Ironman Lanzarote 2013 (3rd weekend in May?)

Comments

• The chain whip has nothing to do with bike mechanics!! image

But I'll bring a cassette key and spanner - I assume its shimano/SRAM??? When does Slag arrive?

I'll also bring a pedal spanner for those that need to fix/remove pedals for transportation.

• Metcheck's still showing the forecast as 17-18 degrees for the whole of next week.  Winds for race day southeasterly 18-20mph (which will be be mostly on our backs the last 20-30 miles)

• Lets hope it warms up a bit, 18 degrees is to cold for lounging by the pool in speedo's image

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I thought it was a chain whip that took the cassette off?

Anyway, Raf, really, I'm very edgey about this.  I am concerned that my chain and mech won't work with an 11/28 and I'll either have too much slack at one end or it be too tight at the other and cause issues with my mech.  Honestly, bring your stuff anyway, in case someone else wants it but playing with my bike so close to race day makes me uncomfortable.  If it went wrong part way around that bike course I would be devastated.  I've always trained on the cassette I have, it's not ideal for hills but it's taken me up the Tourmalet, Aubisque, around the Chiltern 100 and through the White Horse Challenge with you guys.

• Mouse, rest assured this is a very easy change and as I said regarding the 12-32 I also have, would not need that much tinkering.

I do understand your anxiety however and I will bring my cassettes anyway just in case you change your mind or some other Pirate wants to try them.

EDIT: Wanted to say the 32 may need an extra chain link but 28 should fit right in.

• I have the key, but not the secret image

Definitely with Mouse on the swapping drivetrain over once there, hence me doing mine last weekend, a bit more testing time available. I know it probably won't go wrong but...

• Cupcake. wrote (see)

I have the key, but not the secret image

Definitely with Mouse on the swapping drivetrain over once there, hence me doing mine last weekend, a bit more testing time available. I know it probably won't go wrong but...

Mmmm I understand. I do believe though that gear adjustments (cable tension and stop cocks) are a necessary knowledge (evil?) to triathletes. I got the shit kicked out of my bike in transition in Alpe D'Huez and I even had my rear derailleur really scratched. My indexing was effed up and I kept dropping gears. That made the uber hilly triathlon even more so hellish.

The rack structure is the same as in France, with back wheel racks. When you retrieve your steed in a hurry it is easy to smash the rear gear of another bike which is I guess what happened to me. I made sure I knew how to re-index by myself.

EDIT: To remove potential sexual innuendo jokes

• Weather Channel / Metcheck / WindGuru ... The last two as Barlos posted say that temperatures will be a bit lower than expected ... The first gives a more usual picture.

It is still early though but, let the mind games begin image

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

It's all starting to get rather exciting isn't it image

• Is anyone else getting that "I've forgotten something" feeling ?   ... and before Mouse pipes up i mean forgotten something other than trainingimage

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Yes, today I remembered I'd need Euros, if that helps?

• I did remember something earlier and now I have forgotten it again .....  I need to put things on the pile when I remember them!

My packing pile needs a cull image

• ...and which pirate top to wear?

• not the pink one image

So .. bring all pirate tops as they dont take up much room
    Bike shoes - choice of two
    Profile bottle?  Usually manages to cover me in whatever diluted sports drink they are offering or I poke an eye out with the straw
    Bento box needs a bit of mending as the other ones are wrong size for gels

Decisions decisions!!

• All packed!  I fly tomorrow,

Have a couple of serious bike rides planned for Friday (top hilly part of IM course), and  Sunday, (bottom windy part).  

Apart from that I am riding with the missus most days, (at her pace so nice recovery rides image

I shall swim a bit as well, and have a coupke of 30 min runs planned.

oh and my rear casette is a 11-32!!!!

Last 4 days - mostly rest image

I have a hire car so can probably shuttle people up to lasanta for the bag pickups / briefings etc etc

I suspect I have forgotton something, but no idea what.  I'll discover it when I pack my race bags image

• O.rangeCannon.... Extravalanza here I come! wrote (see)

All packed!  I fly tomorrow,

Have a couple of serious bike rides planned for Friday (top hilly part of IM course), and  Sunday, (bottom windy part).  

Apart from that I am riding with the missus most days, (at her pace so nice recovery rides image

I shall swim a bit as well, and have a coupke of 30 min runs planned.

oh and my rear casette is a 11-32!!!!

Last 4 days - mostly rest image

I have a hire car so can probably shuttle people up to lasanta for the bag pickups / briefings etc etc

I suspect I have forgotton something, but no idea what.  I'll discover it when I pack my race bags image

YOU pack a 32? Wooow, I believe it is well worth it for anybody slower than 6h on this course. The little extra weight is clearly offset by the benefits of the spinning it allows.

I have it myself but feel I would slack too much so I am taking my 11-28 instead.

• Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

9 days to go image

More PRIME numbers than not left image

• There's a lot of techy bike talk going on here!  My bike has wheels a saddle some other bits and is white.

I had to look up how to find out what numbers my bike cassette is and I will count up the teeth tonight!  I got round the Blaenavon tri on it though and if Lanza is worse than Blaenavon I'm not going.

• Hokori wrote (see)
    Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

9 days to go image

More odd numbers than even numbers left imageimage

• Iron Pingu wrote (see)

There's a lot of techy bike talk going on here!  My bike has wheels a saddle some other bits and is white.

I had to look up how to find out what numbers my bike cassette is and I will count up the teeth tonight!  I got round the Blaenavon tri on it though and if Lanza is worse than Blaenavon I'm not going.

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    Hokori wrote (see)

9 days to go image

For goodness sake, you lot infest each other with taper madness.

• M..o.use wrote (see)
    Hokori wrote (see)

9 days to go image

For goodness sake, you lot infest each other with taper madness.

There are no double digit numbers left image

• Just in case I forget to come on here in the next 4 even or 4 odd days*, I just want to wish you all the very best of luck, and I hope you have a fabuous time image  May the wind be behind you all the way. GO PIRATES! ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*which doesn't include today, of course, otherwise i'd have said 5 odd days.....

• 8 ice lollies to go image

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Alan! Alan! Alan!