Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Ian Moore 2 yep u r correct I'm not going to rush the weeks by especially they  are as nice as now. 

Training going very well had a great weekend. I have a "fun" marathon in July to look forward to so will use prep for that as part of MT for Berlin. Start my track sessions at club tomorrow. I don't look forward to  them but I do know they work. 

Amazing how when the weather is as nice as this running and bike exercise just seems even more enjoyable. What a great sport to b able to get out and c the British countryside at its best.

• Damn right stephen.

Jase - just take it easy and don't be afraid to bale out even in Edinburgh.  No point injuring yourself long term.

Got my plan all typed up today image

• Thanks for all the injury advice all.  I know I'm not being overly sensible or scientific but I've never got on with physio's - and just for me, as daft as it may be, if it's going to hurt anyway, I'd rather train a bit on it and get used to the pain then have a shock come marathon day.

So......just how good is Berlin?  Where does it rank? (apologies if this is a question that has been asked lots before).  It looks amazing!!

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

no.1 for me so far

Ranking my previous have been: Berlin, Amsterdam x 2, Paris, London x 3, Brighton x 2 and Milton Keynes

Fast, wide roads, great atmosphere and fantstically clean and efficient city. Just hope the new airport is ready as the old ones are just that, old!

The only thing that seemed a little weak was the expo, but having said that the kids loved the Bambini Run.

• Is there a breakfast run the morning before Andy?

• Yip it is DLR, but If I remember correctly, its at the Berlin Stadium??

• Never been to Germany so may as well see the sites - you and the bairns doing it?

• Yes, We will be. I never did it last time though! But must watch inline skating marathon on the Saturday afternoon - its awesome!!!image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Andyc - I don't think the new airport will be open. In a major failure of German organisation, it looks like it will be delayed until at least next year.

• Well I may as well moan to your guys as none of my non-running colleagues have much interest.  News update on the ankle - ran this morning, managed a mile and in lots of pain and had to stop and walk home.  Walking now has pain, stairs impossible!  Looks like Edinburgh is a no no - got until next Thursday to decide whether to do it (as that's when I would need to pay for accomodation).  Physio#s advice - cross train and anti imflmatory's!  So annoying!  You can probably all relate - when you've trained for so long and have something on the horizon, it suddenly disappearing is horrible.  Still may have to listen to the body on this one.  Most depressing thing for me is that the way the pain is, can't imagine being able to do any mileage anytime soon (although may be prematurely doom mongering!)

Would be a typically cliched awful Monday were it not Tuesday!!!!

• P.S  THe ankle problem has been diagnosed as Archilles Tendinopathy - if anyone has any experience of this, any advice would be welcome.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Jase - I've not got any experience with it - but wish you all of the best with the recovery!

• Thanks Emmy.

And thus comes forth the eternal quandary that is dominating my thoughts right now - to run or not to run!!!!  Drug it up maybe.....get through....oh I don't know! image

• A bit jase yes.

Your achillies is permanently wearing/repairing itself but there can be a point where the damage outstrips the repair rate and tendonopathy ensues.  Physio should give you a good deal of eccentric calf and tendon strengthening exercises.  It's a fairly chronic condition and it won't get better overnight but it is fixable.

Could be down to change in style, mileage, heel height, even going barefoot a lot.

I'd scrap Edinburgh and have a month to concentrate on getting the healing process well under way before Berlin training starts.

• Thanks DLR.  I'll be honest, my mood about the whole thing is changing fleetingly.  But I think deep down I suspect I will scrap Edinburgh.  If I had to pick between the two, Berlin is more important to me.  Although having said that, I've got until next Thursday to make my decision, so will cross train and see how it feels.  But I probably just need to make sure I listen to my body.

