ASICS Target 26.2 - 2013

Comments

• jenfjenf ✭✭✭

HI guys! sorry, I'm not posting much at the mo. Work stress image. I will be back!!!

• Morning everyone,

You'll all be in bed or out running- I have the joys of two boys who woke up far too early... Also going to see if I can get out later as have the small issue of 'Lads v Dads' football against the under-8's team this morning. Is it wrong to want to beat them??

Tigger- is your Mum OK? Hopefully recovering from the surgery? Which park run did you do? I wondered about Chester too, but then decided for overseas trip to Cologne. Fancy that instead?

sarah osborne wrote (see)

Congrats clive on being allowed to do the cologne marathon, I am actually quite jealous. What time will you be aiming for there, have you decided yet?

In terms of time, I would love 3:15 but anything sub 3:20 would be great. It will depend on my training though. I should try to get my half time down (1:35) too.

DS- hope the last long run went well, and settling down for the run in

• Morning Malcs.. I hope you manage to get all your work done and you get to chill out for some of this bank holiday.

My best half so far was at barcelona which was 1;33 and about 30 secs, so not far infront of you, although I did walk for most of the day the day before and ran 0.12 miles too much. Im hoping that this will make knocking those 3.5 minutes off a little easier! image

Initially I was going to try to go for a PB at shef half next sunday but im not sure now whether to race it or just take it as a training run. I have a race on wednesday, but that is only 5 miles so hopefully it shouldnt tire the legs out too much, but im still not sure how they will feel running around 13 miles only 3 weeks after london (and in the warmer weather).

• Hi Tigger, i hope your mum is ok and recovering quickly.

I think Chester marathon sounds lovely, if I wasnt running York I would be tempted, either that or loch ness.

Whats your half next week?

Congrats on your first park run. It sounds like you enjoyed it despite the hills.

Ive been thinking about TR24 and have scheduled it in to my training plan for York marathon.....with that in mind im wondering if I can do 2 laps on the saturday and 2 laps on the sunday to make up my weekly milage...this is providing no one has any objections? Have you heard anything from Indy at all, or can we assume he isnt taking part any more?

• Morning jen, hope your still managing to fit some runs in and work gets better,x

• Clive Kelty wrote (see)

Morning everyone,

You'll all be in bed or out running- I have the joys of two boys who woke up far too early... Also going to see if I can get out later as have the small issue of 'Lads v Dads' football against the under-8's team this morning. Is it wrong to want to beat them??

In terms of time, I would love 3:15 but anything sub 3:20 would be great. It will depend on my training though. I should try to get my half time down (1:35) too.

Morning Clive. I dont even have children to blame for my early awakening. I got up at 7:45 despite having no reason to wake up early, not going to bed until 1am and spending all day yesterday either driving to and from the lakes or walking up/down a mountain!

Hahaha...its not wrong at all....will toughen them up and make them try harder, people have to get use to loosing, even if they are only kids image

Im trying to work on my half time too - think I need a sub 1:30, then I will be happy with trying to achieve a sub 3;15 in york. Do you have any halfs planned?

• Hey guys think my mum i doing ok.....well apart from feeling like her insides have been riped apart...oh yes sorry forgot she has!!!

Clive i would love to go abroad for a marathon but as we don't even go on holiday abroad because of the dogs I can only dream about a marathon!

Chester is looking very likely! As for the parkrun it was Darley Park, it has two shocking steep hills but fab never the less! I may not be the fastest but after a few weeks of training being all over the place I was more than pleased with 5th lady and 3rd in my age group!

As for TR24 I will do whatever is it better to go with a plan of who is doing what and when? Sadly no word from Indy!! as we can have up to 8 i will keep his name on the team but recon we could do with more member's! Any lurkers on here want to join us?

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Tigger - good to hear your mum is doing ok. I'm sure it's difficult to feel great when you've been through all that. Hope she's doing even better soon.

Great to hear your Chester option is looking more likely. It'll be so much better having a whole group of us training for races around the same time.

And well done on your placings btw. 5th lady and 3rd for age is mighty impressive!

I'm sure Indy will be back at some point. I just hope he comes back with a fixed knee.

Jen - I know the feeling. Look forward to your full return soon!

Sarah - thanks but it looks like it'll be like this for another 2 weeks. At least I'm getting some running in for sanity. Nice 8 miles through the nature reserve. Longest since race day. Starting to feel back to normal now.

I reckon you're faster than 1:33 now. It's a tough call for next week. You seem to recover well so you may be fine to race it. I think only you can know that one. 

