Next Step

Hi i completed my 1st ever half marathon on saturday in 1 hour 40 which i was pleased with. I have to admit i am still buzzing and i want some more success so i would like to take up a new challenge of maybe doing more races through the year but  would idealylike to beat that time next year. So would like some advise on what i should do going forward on how to improve running speed improve strength in my running. Would doing gym work help me or losing more weight make me better. Any advivce would be most welcome. thanks steve 

Comments

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

First off, we need to know more about you and what you are doing.

Age and weight?
    Current weekly mileage and current long run distance.
    Are you doing any speed work and if so what?

gym isn't really essential for running however I would say that core work is. get yourself signed up for a class or similar, you can do it at home on your own once you know what you're doing. It should include stuff like lunges and squats as well as plank; pressup; crunches. Also more dynamic stuff like burpees.

You can xtrain to improve overall fitness and muscle strength. Swimming and cycling or any other sport really, something that gets you moving. Ball sports that encourage short bursts of speed and sudden change in direction. (esp if you run a lot of off road).

However you can just stick to running, it does get said, "if you want to run better then you need to run" It's true to an extent.