Btw - apologies - I'm really not normally this me me me - just the bloody injury is all I'm thinking about at the moment (I'm sure you can relate).  Part of me thinks - and I exaggerate a touch of course - that I'd have been better breaking something as then I categorically would know I can't do it.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Jase - we've all had injuries. We've all moaned on the forum about it (done just that on the Paris forum 2 mins ago). It's not me, me, me - it's runners talking, understanding, sympathising and giving valid support and advice.

It's what we do - we're runners

• Thanks Orbutt - just me being worried what with being a newbie to all this forum malarky image

Glad you can relate to feeling the need to moan!  I've been in a proper foul mood about it all day (well kinda) and my non running colleagues just don't get it.    Think I am going to look at the Bristol Stool Chart to cheer myself up image

What injury did you have Orbutt?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Jase - We all get annoyed and need to vent. My current issue is a huge blister on the bottom of my footimage

The thing about races is you need to look at the bigger picture: is it worth injuring yourself and possibly not running for 6 months/long period of time? If the answer is yes - consider doing it.

For me, any physio that tells you to dose up on painkillers and run it is a bit weird for me. Everyone that I have gone to has either given me exercises, advice or treatment (e.g. RICE, ice and then heat etc).

Shall we set up an injury bench for Berlin like we had in Paris?

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Emmy - bring back the bench! Seemed to do the trick for Paris image

Jase - I've got a shopping related calf strain. Dashing around town so as not to miss my bus, I managed to pull my calf image

Emmy's got the blister from hell. How did she get it? Only running 3 marathons in 3 days !!!!!! Tough as they come, our Emmy

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Orbutt wrote (see)

Emmy - bring back the bench! Seemed to do the trick for Paris image

Jase - I've got a shopping related calf strain. Dashing around town so as not to miss my bus, I managed to pull my calf image

Emmy's got the blister from hell. How did she get it? Only running 3 marathons in 3 days !!!!!! Tough as they come, our Emmy

*pulls up a bench*. OK, come and have a seat! image

Orbutt - To be honest; I much prefer talking to the running community about the treble than 'normal' people who accuse me of being crazy and reckless!

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Ahhhhh....that's better. So, tell me. What exactly is a quadzilla? image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

oh the bench.  I know it well!  Have had PF, back problems, knee ligament issues and weird calf/hamstring thing over my running time.  I didn't take the PF seriously and was out for a year so...

Jase - if I was you I'd scrap edinburgh and get a new physio.  There's a few on the paris forum from edinburgh way...they might know a trusted physio... http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/paris-marathon-2013/203790-844.html I can ask for you if you're too shy but we're super friendly over there...sometimes a little too friendlyimage

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Yep... Definitely too friendly. I'm sure that they've seen parts of me that they wish they hadnt!

Orbutt - um.... 4in4 but I'm not as crazy as these 10in10 peopleimage

• Holy Moly its picking up in here.......

I don't want to be on the 'bench' again.........spent long enough there this past year - pulled hammie, knackered back, unexplainable illness, then illness explained - appendicitis.......Surely my bad luck is running out!!!image

Emmy - I bet you are really!!image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)

hee hee hee. +1 on that comment.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Radar Sal wrote (see)
    kaz1 wrote (see)

I'll not lie. i have considered the Irish 10in10 but that's not for a few years yetimage 

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    Emmy H wrote (see)
    Radar Sal wrote (see)
    kaz1 wrote (see)

I'll not lie. i have considered the Irish 10in10 but that's not for a few years yetimage 

yup, you're a mad woman!!

• Am just glad there is someone madder than me!!!image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Well...kinda but in a different way...;)

• Jase, hope ur injury gets better quick. I know how u feel as I had bad shin splints last oct. very painful and I had to listen to my body and completely rest before slow ease back. My advice for what its worth is rest and let the body heal.

did my first track session of the season with running club tonight. OMG it was painfull. 200, 300, 400, 600, 700, 800, 700, 600, 500, 400,300,200 drills and I felt every bit I ran. Legs feeling tiered now so a rest day for me tomorrow (if u call a day at work rest day!!into my first 10k race in 2 weeks!!!!