Anyone done a marathon with a baby?

Am I mad to even consider this?! Has anyone run a marathon with their baby in a pushchair? I'd love to, but just don't knowing its possible - would she be ok strapped in for all that time? What would I do about stopping to change her/feed her etc?

I have a proper running pushchair and she comes with me on all my runs, so I just like the idea of us doing a marathon together, but is it just a silly idea?!

Comments

• Seems silly to me. Most marathons don't allow wheeled vehicles in it.

And is it fair for your baby ? Out for three or four hours in whatever conditions ?

By all means run with her but not in competition i think - especially not a marathon.
  • I agree with cougie on this one image

Doesn't seem very fair on the little one If I'm honest

• Flat FootedFlat Footed ✭✭✭

I've run several 10ks with my daughter in the baby jogger but not anything longer as she gets arsey and wants out, Only local races where I know the organisers let me enter with her too.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

That's a long time for baby to be in a jogger.  I remember *mout mout* (his words for come out) very well.  Like Cougie says, most marathons wouldn't allow it.

• Why oh why oh why would you ever want to?
  • Unless you're going to be keeping up with the elites, it's too long.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

And so would some of the longer training runs be, probably.

• Lovely couple did the Thames Meander with a buggy. Stopped for a few breaks, great day out and the child was loving it. I couldn't keep up with them, so they ran at a good pace.

Think that was a good marathon for that, as mostly flat on tow paths, August, so good weather and a quiet one with very friendly people, out and back course.

So, it's possible, just choose the marathon carefully and at the end of the day, you know your child and if they would enjoy it or if it is too long. Taking breaks, so the little one can have a play and move around was very sensible. 

• limperlimper ✭✭✭

Let us know, in 15 years or so, what back problems your child has developed and we'll see if we can suggest the cause.

• TimeaJTimeaJ ✭✭✭

Perhaps someone could look after your baby whilst you are running then greet you with her in the finish line for a photo together? 'Baby and Marathon Champion Mama'

• what age baby are you talking about...one that I presume could not really tell you that itr wanted out......

not sure why you would want to.......for the attention of everyone saying wow what a lovely baby...........don't quite understand the reason to do it......

you would have to stop at every cry.....and .change and feed it....if it wasn't happy.how could you get to the finish quickly........

what if it was wet or hot......

and what would the baby get out of it

• Someone on these forums recently entered the Neolithic marathon with a baby.  There were tears all the way round and tantrums after the event.  I believe it has since been sworn never to attempt it again.

Hope that helps.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    Pudge wrote (see)

Someone on these forums recently entered the Neolithic marathon with a baby.  There were tears all the way round and tantrums after the event.  I believe it has since been sworn never to attempt it again.

Hope that helps.

I just learned the neolithic  mama has entered another marathon, but is leaving the baby at home to play on the computer

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Naughty Pudge!

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭

Does Mick's son Phil count? He's done loads of marathons but then I think he enjoys them.

• What's that got to do with anything?
  • Call me selfish, but if I've paid to enter a 10k/half/marathon, I don't want someone with a pushchair taking up space and getting in the way.  I found this at a 10k I did last week - my wife nearly got shoved through the barriers at the side of the course by some clown who was trying to shortcut on a corner with his baby stroller.  Most runs I enter, there isn't really space for them (and absolutely no need).

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

i have read articles and blogs where people wanted to take someone around in a wheel chair, not a baby in a pushchair. Mostly they came up against a lot of resistance from race organisers.

You'd need to choose your race carefully.

Think Mick'n Phil are better to advise than me. They've been there, done it, written the book.

• As someone once said, I agree with Nick. Although he forgot to add selfish.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Trying not to "slam" someone I don't agree with, but struggling to find any other words than stupid, selfish, ill advised, and gently wondering what social services might think about it.

Mick N Phil is a completely different set up.