Lib Dems

After todays results are the Lib Dems now the 4th party and will they ever get into power again or even win back the respect of their previous voters ??

Comments

• oiyouoiyou ✭✭✭

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss them just yet. The 3 traditional parties have their roots in a philosphical approach about how society works & how the people that form it should be treated.

Single issues parties only have a scapegoat. There's no deeper thought involved.

• Not in 2015 that much is certain.

It depends what approach they take over the longer term but they have always been the third party and I  don't see what they could ever do to improve on that. People vote for them at local level but not in general elections.

• splodge75splodge75 ✭✭✭

I only had the choice of Tory or Lib Dem (I would have liked a Labour choice). In the past I would have voted Lib Dem. Couldn't bring myself to do it this time. Spoiled my paper for the first time ever.

• I wouldn't read too much into one local election result. Low turnout makes it a poor predictor of the general election result. There are also 2 more years to go, and they say a week is a long time in politics.

Not sure if the Lib Dems will be in power again after the general election. If either Labour or the Conservatives can get a majority then they won't be. Even if the opportunity to form a coalition is there, they might be less keen to take it this time...

• I think we'll be seeing many more coalitions in the future. The two main parties just don't have the loyal support they used to have, the conservatives are pissing off too many groups and labour just don't have any credible answers to the problems they dropped us in..

• they may well have lost a lot of their party faithful who have all taken nosebleeds at the first whiff of power but they have gained an admirer/potential voter in me.

i didn't think they had it in them.

• BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭

I have respect for Vince Cable, who is trying hard. Unfortunately, Nick Clegg is not politically toxified. 

They'll need to be visibly different to Camerons lot at the next election, or they will be wiped out.

• Slowfoot Going Goofy wrote (see)

After todays results are the Lib Dems now the 4th party and will they ever get into power again or even win back the respect of their previous voters ??

People respect politicians???????  There's a novel idea! image