Berlin Marathon 2013

Comments

• Thanks Radar Sal - although I'm not actually from Edinburgh - I'm from Gloucestershire image Lovely part of the world, lot's of green, cider, webbed toes and siblings who are not off limits to one another image

Well last night  I was decided that I won't do Edinburgh.  And of course I've woken up this morning and not so sure.  All in all though, I'm going out for a run next Thursday (last day I can cancel my hotel for nadda) and will decide then.  DId manage an hour in the gym last night, not running, but rowing felt nothing, cross training was ok, a little pain cycling but was kinda encouraging.  Yes yes - there's a very fine line between determined and stupid image

How can anyone run more than one marathon a week!!!! Emmy H - I don't know you - but you do sound nuts.  I salute you (and anyone else who has this crazy gene)

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)

Am just glad there is someone madder than me!!!image

When things were getting tough - I thought: WWKD and then HTFU and carried on runningimage

Jase-Runner wrote (see)

How can anyone run more than one marathon a week!!!! Emmy H - I don't know you - but you do sound nuts.  I salute you (and anyone else who has this crazy gene)

Nah, it's not too bad. Look at it this way - i'm 2 days post the last marathon and i've got no aches in my legs and feel fantastic (well apart from the blisterimage).

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Jaae - I'd still post in paris. There's people from all over the show. Even some random mad women who live on the orkneys and in Belgium. 

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Harden the fudge up image

• The penny has dropped...........doh! image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Radar Sal wrote (see)

Harden the fudge up image

I love it. I've always wanted to make fudge!

• Ill defend my physio - I think she was just trying to react to my determination of doing it when suggesting painkillers etc (helps that she is fit - so I'll let her off)

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Ha ha ha. Well that's a perfectly acceptable reason for not getting a second opinion.

• I think so.  At the end of the day my ankle may collapse and lapse into ruin - but wow - what a view image

• So 20 weeks from Sunday !!! 

Getting excited yet?

I have 2 weeks holiday in June where I can run - but sporadically - so starting the 18 week plan on monday morning image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

AGF - 20 weeks image I'm already behind image

• I have decided to postpone starting my training until 12th August! 

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)

I have decided to postpone starting my training until 12th August! 

well it worked in paris!  But your not training mode is very different to us mer mortalsimage

• 20 weeks?  Dear Lord!!!!!

Jase-Runner (for some reason I've referred to myself in the third person) is now thinking 'Hell yeah - why not try Edinburgh!!!' image  Don't judge meimage

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Radar Sal wrote (see)
    kaz1 wrote (see)

I have decided to postpone starting my training until 12th August! 

well it worked in paris!  But your not training mode is very different to us mer mortalsimage

You're starting a bit early aren't you Kaz? image

I'm thinking of a marathon in early September just to warm up the legs.

Bacchus Marathon anyone?: http://www.eventstolive.co.uk/events/information/bacchus-marathon image

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

i want to do a nice half marathon a few weeks before but did not get in the GNR this year - any suggestions? Had a really sharp pain in my knee lst night just to the inside and behind the kneecap - ran through it as usual but its a little tender thsi morning, hope its nothing serious. I am starting the P&D training this year but no doubt i will never be able to follow it perfectly due to kids, dogs and missus always somewhere around the world with her job! 

Where has everyone booked to stay etc - always nice to meet up other runners - I am flying from Liverpool on Easyjet at 6pm on thursday and staying in the Suite Novotel Postdamer Platz - lets start a list.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Did someone say a list? image Where's DV when you need him?image

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

Is DV the list master? image Don't want to upset anyone! 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I love lists. Bring it on - Andy - you can now be the list master for the Berlin thread!

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

I thought the term was list fairy...

• To whoever is doing list.

im staying at TRYP berlin mitte hotel. Apparently not far from start/finish.

going to fly out early fri from Luton, sadly have to come back on. The Sunday night.

• I'm staying at Hotel Central Inn am Hauptbahnhof, which based upon previous efforts, is probably a hundred miles away from the start/finish.

Anyone staying there?

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

AndyC - you in the North West?

There's the English Half in Warrington on September 8th

• andyc209andyc209 ✭✭✭

Orbutt good point, forgot about that one! image

• Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)

Jas -

I'd scrap Edinburgh and have a month to concentrate on getting the healing process well under way before Berlin training starts.

+1

Anyway, my plan: I'm going to try and do P&D up to 55 mile 18 week plan, and TD's ITLR plan until P&D starts.

Best laid plans and all that...

• sleaversleaver ✭✭✭

Hi All

I can't remember if I've posted in here before, so Hi.

I entered last year not having run a marathon before and while having lunch after the Brighton Marathon I can remember saying something along the lines of "Never again". However come the Monday, my views had changed image Now, as long as I can sort my little niggles out, I'll be in Berlin. Just got to get over the mental hurdle of booking flights!

Marathon aside, I've never been to Berlin before, so after what I've been through in the past 2 years, I thought I would extend it and make a short break out of it as well. Currently I'm thinking of getting the first flight on the Thursday and coming back on the last flight on Tuesday. So I'm thinking that taking travel, the expo, breakfast run and the marathon into account, that will leave me 2 1/2 - 3 days for sight seeing. For those that have been and done it all before, does that sound about right and if so will that be enough time to see the sights or will I have a very packed trip?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it although I'm slightly nervous as it will be the first time abroad alone for me and so I'm worried about eating before hand.

• EHNEHN ✭✭✭

Hi there Sleaver,

I have only visited Berlin the once but went on a Fat Tyre Bike Tour with a very informative guide. Your plans sound great.

Just read about the Marathon Of The North were only 1 runner ran the correct distance due to the Marshalls....not quite sure how I would deal with that if I was one of the runners but it would not be pleasant. So I am relying on the 30,000 in front of me in Berlin to follow the right course image...I want my medal!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Sleaver - remind me in a few days and I'll write up a sightseeing guide and post the link. I've been to Berlin a few times and loved it.