a big thing for me just to get to the stage where having a drink was the exception rather than the rule. Keep at it and try and make three days four....then four days five etc etc.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

C P 31 nice you came back into this thread. The post for old thread is on the first page if needed.

Thanks for your post, its dammed hard work giving up. Thats sounds like one way of slowly cutting down. I get so down, when I do end up in the pub each time. I agree with you, building up booze free days at your own pace is the way forward.

High Harrys Mate that sounds like for some it works. The hardest thing is to say no, till people get used to it.

The hardest thing is living on your own, while those with families may love time out. The extreme is being on your own for days. The internet is great, but were social annimals that like being around people. I hope things improves for you.

Hi Rosscog84. Tinjenso has mentioned the book, and I have looked at it, and I will be buying it. I just have to get my mooring fees paid this month. And as some of you have posted therefore I will continue this thread. As I know people will be too busy to post, and others may be wanting to post and may not be ready to say hi yet.

No run today, I felt tired, but I will try and get out before going into town, to buy a pair of new running shoes. I didn't realise how quickly they wear down.

I'm thinking of entering the 10k Blackpool run, its not till the 21st July, and I'm nearly upto 5k without stopping again.

• Do the Blackpool 10k! You've got two months then and it'll be something to aim for and get you out of the 'house' (but not the pub!).  Something else to focus on....

• Like C P said, do the Blackpool 10k. I'm doing my first half marathon on the same day as that and it's really kept me focused on running and I enjoy it a lot more knowing what the training is building up to.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I hear you. I'm hopefully going to enter in the morning/

Hope you two are okay?

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I couldn't sleep, third day into no beer, wonder if its down to having no beer, or is it too soon.

I have entered the 10k Blackpool run, not the one in July, but on 31st August. I decided just in case of I go on a binge drinking sessions, it gives me an extra month to play around with.

Hope all okay?

• Third day into no beer....doing well! Yep, the trouble sleeping will be the lack of booze, it'll wear off though. Running might be good for this I reckon as atleast it'll knacker you out a bit more? Good on you for entering the 10K, bit more of a reason for doing those daily runs.

Oh and this is a good thread from another forum (inspired me to go running!)

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=211&t=1178125&mid=65717&i=0&nmt=alcoholism+advice&mid=65717

• Afternoon. Another dull day of work dragging in!

You'll be struggling to sleep to start without booze but once your body gets into the routine of sleeping again naturally you'll feel a lot better getting out if bed and more energetic.

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Thanks for ural C P 31. I think I'm busy enough at the minutes with forums and live chat. Perhaps others will take a look at it though. I'm glad it encouraged you to run. Good going with day 3 no booze. The professionals, reckon binge drinkers should cut down slowly. What do you think.

Personally, I feel there right. But going into the pub each time tring to cut down, depresses me. We got to remember to not punish ourselves if or when we do slip and slide though.

Well at least its a at least after today, only two left till weekend. A short working week this week? Rosscog85 how are you doing with staying off the booze?

No run again today. But I normally have from 9am till now about 8 pints. Instead I did me shopping and invested in a new pair of new ballance trainers. I went into my local, sat with a drinking friend with a pint of lime and soder then left. One person mentioned my hands were shaking (due to no booze).

And to be honest I'm exhausted.

Glad that your both using this thread, I hope it helps long term.

• I don't really drink now, maybe once a month if we have a few friends over but even then I know when i've had enough.

Well done for managing to sit in a pub without having a drink, that takes some doing!

• sinbad113sinbad113 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Good for you, knowing when you have had enough.

Thanks for that. Now for a light hearted tale for you all.

I put me clothes on as you do, then as I walked to local shop, I felt fresh air between my legs. To my horror, there was a rip right down the middle of my jeans, which after I had sat down wondering if I should go home and change, or risk till I got into town to buy a new pair.

Luckily, I made te right decision, as by the time I got home, the rip had grown to right upto my belt, to well under, you know what. I just hope not too many people were watching ow er.

Hope all okay?

• haha, trouser disaster....ah well you'll need some more after getting into the running again anyway! All good here, hope your doing well. Well done for doing the pub without a pint, must have been really really hard. I'd avoid anywhere like that if I was you!