Thursday 9th May 2013

Let's see if LMH knows this one, or if it's situation normal.

No training for me yesterday, but I did end up as one of the first on the scene of another car accident. Both well mangled, but just walking wounded. All air bags went off, and the driver of the Focus must have been doing 60 when he hit the Landrover. Modern cars may look like they are made from bean cans and plastic, but they certainly break up safely. 40 years ago and this little smack up would probably have seen one dead.

Hopefully I shall get some running this afternoon. I'll pack my kit.

Anyone got plans for the weekend?

Comments

• Morning

What 7 with hilly bits
    Why training day (again)
    Lyrics no

Blisters hope you're alright, it must have been a bit of a shock, though I guess with the miles you travel you may have come accross one before. Even so I imagine that it would still be a shock especially when the brain kicks in with what if's. Drive carefully and take care so we can meet up at Abo.

Had a couple of ideas to start the thread (Sympathy for the devil, New shoes) but Blisters beat me to it.

Retired my training shoes sfter 900 miles and replaced them with another pair of Asics Hyper 33's, so much more comfortable and springy.

• Morning

What: Hills x 8 with walk down recovery. Mile warm Up/Down

Why: Thurs session

Sunny morning here

Blisters: Oh dear re car accident

Back later.

• Morning. Doesn't sound pleasant Blisters - glad everyone was ok. You are correct about the lyric situation. No plans for the weekend beyond more biking and running.

Has anyone else noticed that the font when you type is now back to normal size? Hooray!

Yesterday's lyrics were Raining Again by Moby.

What:             swim test am/threshold turbo pm
    Why:              schedule
    Last hard:      21/4
    Last rest:       27/4

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    lyric - probably not, likewise didn't know yesterdays although I quite like some of Moby's stuff
    Blisters - glad it was not too ugly, and I'm sure you see more of it, but I am constantly amazed that there aren't more accidents the way some people drive.
    what - lunchtime tempo, probably just 6 miles via Buck Palace / Mall. Training the little people on the track tonight
    why - Thursdays
    last rest - week ago Saturday
    last hard - Tuesdays reps

have a great day y'all

• Younger son has his Higher Modern Studies exam from 9-12 this morning.

• Good day all.

3k swam, 6 mile ran.

Might hop up on the turbo later.

Been MIA for a few days.

Calf felt a bit tender after Sundays duo but its getting better by the day. Pain man reckons that's it was just the extra effort of a race and that it should settle. Much better now thank God!!.  #smallcowgone

As I suspected the results of Sunday's race were totally fooked up by the timing company. Feel sorry for the organisers as they really did a great job. You think that the results will be ok when you get it chipped.... not always. Its made me think again about my own 5 mile race in January - we didn't use chips and we had one problem due to two numbers getting mixed up (a problem that we would still have had with chipping!!.). I was dead set on chipping for next year, now not so sure. Probably still will as it will spare me sitting up till 4.00 AM sorting them out again!! - and if it goes wrong just blame someone else!!!!.

Blisters - seen a few of those meself - hope all ok.

LMH - All the best with the IM schedule & race. My Pain man is doing one in August - swimming is his best - was training beside him this morning - great OW practice. Its funny as all the more mature members in the pool give out endlessly about the splashing - I remind them that when people swim in water splashing is a bi-product!!

Birks - all the best to the young feller

Dustin - say hello to big Eileen for me

The modern World is a great place but has its moments, eejits, feckers & fools!!

• What: short (and final) run before CW with JS group tonight
    Why: it's that time...image

Last Hard: Monday 28
    Last rest: yesterday (hard as it was a nice evening
    Lyrics:image

Blisters - glad all were OK. Still an eye opener

• Hope it goes well for him birks.

Glad everything seems ok Paddy.

Swim swum, now trying to decide whether to take the bike out for a couple of hours before the wind gets any worse or if that's just avoiding the work on the turbo......

• 15°C here - hottest day this year for us, I think

• You need me to come and stay and bring the sun again OH!

The 45mph gusting winds convinced me that taking the bike out wasn't an option - no matter how daunting the prospect of the turbo session - and like most things it wasn't actually that bad once I got going.

• tinebeesttinebeest ✭✭✭

Not tinebeest here but stickless - long training weekend in a very windy cornwall. 18k of gorgeously varied running, inland as the coast path is Not a good idea today!

Go well all!

• ... puffins are here LM.H image

• Given the wind, the puffins may well be blown down here too.

Having started a thread with the aim of getting people to meet up, have fun, and go OW swimming, I decided that it was time to explore the outside world myself.

Following a recommendation I went to the Bristol Open Water place near the M4/M5 motorway junction. The water is 5 foot deep, and the swim course is 650m unless you follow my wake trail.

Today, it was blowing a hoolie, the temp was probably 12 degrees. With a gimp hat I was lovely and warm, but a bit constricted. So, I tried out with just a Pirate swim cap. Ice cream head for 150m. Interestingly, by the end of the second lap I was actually getting warmth and life back into my finger tips. Bizarre. Oh, and the waves were somewhat interesting...

1300m of swimming fun though, AND NO CHLORINE.

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Just a nice easy 3 miles tonight, getting ready for the half marathon on Saturday.  Been quite a light week! image

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

What: first run for a week...12 mins/2k
    Why: not been well...hopefully just about recovered now.
    Only 8 degrees here when I ran...and raining.

Lyrics: no

Stickless/Tine: thought of you when I heard that Penzance airport was closed due to the wind!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Hello.

What: 6 miles, mostly off-road

Why: new lighter fell shoe arrived (Walsh PB) and wanted to break them in as well as keeping up the training in general. Too dry to give a full assessment but felt like an improvement on the trail shoe I had.

Last hard: Monday 6th.

Last rest: Tuesday 7th.

• 7D, enjoy the Walsh PB shoes. They are classics.

After the swim, I realise that I'm sporting a love bite.

Run? Yeah, 5.6 miles at 7:30m/m. It was cold, and drizzling at 30 knots sideways. Aftre 5 miles I'd warmed up, mostly because I'd been clogging along.

• Blisters - sounds a good swim (with or without wetsuit?)
    No significant wind here to blow the puffins south!

Some dedicated running going on - for once we're not getting the wind (or rain)

8.4 this evening on a very pleasant vest and shorts evening with JS group.

... now onwards to Cape Wrath!
    (may be out of internet contact for much of next week)

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Indeed Paddy ref your last line...image

Blisters glad all are OK

What 6m Hillwork
    Why - something I need to do
    Last hard - Tonight
    Last Rest - Mon

Take care

• NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

Alehouse - hope you are feeling a bit better now.

What: 5km easy with Mae.

We have have so much rain this week.

• Lyrics? Cunningly disguised I'm afraid.

Status Quo, from 1978, an extremely popular single with deep and meaningful lyrics.

"Again and again".

There were other words utilised, but the "again" appears 73 times.