4 Laps at TR24 is a nice number. Make sure everyone does one in the night, it is just brilliant - even at 3am, trust me you'll love it (unlesss of course you just did a lap at 2am of course image)

Clive - lads vs dads footy? Sounds brilliant. And of course you go all out and smash them, what else were you thinking? There will come a day when you won't have a choice but to accept a good thumping so enjoy the superiority while you have the chance! image

Might try that with our mini rugby. Once they reach Secondary school I reckon they are fair game. Touch obviously - don't want any broken bones or court cases image

DS2 - hope the weekend's final long runs are done and you are ready for race week!

Reg - it's a bank holiday and you work for a bank so I assume you're making the most of it? 

Ady - did you get that Comrades long run in over the weekend? How did it go?

• Green & White Tigger wrote (see)

Hey guys think my mum i doing ok.....well apart from feeling like her insides have been riped apart...oh yes sorry forgot she has!!!

Chester is looking very likely! As for the parkrun it was Darley Park, it has two shocking steep hills but fab never the less! I may not be the fastest but after a few weeks of training being all over the place I was more than pleased with 5th lady and 3rd in my age group!

As for TR24 I will do whatever is it better to go with a plan of who is doing what and when? Sadly no word from Indy!! as we can have up to 8 i will keep his name on the team but recon we could do with more member's! Any lurkers on here want to join us?

Glad to hear that your mum is on the road to recovery.

I can asked some other people from my club if they fancy it...I should see them on wednesday. I tried to just stick to the people I knew well, but if we are struggling for numbers, I can ask some of the others. Do we need two more people?

A huge congrats, 3rd in your category is excellent, especially when your training hasnt been going quite to plan.

• Malcs wrote (see)

Sarah - thanks but it looks like it'll be like this for another 2 weeks. At least I'm getting some running in for sanity. Nice 8 miles through the nature reserve. Longest since race day. Starting to feel back to normal now.

I reckon you're faster than 1:33 now. It's a tough call for next week. You seem to recover well so you may be fine to race it. I think only you can know that one. 

4 Laps at TR24 is a nice number. Make sure everyone does one in the night, it is just brilliant - even at 3am, trust me you'll love it (unlesss of course you just did a lap at 2am of course image)

Glad to hear that your starting to feel back to normal and you got what sounds like a lovely 8 miles in this weekend. Hope the busy 2 weeks flies by and you get plenty of runs in to keep you sane.

Thankyou...I do hope so...suppose next sunday will tell image feeling nervous now...think its because its in my home town!

I might be drunk at 3 am though!!image

• Evening all........I've been away all weekend and only now having the chance to catch up on the forum.........I'll catch up properly tomorrow image

It was the 3 Forts Marathon yesterday and spent the Bank Holiday down on the South Coast with Mrs. Shady Ady. Marathons are getting more and more expensive now that Mrs. Shady Ady gets a weekend away out of it as well!

Definitely one of the hardest marathons I've done - plenty of tough hills and slightly longer than a marathon at 27.1 miles. The plan was to practice Comrades pacing at 10m/m, but managed to finish in 4hrs 24mins, so a little quicker than my target. Very happy with that, especially as I was still feeling good at the end and nowhere near as exhausted as I was after Paris. Whether I could have turned around and done exactly the same again is another story. It's definitely given me a bit more confidence.

Well, back to making lunch, ironing shirts and getting ready to deal with increased stress levels now..............early start for work tomorrow! image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Been away and no internet access so sorry for not contributing!

Tigger - good to see your mum is on the mend. It is such a stressful time when parents are going through this kind of thing. Thank god for running!!!

Malcs/Sarah/Clive/Ady - I have indeed been taking things quite easy. I decided I didn't need to do 13 on Sunday considering that I'd run 17 at 7:43mm on Tuesday!!!! So just a couple of turbo trainier bike rides over the weekend and a tempo 6 miler yesterday. Chose the hiottest part of the day to do it and ran a very hilly route so a good last effort at 7:16mm average.

Legs felt the best they have felt all year so maybe the taper is working.

I wish I was in your collective shoes - all done and dusted. Trying not to think too much about the weather because I can't control that but it is looking like it may be pretty warm.

Just want it to be Sunday now!

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

It's not that I'm obsessed or anything, but.........................just looked at the weather forecast .............again...........and now looking much more favourable.

Obviously it will change 10 times between now and Sunday but I'd take 11-12 degrees and a bit overcast!

• Hi All, as Malcs says as I work for a Bank I have been doing nothing! Well apart from Family time, 18 mile bike ride, short runs and bloody shopping!!!!

DS2 - Weather will be fine, you watch. The SLaMM is on September 7th Saturday. Is a good run, with a few hills chucked in for good.

