Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• B2B - just checked the blog image can you get someone to run in front of you with a block of knitted cheese?  Great cause though, my grandma had AD.

x G

• Back2basicsBack2basics ✭✭✭

Gammineez - how did you foot feel after? Knitted cheese, ha ha ha brilliant! Or someone dressed as a massive bit of cheese! image My nan has dementia, I know its not the same thing but same ball park.

3:30 - oh really? If you remember what is was post a link please I would love to read it.

Just Run - closing in on 150 for the year....go go go!

ha ha ha I just noticed how not one of us even acknowledged the spam pfffttt ha ha ha

• Sorry about your nan.  I don't think the primary diagnosis really matters that much, all of those progressive, degenerative disorders are pretty terrible.  It's hard watching someone close to you experiencing them.

I like the idea of a knitted toy clocking up great times and loads of mileage in various races, like a knitted baton image

my foot felt ok post run yesterday, today, not so good.  Both ankles felt quite weak and unstable as I ran (but that might be because I put my old shoes back on, have been wearing my vivobarefoots for awhile now) Now the pain has moved from the top of my foot to the toe joints, mainly my big toe.  It only hurts in certain positions, like walking downstairs or when I had to break suddenly in the car.

will give it a few days good rest and start again.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

We are currently a little worried about my Mum, but at this stage we don't know if she is just suffering from a fading memory or some form of dementia - not sure either if my Dad knows more than he has let on as he said she won't get any better - but even at 79 he is not the type to ask for help - time will tell I guess. 

Like the mice idea B2B that will be a well travelled mouse.

Did a 4 mile tempo run this morning - am dreading the 10 miles tomorrow (although I have done one this year)  AM going to run a loop that I have been meaning to run for a couple of years now - part of it runs along beside a busy road with no path but other than all quiet country lanse and it is quite an undulating before running back along the sea front.

• Grendel - sorry to here about your mum. My father in law has it quite bad and its not a nice thing to witness

B2B sorry cant be anymore help, I think it was a knitted teddy or something runners used to hand it round all over the world to take wit them on race. Really cant remember where I read about it now

Seems we all know someone with some kind of dementia. Its a tough thing to watch as Gammineez has said. My nan has got to the point where she doesnt really recognise us anymore. I havnt really gone to visit properly for about 4 years now as it seems to hinder and stress her out more than help. My mum, auntie and sister go regularly but still she has a tough time remembering them and sometimes just ignores them completely. Im just really glad that she has the support of the care home that she is in for her own safety.

I shall do some research 3:30 and see what I can find!

I really like the idea of a well travelled object, ive seen lots of things like sisters who take a picture together ever year for like 36 years or something so you can see them over the ages!

Grendel you got the 3000th post!! imageimageimageimage

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

600 miles and 3000th post - what a week eh?

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

image Well done Grendel........

B2B.....what spam? image

• Blokes been round got all my old date back I have seen for years so just because I can heres a list of my marathon exploits -

Londons

94 - 3.57

95 3.43

96 3.59

97 - 4.02

98 -  3.57

99 -  3.43

2001 - 3.56

2003 -  3.56

2004 - 3.53

2006 - 3.54

Dublin 2000 - 4.13

All in all I have done 91 races of various distance

Sorrty to bore you but I am so happy having tot this data back !!

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

You've done far more marathons than me - 3:30 will have to have a look back at my medals and work them out as I lost all my data.

wow thats great going 3:30! After my ultra I might try and bring my mara time down to sub 4. Ive only done the one and it was 4.45.46

• B2B go for it we can work at that together. Whens the Ultra ?

Grendel - look forward to your list. - I have made sure I backed the data up this time. Computer geek mentioned something about saving it in a cloud ? Last time I had this data it was backed up on a floppy disc !!

• Well, that was an adventure absolutely bucketing it down in Helensburgh, but as my lady wife once said "if you don't go out in the rain in Scotland you will never go out"

So galvanised by those wise words the running tights jacket and FLM 2006 cap came out and off I went - running back up the main drag was like running up a river water was running over the top of my shoes. !! Still another 4 bagged - only my second 4 of the comeback !! Time : 42:13

2013 - 51.2 That's half a century not out

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Here you go 3:30

London 87 - 3:16

Malta 88 - 2:56

Berlin 88 - DNF

London 89 - 2:41

London 92 - 2:55

London 94 - 2:56

Harlow 95 DNF

London 96 2:54

London 98 3:03 image

The last one was an absolute disaster - I was looking to run 2:36 - missed the target by a long way!!!

• Grendel

Some very impressive times there mate - respectimage

Thnking about doing another one ? b2b looks up for it and I am but mine will need to be 2015 I think. As I said previously if I do another one want to be well prepared to give it my best shot

• Just a wimpy 2.2 for me today - off to Ibrox for footie

It's on the 18th 3:30

Wow great times Grendel! 

maybe we should work towards doing one together? 

