2013 Marathon Thread

Comments

• Congratulations NP and Mrs NP image

MG - Good running this morning

OH - Yeah, I had a feeling that get home is going to prove interesting...

---------

6.62 miles @ 9.22 ave. 156 ave HR

Pretty happy with that, seems to be signs of improvement. Ditched the original planned route, as I'm in no shape to negotiate a 7.3 mile run with about 400ft of climbing without my HR monitor exploding. So opted for a pancake flat route instead.

Might go for a swim or something later

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Congratulation NP image

SM6, nice run enjoy the swim later

MG1, glad you're feeling better wel done with the 8

Sazzle, cbo, welcome to the thread

Hope it is not too hot today for Tek

• Night NurseNight Nurse ✭✭✭

Congratulations NP and Anita..you make a lovely couple image..that wedding sounds perfect, how romantic.

Well just woke up and have nothing better to do till I come round properly, so stalking some MK runners on the live results..

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Bad news.  Way too hot at 22C.  Didn't feel right from the off, HR too high, red faced after 2 miles, got dropped by the 3:30 train after about 9 miles.  Vision went blurry at mile 12 so I stopped and got taken back by St Johns.  DNF image

• Tek, chin up mate. Hopefully you will be right again soon and can/will smash it !!

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

oh crap, not good mate hope you're feeling better, I'm absolutely gutted for you image

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

So sorry to hear that Teknik, marathons are harsh when things are not right on the day, but you'll be back. Autumn target to focus on now and all the spring training is in the bank. I hope you feel better soon.

F

• goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭

Right I have another 30 spaces available in the Giants Head Marathon we have opened it up for a bit longer

29th June beer, hog roast RW form support team the works

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=72736&ms=

Tek, In that heat I am not surpirsed we have trained through a freezing winter and we arent used to it...I was stalking you along with a couple of others of the P&D thread I guessed it had gone wrong for you I lost you at 10k..shit happens ...better to DNF early and not completely knacker yourself for weeks/months by dragging it out for the the full 26.2.. Rest well put it behind you....now onwards and upwards...x

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Tek- hard luck, mate image Must have been tough in that temperature. Definitely made the wise choice as your recovery will be much quicker. Plenty of people have raced hard in hot conditions, only to never run the distance again....

• Tek - Gutted to hear that, you deserved better than that mateimage NN is right though, at least you didn't run yourself into the ground trying to do something that wasn't going to happen.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

I knew it was going to be tough today from my pounding HR in  the warm up-- and it was! Not an easy course and still recovering from the mara no doubt, but only 7 seconds quicker today than I was in my local trail parkrun 2 weeks before London! image Severe case of CBA after 2m... Lol! Still, a good day as my boy ran his first run in the Y1 funrun image I made my time 18.54

• Disapointed for you Tek, echo what everyone else has already said image 

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Well done to you and your lad Jason.

Congratulations to NP and Anita image it sounds idyllic. Look forward to seeing the photos and so is my sister!

OH hope the weather has cleared with you.

Stuart and MG1 nice running this morning. 5 miles easy for me, a nice day here. Grass cutting again image now weeding. image

F

MG1/SM6 nice relaxed bank holiday  runs there, hope you have had a nice day and made the most of the sun.

OH did the mist clear? sounds like a different world up there sometimes, beautiful but..colder and wetter windier and everything else compared to here..(Southern softie that I am )image

Jason great running , its still early days to be racing !! well done to your son too.

Fiona..SNAP weeding here too,car washing done also no running though, still being very sensible and having a rest day, I was tempted to do an easy 4 but have just run 3 days on the trot with no problems and I want to keep it that way..I can feel it very occasionally if I misplace my footing, but its not affecting my gait/pace. So stretching regularly (unheard of for me I am ashamed to say) but stretching will now become part of my routine..

• macemace ✭✭✭

Tek - sorry to hear this. I had a look at the temperature earlier today and feared for you. I'm starting to think that autumn marathons is the way to go. 

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

(((Tek)))

Hope you recover quickly.

--------

Nice warm day down here.  Spent an hour in traffic to get to the beach this afternoon - would usually take about 30-40 min.