Ady - Good running sir, but most worrying is the last sentence about something to do with an Iron. What is it and does it improve your running?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Reg - ha ha. Shopping & ironing.....aargh! Luckily now Mrs DS2 has three teenage daughters to take with her my shopping expeditions are thankfully diminishing. Ironing - I did iron a couple of work shirts the other week but Mrs DS2 said it was so painful to watch she would rather do it herselfimage

Sorry Ady - I forgot to say what an amazing run so soon after Paris and sounding almost effortless! Looking good for Comradesimage

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ady - very nice going sir. I really enjoyed my 8 miles on Monday but the thought of doing a marathon makes me feel decidedly ill. I really don't think I do heat well. When it's cold I really like going out but when the sun is out I feel so lethargic.

Reg - I'm with you and DS2 on the iron front. My shirt PB is about 15 minutes on flattish cotton with no significant bumps or ridges.

DS2 - weather is looking to cool down by the end of the week. They can't even predict it the day before any more. Yesterday was supposed to be a scorcher but it wasn't. You can't be worrying about it. Who knows what will happen.

Sarah - have you decided whether to race it on Sunday?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Indeed Malcs! in fact I can take a virtually flat un-creased shirt and by the time I've finished it has plenty of 'hills'!

To be honest the weather looks like being cooler than the last two years even if it gets to 17 degrees! I hope it's cool but I don't intend to get too stressed about it.

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Yep - I don't want to speak too soon but the weather is looking like it could take a nice dive for you by the weekend. Could be 11-13 degrees and cloudy with a bit of rain.

My business partner used to be a pro cyclist. He was saying how they always liked there to be rain on the horizon because just before that the atmosphere becomes more oxygenated. He was cycling right on the lactic acid threshold though but I'm sure every little helps so a nice rain cloud looming over for your last 6 miles would be very handy.

It's my daughter's 8th birthday today. We've given her a white iPod touch. Will we ever see her again? Will all communication with her from now on be done via social media? Only time will tell.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

malcs - I'm certainly hoping that the weather goes that way. I'm supposed to be running on the edge of lactate as well. It does my head in to think of running like that for 26.2 miles!

We have a three storey house and one of my twins uses hers to communicate with us. Being a teenager she doesn't want to actually speak.......................have fun!

• Happy Birthday Baby Malcs!!

Are you excited yet DS2, I'v got a half on sunday and Im excited.....or is that because I have just ordered a big costco cake for after?image

I recon we should get together for a half at some point!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

It's definitely the cake Tigger image

I have cake on the brain now. Mrs Malcs made a giant Jaffa Cake as a birthday cake. Imagine it - 6 inches of orange and choc heaven!

I'm up for a reunion half mara if we can find a race and date that suits. 

DS2 - my ten (nearly eleven) year old is just hitting that teen phase now. "It's so unfair!", "Nobody loves me", "Stop goin' on about it will you".... door slam...exit... image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

How about Maidenhead early September. Fast, flat and a decent sized field. Perfect timing for our marathons in October!

• Im with Reg and Malcs..ironing....I dont even know if we have an iron. Ive learnt that if you hang clothes up for long enough the creases fall out. The few items of clothing where that doesnt happen get washed at my parents house image

Looks like your tapering is going well DS2...I hope everyone is right on the weather front...dont think I could handle a warm/hot HM.... a marathon would just be a nightmare.

Happy birthday to little Malcs.

How do you make a giant Jaffa cake Malcs...does Mrs Malcs have a recipe to share??

Im up for doing a half...just depends when it is?

Im hopefully going to race the half on sunday Malcs but I will see how I feel in the first 3 miles first. I raced my 5 miler tonight and got a new PB of 33:27 (on my watch) on a hilly course....not going to do much now between now and sunday.

What are you aiming for on sunday tigger?

• Evening everyone (oh sorry its morning- the joys of on call!)

Disappointed in all the ironing confessions- i do all my own shirts. Quite therapeutic in front of TV with a bottle of wine... Most important is doing it in the right order- collar, back, cuffs, sleeves, front and collar again. Sorry for displaying my OCD tendencies image

DS2- sounds like all going well, and hopefully you'll nail the GFA. Fingers crossed and all the confidence in you.

Malcs- Hope the birthday went well, and lots of cake/sugar consumed

Tigger- good luck for the half on Sunday- where are you doing it?

I've persuaded my friend at work to do TR, and one of the Dad's at my sons football is possibly interested too. I'll email details in next day or two as need to go home to bed.

Sarah- good luck for Sunday- what time you aiming for? Suspect near 1:30 is on horizon?

I'll also be keen for all getting together for a half, but depends on when- I'm doing Great North Run mid September as is Sarah...