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

3:30 - I did do the entry for London - but would perhaps like to just trot round, but not in flip flops!!!! Just to enjoy it!!!!

10 for me today very slow just to get round - averaged 10:03 so trying to do the B2B shuffle - quite hilly too as I went up off the coast inland a bit - although I am conscious that hilly in Essex is different to where some of you guys run!!!!

Are you a Rangers man 3:30 - if so are they going to go through the divisions

Ha ha ha the b2b shuffle image though the 10m/m is a little quick image

• Grendel

Yes mate got season ticket at Ibrox - good day today. Yes in SFL2 next season although 11 teams have resigned from SFL (or so being reported) so possibility could be SPL2 next year but nothing certain has been said as yet

A bit surreal at times !!

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Morning gents....Nice easy 6 miles this morning @ 10:11 pace so another B2B shuffler here!

A hilly course too, and none of those Essex hills around here Grendelimage One of the hills, although very short, brought me to a walk, hands on thighs and staring at the ground in front until I reached the top.

Some very impressive marathon times listed there, and although time wise a little beyond me very inspiring and interesting to see how addictive the marathon became for you both, going back year after year. It must have been a huge part of your lives.

My canal 'mini marathon', in which I planned to run the 11 mile length out and back is a non starter as part of the tow path is completely closed about half way along and any detour will take in a dangerous section of road.

With this in mind and the fact £5million  has been pledged to the scheme another target is required. I am running my local (Killerton) park run in a few weeks time and I have found three 10k races in July/August to choose from. Need a race to target and keep me focused.

Month - 13.57

2013 - 141.23

• Just Run

Mate, I became obsessed but unfortunately not enough to get my 3.30 - I took it for granted and regret it big time

I am enjoying running again and feel so much better in my everyday life for getting back into it - and you guys I have to thank for that.

So hope I can get back to doing another one

• morning all!

very impressive list of marathons image

JR Killerton is my local park run too, although I still haven't actually managed to get there for 9.30.  What are the local 10ks?  Now I have decided not to run the Blackdeath next week, I have the half marathon in oct and another Rock Solid in Aug.  but, I'd like a regular 10k to aim for in the interim.  I was thinking the Kent trailblazer but if there's a good one more locally.....

Ran a 5k, nice and easy, toot still you happy but not a 4/10.  Beautiful run though..

happy bank holiday everyone

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Just Run, it was a huge part of my life, just about every not workin moment was running - training, reading about running - nowhere near that bad now, BUT I enjoyed it and did some times I never thought I would - The Harlow DNF was purely because I didn't fancy a second lap of Harlow!!!!

Oh well got my 10 in on Saturday morning and followed that up with a 6 Sunday morning and then 3 yesterday and today - Monday should have been a rest day BUT it was such a beautiful morning I decided to go out anyway.

Happy days

• Well the suns shining in Helensburgh hope it stays this way until 4.30

Should you get in London Grendel you seem to have a good base there - wish I could mange the 6 let alone 10 !!

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

You will do 3:30 it has taken me nearly 2 and a half years to get there.

• Tough tonight !!

Been running the course with THAT hill. OK going down but a bugger coming back up

Normally I run about 90 sec negative splits (that's right isn't it slower in 2nd half?) but tonight I ran 19:33 and 21:47. Was out about 4.30 and it was roasting hottest day of year so far I would say I don't like running in the heat.

Blimey - just checked and its a PB for the course by 15 secs !!

Felt rubbish for the last few days so had a rest.

Couldn't take it anymore last night so went out for a 5.5 mile around the lake. I still feel pretty rubbish but I also don't feel like I did anything so that must mean something right?

I am going to keep a track under my yearly miles of "Milo miles" till October when he will be joining the mile of mice. You can follow his progress on Twitter #milomiles if you want to. image

Right promo hat off! image

Ah what I forgot to add about last nights run was it was....wait...gather round...shhh, shhh, don't tell anyone....in shoes!!! image

I picked up a pair of New Balance 110 as a possible back up shoe for the NDW50, turns out the are a 4mm drop and not zero as they look in your hand but testing is being done and I shall blog soon! (ok promo hat was just pushed to the back of my head)

2013 - 246.45

Milo miles - 5.5

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Well done 3:30 that explains the toughness of the run - and 15 seconds is 15 seconds so well done definitely going in the right direction.

Shoes eh? B2B - had a look at the New Balance 110 and they are similar to the racing flats I used to run in (I won them for having the letter of the week in Athletics Weekly many years ago) Still had them until recently but like most other memorabilia got wet and destroyed in the leaking shed incidence.

Is it Saturday week that you are running B2B, will there be anyway to follow you online?

warm up and warm down plus 6 times 3 minutes off a minute recovery this morning - felt quite tough but made the most of what appeared to be the last of the good weather for a bit as it started to rain shortly after I got home.