• Tek - sorry to hear today's news. I too would have been really struggling at that heat (there has been toe rare day in Orkney ...). Probably the right decision. One of our local experienced runners collapsed a few hundred yards from the finish line in Hoy HM a few years ago. She remembers nothing further until the hospital bed/IVI - the journey to the hospital included a half hour ferry journey too.
    Rest, regroup, learn and come back stronger

Weather did improve with us. image
    Coolish but dry easy 6 miles this morning followed by a pleasant afternoon in the kayak (4.7nm) round Rose Ness and along by/though the sea caves back to Dingieshowe. Mist had lifted and temperature crept (just) into double figures.
    Three happy paddlersimageimageimage

NN not always colder - we had none of your snow, however summers never get very hot (it's an unusual day to get over 20C). + still days feel really odd. However lots of sky and long summer days make up for lack of scorching heat.

OH that sounds like a perfect bank holiday !! I am not actually a fan of scorching heat..unless on holiday when I can just relax..as for the snow, well we didnt actually have any here (mid Devon except up on the moors )..just lots of freezing temperatures and plenty of rain !! And I am hoping for a cool summer as training for Abingdon.

HM4 its always best to stay at home on bank hols..image unless you like spending hours in traffic jams..

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Thanks peeps will put a few photos up on my return later in the week.

Teknik look at all the positives mate, legs not fecked from today, still lots of miles in the bank, you will be able to get back into the running faster than you thought, there are lots of other marathons in front of you. Put today behind you mate and look forward, it'abbot only the good days that make us strong but the bad days as well.

• Mace - I think your right on that one. The weather is just too damn unpredictable in spring. Last years Edinburgh mara fell on the hottest weekend of the year up here. I don't think we had any sun all year up til the week of the race. At least with an autumn marathon, you should at least get some chance of running in a bit of sun before.

OH - Glad you managed to get out.

Fiona - Nice run yesterday

Jason - Well done on the 5k, and well done to your son tooimage

-----------

Gym and cycle today. Looks like its gonna be a cracking day here, shame I'm going back to bed for my nightshift soonimage

45-60 min easy run tomorrow.

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

NN,

Already made that mental note image!

---------

Well done on everyone's training & weekend races.  No running for me today despite wanting to get out & having near perfect weather as I've got a cold again!  I'd only just rid of the other one.

• Hi there looking for advice been offered the chance of a marathon place at the end May, the longest I've ever run is 18 miles usually do one long run a week, one shorter one and play football twice a week is this enough to even think about taking part in my first marathon

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

NN I could really feel the effect of yesterday's gardening in the legs today! image Wise of you to have a rest day, I may take tomorrow off....

Teknik I hope all is well with you today, as others say an autumn or even an early spring marathon could be an option?

HM4 I hope the cold clears up. I find a run helps clear the tubes but then I'm lucky as I don't get chest colds.

First time at the running group tonight since March - felt like the new girl again! Can't believe I did 6.92 miles image but I can sort that out on the next run! image Stewart I thought I saw you at the end and gave you a wave but I may have waved to an alarmed stranger!!

F

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

NP, can't wait to see the picks enjoy the rest of your holiday image

SM6, nice cross training, enjoy the run tomorrow

HM, hope the cold isn't too bad

Fiona, I seen you coming back in at the archive centre, I was taking a group through some cool down stretches black top blue shorts

Craig,  FWIW I wouldn't run one with so little training, I ran my first a few weeks ago with approx. 700 miles in training and I struggled, 

-----------------------------------

3 mile group tonight, and it was a slow one, was thinking about going out again afterwards but I had a CBA attack and went home image

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Craig I agree with Stewart unless you are happy to take walking breaks and just get round.

Stewart yes, you looked busy! image Good of you to take the slower folks out, it was a nice night for it and a lot of new faces since I was last there.

F

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Probably done me some good to slow it down, will get out tomorrow for a longer run 8 - 10 miles

Brighton marathon on sky sports

• macemace ✭✭✭

Quick read back and i noticed that NP is due a round of applause ... CONGRATS image

Hope you're ok Tek - any chance of getting a Mara in soon ??

Stewart - i watched the Brighton highlights the week after the race ... someone was being interviewed at the finish and missed me by about 20 seconds image

Slowly getting back into it here, with 9M this morning.

Another new local parkrun ( Pegwell Bay) has it's trial tonight so i'll pop along to that, have a jog round and put my name down for some volunteering i think.

Happy training all image

• NOTTINGHAM 29th September 2013 - let's get the numbers up!

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NP congratulations imageimage

Still feeling mighty sorry for myself.  Had an eye on running Halstead this Sunday as the weather has turned cooler here. Legs still feel like lead despite only running 12 out of 26 on Monday. I went for a run around the park and my HR is still very high, so I must have caught the wife's bug - she's been in bed for 2 days. That would explain Monday...

Decision made.  Back to base training for a long build for Frankfurt.

Thanks for all the kind words peeps. image