Lost the football at the weekend- was good fun though 9 dads against 17 kids! We had big goals and have to say a couple of the guys were a bit serious by volleying into top corner about 5 feet above the goal keepers head then pumping the air with delight. Only drawback was tweaking my hamstring when 3 of the boys jumped on me at end. Couldnt run for a couple of days it was so sore.

Did 10 miles yesterday in midday sun- forgot what it was like to feel dehydrated after a run image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Morning Clive - personally, I like OCD inn a surgeon!!!image

Football sounds fun - apart from the bundle at the end! I know what you are saying about the dehydration. It's been such a long, hard winter I thought I'd never feel thirsty again! Hopefully, Halstead on Sunday will be 11-12 degrees and not too much sun.

I've been very fortunate to find someone looking to run the same time and likely to run the same strategy as me. I think it will help us both enormously. Intention is to set off at 7:30-7:35mm and aim for 3:17-3:18. I'm happy to use all of the extra 5 minutes I've been given for GFA but it would be nice to have a couple of minutes in hand at the end. I wouldn't mind going through halfway in 1:38ish.

My head feels good and I keep telling ,myself I'm well prepared. I think it's going to be more a mental issue than a physical one and having Debbie to run with will help.

Happy running, eating giant Jaffa cakes etc.

Sarah - another amazing run. You are flying. You definitely have a sub 3:15 in you.

• Morning All,

A belated Happy Birthday to mini Malcs, my eldest is 3 and a half and can work a iphone. "Angry Birds daddy!!" is all I get.

I had to Iron a shirt this morning. Should have got Clive 'Iron' Kelty in with that level of OCD, which like DS2 I am happy for a surgeon to have. A question Clive, are shirts supposed to have two crease lines in the sleeve?

Another PB for me last night at Yeovilton 5k Series. 22:26 I think as I stopped my watch after crossing the line. Thats a min and 10 seconds off. Had to go round again and find one of my lungs, popped out at 3k.

When is Maidenhead?

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Nice PB Reg. That's a big improvement. A 3:45 marathon should be achievable off of that with the necessary endurance work undertaken.

I think maidenhead may be the same weekend as that run we were talking about down your way! Just checked - Sunday 8 September!

Tigger - sorry, I completely missed your post. Yes, I'm pretty excited. I have a running buddy now who I've met online and looking to run the same time as me, so all being well she will get a new shiny PB and I will bag a GFA time. Enjoy the Costco cake............and the half marathon!

• I never iron! Mr Tigs has OCD and being in the military it always has to be perfect! I showed signs early on that me and the iron are NOT compatible! hehe worked in my favour I feel!

Clive - Good work on recruiting for TR just let me know!! Oh and I'm doing the Bosworth Half.....of course I should be in just slightly over 1hr 30mins....... likely only if I get a lift!!!! image

Sarah - good luck on Sunday buddy!! I'll have an extra slice of cake and think of you!!

Well I'm up for Maidenshead... but if everyone is booked up we could always look for a Spring half seeing as surely no one has booked anything for next year yet??

Had a fab speed session this morning! I took the dogs, as Maddie the greyhound is like my shadow she was totally not impressed!! gave up in the end and sat in the middle of the cricket pitch I was looping! and reg the beagle only nearly legged me up once and loved it! as for Buster the pavement special he just did his own thing!! Saying that it was still far more civilised than my daughters running club after school!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Thanks for the birthday good wishes. The party is tomorrow which we're having at home for the first time in years. I may not survive.

Sarah - well done on the PB! Here's a slice of jaffa cake as a reward image I believe it's just a viennese sponge then a layer of set orange jelly and melted chocolate. Quite simple. I could have probably made it myself (yeah right).

/members/images/448713/Gallery/cake_slice.png

Reg - well done of your PB too. No cake for you I'm afraid, Sarah got the last slice, sorry. Did you locate that lost lung? image

Tigger - could you get the dogs to do something useful while they are just sitting there - maybe hold a stopwatch and call out your splits as you go round?

Clive - truly gutted about the footy. You will never hear the end of it. I hope your hamstring is feeling better. 

Nice work on the recruitment. It won't be long now until TR24 is upon us!

DS2 - I expect the carbo load is in full swing now? Everything calm and uner control I hope. Just two days. Not long now.

• Hi Clive...with the exception of your hamstring, your football match sounded great fun...and you had a good excuse for not winning 9 vs 17 !!! Glad your legs recovered now and you managed a good medium length run.

I would like to aim for about 1:31 ish I think, around 7 min/mls but we will see as the longest run I have done since london is only 10 miles last week. Im just hoping ive still got some endurance in my legs from VLM, and not any tiredness!

Ive found one, possibly two people for TR24 too. Ive told the second person that im waiting to hear back from you to see whether we still have a space.