P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello acp.....it may be fairly quiet on here until people start following the schedules in June. I've just been plodding about, trying to build up to about 50 miles a week by end of May. Got a bit of an ache/niggle in my right leg, quads/glutes aching, think maybe my ITB band a bit tight so been ironing it out with a roller.

Also have gone and purchased some lightweight shoes - found some adios 2's in wide fit on adidas website so have bought them, still feel a bit tight so not sure whether to keep or send back yet.....

• Oh acp you thread killer image.  As 15West said, most of us won't be starting the plans until June (mine begins on 3rd June image).  I've got a few shorter distance races over May and just gradually increasing my mileage.

I'm also going to try and start doing some of the core strength and resistance work as described in P&D.  If I start it now, hopefully I'll be able to continue with it once the plan starts.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

acp - I think we all stormed off in a (pre-emptive) huff when we began to suspect you didn't like strides.

Tiny - I totally believe in core work now - did a 5 mile race yesterday and on the harder bits (into bastard headwind) I could feel all my stomach muscles complaining even though I actually am quite strong there. It reminds you you are using them when running even though you don't always notice it.

• Well I'm no stranger to talking to myself so nothing new there then! image

New mantra - must do core work!

Lit - just to make me feel really slow and snail-like tell us your time for the 5 mile race...?!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Oh all right. 32:20 but it was really windy.

• andrews148andrews148 ✭✭✭

I ran 3:01 off the 18week 55-70 in October last year and will follow the same plan this year with a little modification:

For the first six weeks (mesocycle 1, endurance) I'll make the Long Runs 20miles, but still with the Marathon Pace elements, where stipulated in the plan.

Looking to go Sub-3 for the first time on the Jersey Marathon 6th October.

• Great time Lit! image I'd love to run 5 miles in a time starting with 3x.xx....! And why does a tail wind never give you the same advantage in time as a head wind gives you a disadvantage?! I hate the wind! image 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Nothing like a bit of a headwind to make you feel like you're going to vomit. Looking at the splits I think the tailwind did help a bit (on miles 1 and 4) but, as you say, not to the same extent.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

Oh good another nice thread to lurk onimage

No autum Mara for me, I'm concentrating on knocking the bejaysus out of my HM time before I embark on the P&D "Sub 4 or Die" regime for next spring.

Still chuckling at whoever said "Smack the arse out of P&D" a few pages back. image

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

acp - my plan also starts 3 June and will no doubt be constantly on here then asking for advice from the experts image

Bloody hell Lit you are one speedy woman, I can only dream of those times. At the moment I am training towards the Bupa 10k at the end of May and looking to complete that in around 48 mins.

Talking of core work - I have to admit that I do 3 pilates classes a week - they are hardcore one obviously image.

yer_maj am liking your description Sub 4 or Die!!

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I'm slightly worried about the Die bit, to be honest image

• Thanks to everyone who offered advice on the training paces earlier - I agree I should be running sub-4. The only thing that has stopped me is laziness... but not this time! image

I'm actually really looking forward to getting started properly in June. We'll see how long that enthusiasm lasts though!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Someone suggested I take a peek at this thread. But, you look a bit grown up and fast for me!!

5:30 then 4:56 wanting to get down to 4:30 for my third marathon this October. My first two have been done with plans from my.asics.co.uk which have been great and done exactly what I wanted but am wondering if I need to change it up and have a bit more variety in my new plan. 

So might stick with tried n trusted but thinking about alternatives. 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Oh I've not done any real speed work. I guess I should do some park runs to get some idea of my 5k speed in feb I did 5k in 29:34 according to garmin, but haven't tried any Specific short runs since.

• First get hold of Advanced Marathoning, Pfitzinger & Douglas - whether you do the training plan or not is really is a good read for a marathon (even beginner) runner, I keep going back to it.

ISBN-13: 978-0736074605

• Booktrunk - to be honest there isn't a whole lot of what you would call speed work until fairly late in the plan. It focuses more on endurance and improving lactate threshold which is what improves marathon times. Even at your pace you would benefit from this plan. The thing probably is what sort of mileage you are doing/ did for your last marathon as this is most likely to determine whether you will manage this plan.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Yeah, my mileage is crap compared to you proper runners image 

I've only done around 700-750 miles in the 53 or so weeks since I started from never having run. So..... What sort of mileage do I need to look at upping my running upto? 

• Well they suggest at least 25 miles a week to do the up to 55 per week plan. Although personally I think it would be better if you were doing a bit more. I was doing 35-40 miles a week. Between now and the plan starting I would concentrate on trying to get your miles up with easy running.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Also advanced marathoning anyone got the kindle edition is that ok or are there any tables that look horrible on the kindle?

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Thanks Fiona.

at least I know what I would be letting myself in for a bit more now image

• There was someone on the VLM thread who had the kindle version but I can't recall what she said about format. I have the paper version I'm afraid

• I'd imagine being as you have just run your marathon booktrunk, you must have been up past 25 miles+ a week recently?  If you weren't, your long runs were a hefty % of your weekly runs which probably is not that good for you.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Yeah, I didn't do as much as I wanted due to a dodgy knee but now that's clearing up image 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Hi booktrunk, I'd agree with Fiona that mileage is probably more important than speed when deciding if this is the right plan for you - someone on the other P&D thread just went from 5:08 to 4:19 using the up to 55 plan, so it seems to work for all paces...

I did find though that when building up the mileage (I just did the 55-70 plan for my first marathon) that I needed to spend much more time stretching and really pay attention to tight muscles than when I wasn't doing as much. Otherwise I wouldn't have got through that volume of training without injury, I don't think.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

booktrunk - like others have said if you're going to follow this plan then you have to be prepared for the amount of weekly mileage you have to do...and if you are going to use for an autumn marathon you should start building up the mileage now, slowly and surely. If following the least mileage plan (up to 55) then by early June you should be up to about 30 a week...with a weekly long run of up to about 12 miles. Then once plan starts you will be increasing the mileage every week or so and by August you are at about 55mi/wk and will then start adding more speedy stuff. This obviously takes up a lot of time, and it can feel like it takes over your life a little and will be hard work and tiring. But, the plan does work well as many here will testify, and this forum provides great support.

So, order the book and get on board...TOOT TOOT!

• +1 from me on all the comments and the effectiveness of the plans to give you a great marathon.  But as 15w says it is all consuming for 18 weeks

• Hi booktrunk.  I bought the kindle version of the book.  For 95% of it, the formatting is perfect.  However, the plans themselves, which are in table format, are teeny tiny and I need to really scrunch my eyes up to make out the number, even after zooming in!

I've now typed my plan up into excel though image

If you are impatient (like me), download the kindle version now.  If you can wait a few days, I'd get the paper version to be honest.  ALso much easier for just flicking through than the kindle.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

+1 for the paper version - it's well worth waiting a few more days

• +2 for the old fashioned book.  I know you can bookmark on the Kindle but I found the book so handy to just keep around the lounge at home with page markers in important places,  paces, heart rates, programme itself. I'd keep a photocopy of the programme at work so I could plan work and running to make sure I could fit in everything as close to plan as possible.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I keep my copy next to the toilet.